Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FalconFanSince1969

A blurp I missed about Hayden Hurst. Competition from other teams

This was on my fantasy football page

The Patriots and Jaguars are interested in acquiring Hurst from the Ravens, Eugene Frenette of The Florida Times-Union reports reports.

Spin: The 2018 first-round pick reportedly wants an opportunity to catch more passes, after averaging 28.6 offensive snaps and 2.4 targets per game in 2019. He may be underutilized in Baltimore, but Hurst's well-rounded skill set makes him a valuable backup to both Mark Andrews and Nick Boyle in the Ravens' TE-heavy offense. It's a luxury the team can afford for the time being, though an offer of an early draft pick or a starting-caliber defensive player might persuade the Ravens to sacrifice some TE depth for the potential to score a significant upgrade at another position. Jacksonville and New England are obvious fits for any pass-catching tight end that becomes available this offseason.

Could explain the price tag a bit.

I saw something on Twitter today right after it was announced talking about several teams being in on him but I couldn't find it tonight when I was gonna post it in response to those asking why the Falcons had to give up a 2nd to get him.

53 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

This was on my fantasy football page

The Patriots and Jaguars are interested in acquiring Hurst from the Ravens, Eugene Frenette of The Florida Times-Union reports reports.

Spin: The 2018 first-round pick reportedly wants an opportunity to catch more passes, after averaging 28.6 offensive snaps and 2.4 targets per game in 2019. He may be underutilized in Baltimore, but Hurst's well-rounded skill set makes him a valuable backup to both Mark Andrews and Nick Boyle in the Ravens' TE-heavy offense. It's a luxury the team can afford for the time being, though an offer of an early draft pick or a starting-caliber defensive player might persuade the Ravens to sacrifice some TE depth for the potential to score a significant upgrade at another position. Jacksonville and New England are obvious fits for any pass-catching tight end that becomes available this offseason.

Could explain the price tag a bit.

And yet these other TE-needy teams wouldn't trade a 2nd for the Raven's third-stringer who was going to be let go this year or next?

Shocker.

3 minutes ago, Roanoke Falcon said:

And yet these other TE-needy teams wouldn't trade a 2nd for the Raven's third-stringer who was going to be let go this year or next?

Shocker.

Let go of? Former first round pick, with great athleticism? Someone would have traded for him in that scenario. For the billionth time, he was buried on the depth chart due to two other, entrenched TE. Bet you Hooper, Boyle (one of the TE that blocked him in BAL), and many others get tackled short of the goal line here:

1 minute ago, TXAintsHater said:

Let go of? Former first round pick, with great athleticism? Someone would have traded for him in that scenario. For the billionth time, he was buried on the depth chart due to two other, entrenched TE. Bet you Hooper, Boyle (one of the TE that blocked him in BAL), and many others get tackled short of the goal line here:

Wasn't fast enough to outrun the bust label.

Couldn't catch and hold onto the 1st OR 2nd string jobs.

May be a gold medalist in the underwear olympics, but still lost his job to not one, but TWO other dudes.

26 minutes ago, Roanoke Falcon said:

Shocker.

Let go? Still 3rd on his teams receiving list yet couldn't be a second stringer. Lol where are you making this **** up from?

Also, I bet the Pat's wish they had a 2nd rd pick to trade with:lol:

The Patriots are reportedly exploring a trade for Baltimore Ravens tight end Hayden Hurst,

according to Eugene Frenette of The Florida Times-Union. The Jacksonville Jaguars are also interesting in adding the 2018 first-round pick, and whether the Ravens deal Hurst or not will depend on what draft capital teams are willing to give up, according to Frenette.

The Patriots have a nice collection of 2020 picks, so they should have the capital to swing a deal for Hurst. That is, as long as the Ravens are willing to help a team trying to catch them in the AFC.

1 minute ago, UnrealfalcoN said:

Let go? Lol where are you making this **** up from?

Also, I bet the Pat's wish they had a 2nd rd pick to trade with:lol:

It had been reported that the Ravens were unlikely to exercize the 5th year option next year. If he survived this year's camp, he would almost certainly have been an unrestricted free agent next year.

4 minutes ago, Roanoke Falcon said:

It had been reported that the Ravens were unlikely to exercize the 5th year option next year. If he survived this year's camp, he would almost certainly have been an unrestricted free agent next year.

I don't see any reports of not picking up his 5th year option, do you have a link?

