Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FalconsIn2012

DeAndre Hopkins Traded to AZ

There is some buzz that Hopkins wasn't happy w/ his contract, because there is no more guaranteed money owed. With $40M & 3 years remaining on his current deal, Houston wasn't willing to negotiate w/ him & opted to trade him instead.

Basically what some folks here though we should've done w/ Julio when he was having a similar issue w/ his contract.

6 minutes ago, k-train said:

There is some buzz that Hopkins wasn't happy w/ his contract, because there is no more guaranteed money owed. With $40M & 3 years remaining on his current deal, Houston wasn't willing to negotiate w/ him & opted to trade him instead.

Basically what some folks here though we should've done w/ Julio when he was having a similar issue w/ his contract.

Has to be what you said.

A 2nd rounder and a RB that hasnt produced in years.....

Yea, I'm just glad the MB fan-base didnt have any say in whether or not to trade Julio. If I'm a Texans fan right now, I'm beyond pissed at my FO.

3 minutes ago, tactician said:

D. Hopkins wanted a reworked deal and Houston had no draft capital. He must have been quietly threatening a hold out and that scared teams thus reducing his trade value.

I heard he slept with the GM's wife...ooooh wait thats the Head Coach lol

Well I won't complain about our FO too much anymore. They just traded arguably the best WR in the game for a possible washed up RB. I know there are draft picks involved but still a RB? 

19 minutes ago, tactician said:

D. Hopkins wanted a reworked deal and Houston had no draft capital. He must have been quietly threatening a hold out and that scared teams thus reducing his trade value.

Yep.

Folks need to look at it in full perspective & remember that Deshaun Watson is in the final year of his deal. Surely his agent is salivating at whatever monumental sum Mahomes will ultimately be getting & will try to ask for something close to that.

Also gotta consider that JJ Watt has just 1 year left after this season & has had no remaining guaranteed money on his current deal since 2017. He's almost certainly looking to re-do his deal as well, and it wouldn't shock me at all to see an extension for him worked out any time now.

So they weren't gonna also make Hopkins the highest paid WR in the NFL, which is almost certainly what a new deal for him would take. Rather than having him hold out and potentially become a distraction in the locker room and media, they decided to move on & at least get something in return.