Jump to content

Austin Hooper’s value


Recommended Posts

Just now, atljbo said:

this my biggest problem with TD....... Im franchising then trading Hoop....... Teams would work out a deal and do a trade and extend him

It works with pass rushers and QBs because they're a premium position. When is the last time you've seen a non pass rusher or QB get tagged and traded?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TXAintsHater said:

Sounds like teams such as GB and WAS (maybe one or two others, like NE?) really want him, tag and get a 2nd for him.

Yea, they really want him because they don't have to trade a 2nd for him.....

 

Nobody is giving up a 2nd on top of a 15m a year contract for a TE>

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, atljbo said:

this my biggest problem with TD....... Im franchising then trading Hoop....... Teams would work out a deal and do a trade and extend him

Franchising means that we cut all those players simply to make room for Hooper‘s salary under the tag. He immediately counts against the cap. 

We would be back to square one and could not do anything in free agency. And other teams know that and use it as leverage against us. In the end, we wouldn‘t get anything other than we will get from the comp pick in 2021. But we would have wasted  the first days and weeks of free agency.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Cleveland.com's Mary Kay Cabot reports former-Falcons TE Austin Hooper is on the Browns' radar.

Hooper is reportedly expected to "reset" the TE market. It's honestly a bit confusing as to why this is the case. Sure, Hooper posted a plenty-respectable 75-787-6 receiving line in just 13 games in 2019, regularly providing Matt Ryan with a reliable underneath target in the middle of the field. Yet, he's largely been graded as an average (at best) run blocker by PFF throughout his career, and his average of 8.1 yards per target since 2016 ranks 21st among 86 TEs (minimum 50 targets). Hooper is anyone's idea of an above-average TE, but whether or not he'll produce enough to warrant a monster contract remains to be seen.

 

 

 

Exactly what a lot of us here think..

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Cleveland.com's Mary Kay Cabot reports former-Falcons TE Austin Hooper is on the Browns' radar.

Hooper is reportedly expected to "reset" the TE market. It's honestly a bit confusing as to why this is the case. Sure, Hooper posted a plenty-respectable 75-787-6 receiving line in just 13 games in 2019, regularly providing Matt Ryan with a reliable underneath target in the middle of the field. Yet, he's largely been graded as an average (at best) run blocker by PFF throughout his career, and his average of 8.1 yards per target since 2016 ranks 21st among 86 TEs (minimum 50 targets). Hooper is anyone's idea of an above-average TE, but whether or not he'll produce enough to warrant a monster contract remains to be seen.

 

 

 

Exactly what a lot of us here think..

He actually might work for the Browns if OBJ and Mayfield get their act together. He could continue to exploit holes in the zone, designed to limit OBJ and Landry.

But if Hooper signs with the Redskins, people there will be disappointed. No veteran QB and no outside threat, he will receive man coverage every play and he simply does not beat coverage very often. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Herr Beast said:

He actually might work for the Browns if OBJ and Mayfield get their act together. He could continue to exploit holes in the zone, designed to limit OBJ and Landry.

But if Hooper signs with the Redskins, people there will be disappointed. No veteran QB and no outside threat, he will receive man coverage every play and he simply does not beat coverage very often. 

Re: the Redskins part, I totally disagree. I live up here, and all I hear from fans and the media here is how much they'd LOVE to have Hooper here - especially after the never ending saga that was Jordan Reed. 

While I'd have no desire to pay him $10-15M, some team will, and as long as it's much closer to $10M, they will be pretty happy with him as long as they don't count on him being a star pass catcher. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, k-train said:

I’m listening to the Around the NFL podcast & Greg Rosenthal mentioned that he’s been told Hooper will indeed be resetting the TE market.

While that’s kinda been common knowledge for a bit, Rosenthal says he would not be shocked to see Hooper get $15M per year. :o

A fool is born every minute...

Link to post
Share on other sites

I find PFF to be hit or miss, but this overview of Hooper was interesting.

Hooper has developed into a solid receiving option, but he’s more of a dependable, complementary piece rather than a mismatch creator. Since 2016, Hooper has gained 75.5% of his receiving production on targets defined as holes in zones or underneath the defense (think drag routes, flat routes) — by far the highest percentage in the league. Add to it that Hooper has just a 58.9 receiving grade against single coverage since 2016, and it’s clear that his production has largely been a product of the situation in Atlanta. All that said, Hooper is a mid-tier run blocker who can take advantage of being surrounded by good playmakers on the outside, and he has value as a complementary piece in the passing game.

This seems like a fair overview of Hooper. He is a very good tight end, but not a game changer like some of the other tight ends in football. I would love to have him back not at the money it will take. That type of money should be reserved for guys like Kittle, Kelce, and Gronk. Guys that draw the type of attention Julio receives on a weekly basis.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...