Why wouldn't he survive camp when he was still an integral part of the team? Makes no sense. Lastly, he would not even be an UFA till 2022, even without counting his 5th year option.

7 minutes ago, Roanoke Falcon said:

He wouldn't be a free agent until 2022 for one. And for two, why would they even be discussing his 5th year option two years in advance??

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

He wouldn't be a free agent until 2022 for one. And for two, why would they even be discussing his 5th year option two years in advance??

As I said, if he wasn't cut this year, they were going to let him walk for nothing next year, at the end of his 4th year under his rookie contract.

Why the discussion about not utilizing his 5th year option?

Because he was a bust third stringer that couldn't keep even a backup job.

Because he was relegated to a 3rd stringer.

because he was a wasted roster spot for Baltimore.

Edited by Roanoke Falcon

47 minutes ago, Roanoke Falcon said:

Shocker.

How do you know other TE-needy teams woiuldn't trade a 2nd?  Please divulge your source so that we can believe you have some credibility.  My source shows that other teams were negotiating.

He was a third stringer who was going to be let go this year or next?  OK, what is your source.  How can you possibly know this?  The Ravens publicly stated they were going to let a player go who was not let go?  Or, you are a member of the Ravens staff and were told this in confidence? 

Are you making these things up?  Say anything to convince yourself you won a debate?  Have you ever considered to simply discuss the merits of the trade without the drama and hyperbole?

1 hour ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Cooking up news to ***** about every move this team makes:lol:

Everywhere I read Ravens fans opinion about the guy, it's been overwhelmingly positive

• This actually saddens me. Wish him nothing but the best!
  • Itotally agree. Sad to see him go
  • He’s not just solid, he’s underrated. If he could block better and not have been hurt his rookie year, he’d probably be our #1 TE. Ozzie don’t draft scrub TEs in the first round. Darren Waller, Maxx Williams, and Delanie Walker just to name a few still playing were found by Ozzie. Hurst is gonna ball out for y’all. BELEE dat.
  • Work you magic for Atlanta Hayden Hurst. You deserve the ball a ton and Matty Ice will deliver it to you.
  • I’m bummed. He’s got lots of potential. Injuries slowed him down, but I can see him bailing out with Atlanta, especially with defenses  busy with containing Julio Jones.
  • I would not be surprised to see him ball out in ATL.
  • **** wish he would've stayed. Could only see him improving.
  • Sad to see him go, I think they should have kept him. Great hands and a big presence on the field.
  • Unfortunately I feel he is better off elsewhere.  He is a great player and super high character guy.
  • I guess I don’t hate it. ATL would have a pretty early 2nd round pick right?
  1. Will miss Hayden though and I think he’ll be just as good as Andrews with more opportunity. I hope we don’t end up regretting letting him go.
  • Yep, I thought his hands were better than Andrews and straight speed. Andrews just got used a lot more.
  • Andrews just knows how to get open. A lot of hursts catches were contested where as Andrews was wide open on a lot of his. I think that’s the big difference between the 2 as receivers.
  • I absolutely can say that. And I did. And I’ll say it again 

I love Andrews but most agree Hurst is a better blocker and has better hands. They have similar athletic profiles. Hurst has looked good in his opportunities. 

• It doesn’t seem unreasonable that Hurst could make the jump to being a top 10ish TE with more chances
  • Hurst most certainly has better hands than Andrews. There's just no way around that. He has a 77% catch %, which is really good. And frankly, I don't remember him ever dropping a ball. Andrews definitely had issues with drops this year.
  • I’m afraid that hat we will regret this if he gets targeted like Andrews has been targeted
  • I don’t love this, but it’s a good return on Hurst. He’s gonna pop off in Atlanta with Hooper gone.
  • Torn on this one boys.
  • We have something that works with that TE group and their versatility in the run game and play-action pass. Not to mention, Hurst is cost-controlled and affordable.
  • This team is built to win now, I don't see the point of trading cheap assets that fit the team for draft capital... Either way, I trust EDC, and I hope that we now feel comfortable using more of that draft capital to make more deals for vets at positions of need (G, C, MLB, DE, OLB).
  • Congrats to Hayden, he's going to shine with the volume he'll see in Atlanta.
  • I don't like trading Hayden Hurst can someone explain why I should feel any different way.
  • Wish him the best. Honestly couldn’t have landed in a better spot, so it looks like Baltimore did him right. Atlanta has a good history of utilizing their TEs and the latest example just got paid in Cleveland.
  • I'll say I don't hate this.

