Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Goober Pyle

Grade the trade: Falcons fill void at tight end with Ravens’ Hayden Hurst

https://theathletic.com/1679599/2020/03/16/grade-the-trade-falcons-fill-void-at-tight-end-with-ravens-hayden-hurst/

The Baltimore Ravens traded tight end Hayden Hurst and a fourth-round pick to the Atlanta Falcons for second- and fifth-round selections, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter. All picks will be made in the 2020 draft. The second-round choice involved will be 55th and was acquired from New England in the Mohamed Sanu trade.

Why they made the move

The Falcons needed a fallback at tight end after losing starter Austin Hooper to the Cleveland Browns in free agency. Depending upon contract particulars and how Atlanta proceeds in free agency, the Falcons could receive a compensatory choice for Hooper in the third or fourth round in 2021. That doesn’t factor into the trade from Baltimore’s standpoint, but it had to be a consideration for the Falcons as they decided how to proceed at the position. For the Falcons, whose salary-cap situation is tight, the choice could have been between signing Hooper for top dollar at the expense of another veteran or adding Hurst and a fourth-rounder, plus a potential comp pick in 2021, in exchange for second- and fifth-round picks this year. Hurst is under contract through the 2021 season, with Atlanta possessing a fifth-year option. This trade can look very good from the Falcons’ standpoint if Hurst flourishes in a more conventional offense after losing out to Mark Andrews in Baltimore.

The Ravens had a glut of talent at tight end and probably could not refuse a second-round pick as part of the deal for Hurst, a 2018 first-round pick who had not met expectations. Baltimore has gotten good production at tight end from 2018 third-round pick Mark Andrews, who had 64 receptions for 852 yards and 10 touchdowns last season, and could afford to part with Hurst. The Ravens also still have blocking tight end Nick Boyle, who led Baltimore’s tight ends in playing time last season and basically matched Hurst’s production as a receiver.

Trade grade

For the Falcons: B-minus. We’re evaluating the merits of this trade in the context of the Falcons’ broader plan (predicament?) at the position and within the context of their salary-cap situation. Atlanta is betting Hurst can replace Hooper and outperform any of the tight ends the Falcons might have selected in the draft. Having an additional second-round pick from New England via the Sanu trade helped enable the deal. The Falcons essentially exchanged Sanu, Hooper at more than $10 million per year and a fourth-round pick for Hurst at less than $3 million per year, a fifth-rounder and a potential 2021 comp pick in the third or fourth round. Hurst averaged more yards per target than Hooper last season on much less volume. Uncertainty over how well Hurst might produce keeps this grade teetering between a B-minus and C-plus for now.

For the Ravens: B-plus. Baltimore missed on Hurst in 2018, but that is not what we are grading. Within the narrow scope of this exchange with Atlanta, the Ravens did well to get a second-round choice. They are parting with the 2020 and 2021 seasons of Hurst, who probably was not going to be a candidate for a fully guaranteed fifth-year option or long-term extension down the line. The Ravens moved on quickly from a player whose role had diminished and got value, which seems quite good for them.

3 minutes ago, OrthoPTSD said:

Baltimore trading third string TE for a second rounder is a home run for that team the way they are set up.

Hurst and Graham both run like their hair is on fire, hope this is the beginning of productive double tight sets with Graham second year jump.

The fact the Ravens had 3 TE's that could possibly start on possibly up to half the other teams in the nfl is crazy in itself lol.  Them were some TE drafting fools and did extremely well at it i actually don't hate trading for players on teams that have a surplus from a position that they are known to draft well at. More often than not they hit on those positions and you get back a really good player based on their drafting expertise compared to your own.

7 minutes ago, OrthoPTSD said:

Baltimore trading third string TE for a second rounder is a home run for that team the way they are set up.

Hurst and Graham both run like their hair is on fire, hope this is the beginning of productive double tight sets with Graham second year jump.

It’s also Graham’s 3rd year. :3

2 minutes ago, FalconFan13 said:

The fact the Ravens had 3 TE's that could possibly start on possibly up to half the other teams in the nfl is crazy in itself lol.  Them were some TE drafting fools and did extremely well at it i actually don't hate trading for players on teams that have a surplus from a position that they are known to draft well at. More often than not they hit on those positions and you get back a really good player based on their drafting expertise compared to your own.

Yep. Just like how we could trade Sanu for a 2nd...we got way more potentially back in Hurst; if he performs well at all its a cap savings over Hoop and is essentially Sanu salary dump to get a TE that is NFL ready now and likely better than most TEs in this class will be within 2 years.

The major play here is looking to add a big piece on defense this week, IMO that is what makes this overall deal be HR for the Falcons letting Hoop go.

18 minutes ago, Cole World said:

143 their compensatory pick

15 minutes ago, Fleurieu falcon said:

Cheers 

Yep. The article is wrong, too. We didn’t give up our 4th to receive a 5th.

We moved up 14 spots from our 5th rounder to the comp picks ending round 4.

Last year, we leveraged one of those picks to trade up; iirc, for either Kendall Sheffield or John Cominsky.

This is a hard pill for most fans to swallow. When you think of the potential that a 2nd round pick can bring to the team it makes you sick. When you factor in the position Hurst plays and the state of the defense you instantly say there's the same old Falcons. Emphasis on offense and they will field the same terrible defense. 