The good: Hurst is a great TE who deserves to be a #1, but with Andrews around, it just wasn't going to happen and we didn't use him as much as we should. He was always going to split time against Boyle and probably deserved more than that. It's just so hard to not feed Andrews the ball all the time. I'm really excited for him to see what he can do as a #1 TE (at least, I assume he will be? I don't know the Falcons all that well).

I also think a 2nd and a 5th is a fantastic price for him. (Edit: I just read we're also giving them a 4th, still not a terrible deal, IMO)

The bad: One aspect of this team that I loved is that we did have 3 really strong TEs that we could count on. it's always been a characteristic of this team that TEs were important and with how much it seems Lamar likes TEs, I'm curious to see if we draft a rookie TE or bring in a new face, or if the game plan changes slightly.

He wasn't constantly being fed the ball, but when he was, he made it count. That TD he had this season (I can't remember the game) where he just broke free and outran anyone was one of the most exciting plays of the year, during a year where there were a lot of exciting play. His speed just caught me so off guard and I liked that he had that in his pocket.

Overall, it's not like we're trading our #2 TE for peanuts and he gets a chance to shine, which I think he deserves.

• I don't like the move personally, they gave up on him too quickly.  If the Ravens got a 2nd and traded 4ths I would have been ok with that. Hayden plus a 4th is short sighted to me. 

Maybe he wanted out and they were worried about chemistry?

• Dude I’m actually excited to see how good he’ll be when he’s actually given consistent snaps. People were questioning us when he was a 1st round pick, but they’re gonna be in awe when he breaks out similar to mandrews this year. Matt Ryan loves throwing to TEs and he will get people the ball consistently. He’s gonna be able to prove all his doubters wrong

13 minutes ago, Roanoke Falcon said:

As I said, if he wasn't cut this year, they were going to let him walk for nothing next year, at the end of his 4th year under his rookie contract.

Why the discussion about not utilizing his 5th year option?

Because he was a bust third stringer that couldn't keep even a backup job.

Because he was relegated to a 3rd stringer.

because he was a wasted roster spot for Baltimore.

Next year he is still under contract. How are you not getting this?

56 minutes ago, Roanoke Falcon said:

Wasn't fast enough to outrun the bust label.

Couldn't catch and hold onto the 1st OR 2nd string jobs.

May be a gold medalist in the underwear olympics, but still lost his job to not one, but TWO other dudes.

2nd string job is because Boyle is a blocker...love how many people just read one guy's opinion and don't speak facts

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, NaGaBoy said:

1) How do you know other TE-needy teams woiuldn't trade a 2nd?  Please divulge your source so that we can believe you have some credibility.  My source shows that other teams were negotiating.

2) He was a third stringer---

3) who was going to be let go this year or next?

1) Because they didn't, and both had higher 2nd rounders than the one we traded.

2) Ravens depth chart at TE before today's fleecing: Starter: Mark Andrews. 2nd: Nick Boyle

3) When the trade was announced on Sirius XM Radio's NFL Network, it was mentioned that the Ravens were unlikely to extend a 5th year option on a #3 TE. In looking him up (since he had zero NFL needle-movement the past two years), I read a couple different articles stating the team's disappointment with him, and unlikelihood of a contract extension.

Falcons acquire TE Hayden Hurst from Ravens for 2nd-round pick (plus swaps of 4th- and 5th-rounders)
It's only the first day of free agency, and yet Ravens general manager Eric DeCosta would have already locked up the Personnel Man of the Year award if it wasn't for Steve Keim acquiring DeAndre Hopkins for nothing. Amazingly, DeCosta dealt a fifth-round pick for Calais Campbell and obtained a second-rounder for Hayden Hurst. This is a huge steal, as the Ravens will likely obtain a significant player in exchange for a marginal tight end.

That's exactly what Hurst is. He was a first-round pick in the 2018 NFL Draft, but the selling point with him was that he would become a solid player right away because of his age (24 at the time). Hurst, however, struggled to become a consistent presence in Baltimore's offense. Turning 27 soon, Hurst likely is not going to develop into anything special. I imagine his fantasy output will increase with Matt Ryan, but that doesn't mean he's worth a second-round pick.