After taking a step back I can see why the Falcons made the trade. $$$, value. TD and Quinn are on a short leash. They found a way to replace Hooper at almost 1/4 the cost. They're all in. TE was a need. From a value standpoint it's hard for us draft guru's to justify giving up a 2nd for a TE. I have confidence that Hurst will ease these concerns once he's on the field. As it stands now the Falcons should get a comp pick as well from Hooper.

As for the defense I really don't know what to think at this point. The release of Trufant surprised me. I'm interested to see what they do for pass rush and replacing Trufant most of all. 

Can he cover? Can he rush the passer? Can he block? Can he run the ball? If all your answers are no to these, we're basically just pissing in the wind.. 

We have Julio, we have Ridley.. If those guys cant get it done on the offensive side of the ball.. Added the greatest TE to ever play the game isnt going to make much of a difference 

Unfortunately, our front office cant understand defense wins you games

29 minutes ago, quotemokc said:

D, almost as bad as the Patriots giving up a 2nd for Sanu.

Having two 2nd rounders would have been way better for us, thats a corner and stud RB easy.

or it's a TE from this draft class that imo sucks and not moving up into the 4th round.  Dimitroff could have very easily drafted a TE in the 2nd round this year and reached on a TE not as good as Hurst.  It seems he valued a TE highly since we gave up a 2nd to get one so im pretty sure he would have taken one early even though i didn't want him too lol.

9 minutes ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Can he cover? Can he rush the passer? Can he block? Can he run the ball? If all your answers are no to these, we're basically just pissing in the wind.. 

We have Julio, we have Ridley.. If those guys cant get it done on the offensive side of the ball.. Added the greatest TE to ever play the game isnt going to make much of a difference 

Well, I guess I need to state the obvious.

1.  It is not over.  We will draft players and sign FAs.  I am guessing we will get a CB, DT, DE, OLG, ORG, and RB

2.  Yes, he can block.

3.  Yes, Julio and Ridley can play.  But, we also need a TE.  We lost a good one and signed a good one.  He is not the greatest, but I suspect he can do what we need.

4.  Teams win you games.  It is not all defense.  It is not all offense.  It is not all ST.  It takes a comprehensive team to win a game.  Also, I suspect the Falcons are concerned about the defense.  If you go to www.atlantafalcons.com, you will quickly see most of the videos posted by coaches are defensive coaches talking about what they need to get done.  We cut Tru.  I thought he was over-rated and worse, was not good against big receivers.  I think you will see the Falcons acquire a CB, DT, and DE soon.  I think we may see a S and LB added.  I would not be shocked to see 2 CBs added.

If you see the Falcons do something to improve the offense tomorrow, it does not mean the entire defensive staff is on a Maui beach sipping cocktails.  You take the opportunities when they avail themselves. 

One more point.  The Hooper to Hurst move freed $8M in cap space assuming Hooper got $11M each year (4 years at $44M).  Some of that $8M will be spent on defense. 

56 minutes ago, Schwarzwald said:

It’s also Graham’s 3rd year. :3

He was an UDFA. Big difference than a 1-3 round draft pick. 

So many people wanted to can Hooper after his first two years because of the developmental curve. Now y’all wanna sacrifice that time again? Why not get someone that has blocked NFL players and played at NFL speed?

This is a good move. 

38 minutes ago, Matt_The Iceman_Ryan said:

After sitting back for a second, we essentially traded Sanu and a 5th for Hurst and a 4th...and let Hooper walk for a 2021 3rd or 4th...

Thats not bad

Don’t like mixing trades together like that.  Each one should be judged on it’s on merit.  Putting these two together makes the Hurst deal look better because Falcons raped the Patriots.   While the Ravens didn’t rape the Falcons, they did go in dry and no flowers were sent.

30 minutes ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

That’s what annoys me.  If we believe Matt Ryan is ELITE - why does he need three ELITE weapons?

16 minutes ago, NaGaBoy said:

Well, I guess I need to state the obvious.

1.  It is not over.  We will draft players and sign FAs.  I am guessing we will get a CB, DT, DE, OLG, ORG, and RB

2.  Yes, he can block.

3.  Yes, Julio and Ridley can play.  But, we also need a TE.  We lost a good one and signed a good one.  He is not the greatest, but I suspect he can do what we need.

4.  Teams win you games.  It is not all defense.  It is not all offense.  It is not all ST.  It takes a comprehensive team to win a game.  Also, I suspect the Falcons are concerned about the defense.  If you go to www.atlantafalcons.com, you will quickly see most of the videos posted by coaches are defensive coaches talking about what they need to get done.  We cut Tru.  I thought he was over-rated and worse, was not good against big receivers.  I think you will see the Falcons acquire a CB, DT, and DE soon.  I think we may see a S and LB added.  I would not be shocked to see 2 CBs added.

If you see the Falcons do something to improve the offense tomorrow, it does not mean the entire defensive staff is on a Maui beach sipping cocktails.  You take the opportunities when they avail themselves. 

One more point.  The Hooper to Hurst move freed $8M in cap space assuming Hooper got $11M each year (4 years at $44M).  Some of that $8M will be spent on defense. 

It didn't free up anything because Hooper wasn't being paid that here.

1 hour ago, Falcons_Frenzy said:

We all knew the Falcons were going to trade one of their top 3 picks.

Is it surprising that TD traded away a valuable 2nd round pick? No, not at all surprising.

But for a flopping pile of fail?

Actually--- yeah. That is also not surprising.