The Ravens obviously won this trade. If you were to ask me what I thought Baltimore would get from Atlanta for Hurst, I would have guessed a fifth-round selection. The Falcons were robbed.

Grade for Falcons - D-
Grade for Ravens - A+

Edited by Roanoke Falcon

7 minutes ago, Roanoke Falcon said:

1) Because they didn't, and both had higher 2nd rounders than the one we traded.

2) Ravens depth chart at TE before today's fleecing: Starter: Mark Andrews. 2nd: Nick Boyle

3) When the trade was announced on Sirius XM Radio's NFL Network, it was mentioned that the Ravens were unlikely to extend a 5th year option on a #3 TE. In looking him up (since he had zero NFL needle-movement the past two years), I read a couple different articles stating the team's disappointment with him, and unlikelihood of a contract extension.

New England doesnt have a 2nd round pick

12 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Next year he is still under contract. How are you not getting this?

His contract expires at next season's end.

2018/2019: Rookie

2019/2020:Year #2 for Ravens

2020/2021: Year 3 of contract, first for us (assuming he makes roster)

2021/2022: (again, assuming he makes roster--- no sure thing) Year 4 of rookie contract, which expires at conclusion of season unless 5th year option exercised.

2 minutes ago, Roanoke Falcon said:

His contract expires at next season's end.

2018/2019: Rookie

2019/2020:Year #2 for Ravens

2020/2021: Year 3 of contract, first for us (assuming he makes roster)

2021/2022: (again, assuming he makes roster--- no sure thing) Year 4 of rookie contract, which expires at conclusion of season unless 5th year option exercised.

16 minutes ago, Roanoke Falcon said:

Whoopty doo you found an article that didn't like the trade.

Falcons trade grade: B+ 

This marriage works for both sides. Atlanta wasted no time in replacing Austin Hooper, who is set to ink a deal with the Cleveland Browns when the league year officially opens on Wednesday. Meanwhile, Hurst will seemingly get his wish in having an opportunity to catch more passes in the NFL. In just 13 games played in 2019, Hooper saw 97 targets, which should largely go Hurst's way as he's the favorite to be TE1 on the depth chart in 2020. 

This is also a very appealing contract that the Falcons are getting. Instead of paying Hooper as the highest paid tight end in the league, Hurst is still on his rookie deal and under team control for the next three seasons. His cap hit in 2020 is just under $1.5 million. Chump change. 

The only reason this grade doesn't get into the A category yet for the Falcons is because Hurst is unproven. In theory, getting a tight end who was a former first round pick sounds ideal, but Hurst has yet to blossom. Last year he caught just 30 passes for 349 yards and two touchdowns in 16 games played. It was only his second year in the NFL, so there is plenty of room to grow and Hurst certainly has the talent to be a special tight end. We just need to see it a bit more before calling it a slam dunk for the Falcons. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/hayden-hurst-trade-grades-falcons-replace-austin-hooper-ravens-continue-to-add-draft-capital/

I found one that did. Mom is gonna be pissed when she finds out you're on the computer.

22 minutes ago, Roanoke Falcon said:

1) which team? Pats dont have a second rd pick and the Jags pick is waaay more expensive than ours.

2) Nick Boyle is the blocking TE on the number one rushing offense in the NFL. Does it makes sense to have the blocking TE on the field when they're running? Considering that Andrews is a terrible blocker?

3) post a link please about the Baltimore FO's opinion about the player, quoting some random guy's opinion on a radio show doesn't hold weight

Team stats. Gp. Rec. Yards. TDs

1 Andrews, M. TE
15   64   852 10
2 Brown, M. WR
14 46   584.   7
3 Hurst, H. TE
16 30   349 2

Hurst is 27, actually older than Hooper. He was given every chance to succeed in Baltimore; he failed. At 27 years old, he is likely not going to grow. He is probably not going to improve. Even if he does, at the end of his ROOKIE deal he will be on the cusp of being 30 years old.

This schlep not only is unlikely to produce now, with age 30 approaching almost as fast as the end of his rookie contract, he is even more unlikely to do anything ever.

18 minutes ago, Roanoke Falcon said:

Lol you're funny. I can guarantee you that Hurst will be on the Roster till 2022 and beyond. **** he's already TE1 on our roster and will stay there

3 hours ago, Roanoke Falcon said:

Shocker.

Well the Patriots didn't have a second rounder so...