Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Goober Pyle

Arthur Blank to pay all hourly employees during coronavirus shutdown

https://theathletic.com/1675202/2020/03/13/arthur-blank-to-pay-all-hourly-employees-during-coronavirus-shutdown/

In response to the COVID-19 pandemic that has halted sports in the U.S., owner Arthur Blank has pledged to continue paying hourly employees who work for each of the businesses he owns.

Speaking with The Athletic on Friday afternoon, Falcons team president Rich McKay said the decision to ensure hourly employees were not affected negatively during the pandemic was an easy one to make. McKay mentioned there are numerous hourly employees who work for Atlanta United and the Falcons and also at Mercedes-Benz Stadium and the remaining companies that are a part of The Blank Family of Businesses, which is managed by the AMB Group.

McKay said AMB Group CEO Steve Cannon distributed a video communication to all employees to ease any concern they may have.

“We’ve tried to over-communicate at a time where there’s no question people have personal angst and anxiety,” McKay said. “You’ve got to be empathetic towards it because it’s real.”

One of the major economic issues facing the U.S. is how hourly employees will continue to collect paychecks if they become sick or if their place of work is forced to close. Sports teams are no different. Almost immediately after the NBA announced it was suspending its season, Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban said he would ensure hourly employees were taken care of.

The Hawks also will pay their hourly employees during this time of crisis. McKay said he was in constant communication with Hawks CEO Steve Koonin and Atlanta Braves president/CEO Derek Schiller about the topic.

“One thing we’re led by is our core values and the way Arthur looks at it,” McKay said. “That’s going to lead us in how we treat our people, which I can assure you we’ll do the right thing that way. The financial side of our business and the impact of that side of our business is not something we’re concerned about. It is not something we’ve spent time talking about.”

What hasn’t been decided just yet is how game-day workers will be paid. The upcoming schedule at Mercedes-Benz Stadium included a game between Atlanta United and Sporting Kansas City on Saturday, with a long break before the Final Four from April 4-6. The MLS is suspended for 30 days, at least for now, with Atlanta United’s home game against the Portland Timbers scheduled for April 19.

As it pertains to the employees who work games, McKay said a policy is still being drafted to ensure payouts for missed work are fairly distributed.

“Some work one event, some work two events, some work all events,” McKay said. “We’re working through all those details as we speak. We’ll give it to you when we finish it and hopefully we will finish it within the next day.”

Both Atlanta United and the Falcons are in a holding pattern as COVID-19, the coronavirus-caused disease, continues to spread through the U.S. The Falcons initially were closing their facility until Monday but decided to close up shop until March 27. The NFL has yet to make a final determination on whether it will hold its annual draft in Las Vegas in front of fans or if it will alter its plans.

Plans all over the sports world have been changing seemingly by the hour, with everyone involved continuing to try to figure out how to best approach sports during a pandemic.

“It’s uncharted territory,” McKay said.

Wish we would treat these hourly and/or paycheck to paycheck workers with dignity and respect all the time instead of only in times of need. 

I know Mr Blank is one of the good ones but so many 1 percenters out there that are leaving their people out to dry right now that rely on a paycheck to put food on the table and pay the rent. 

45 minutes ago, Vandy said:

For some reason, Blank catches a lot of flack in TAFT for somehow being a major reason we don’t have any rings. Which is ridiculous. Truth-to-tell, he should have at least one, arguably two rings.

And at end of day he’s the best owner in Atlanta sports history. 

He's one of the best things to happen to Atlanta, bar none. There are artists, sports stars, and other public figures that some people worship that hasn't done 5% of what Arthur has for the city

So what is the big deal?  I am a part owner of a business and we will be doing the same.  We have over 100 employees.  

Locally, most companies are doing the same.  Glad to hear Blank is on board.

3 hours ago, Vandy said:

For some reason, Blank catches a lot of flack in TAFT for somehow being a major reason we don’t have any rings. Which is ridiculous. Truth-to-tell, he should have at least one, arguably two rings.

And at end of day he’s the best owner in Atlanta sports history. 

Blank is one of the all time nice guys in sports. I’m hoping the Falcons win one for him because he deserves every good thing that comes his way

57 minutes ago, etherdome said:

So what is the big deal?  I am a part owner of a business and we will be doing the same.  We have over 100 employees.  

Yeah, that last part isn’t true. I know tons of businesses that aren’t going to do it unless forced to. My company is one of them. I salute you for being one of the good guys 

54 minutes ago, etherdome said:

Lol if we had a guys who's wife and coworkers at his second job get coronavirus and they told him to come in or never come back.

UPS is some ****s. 

AB is By far the best thing that has happened to the Falcons team and fans.. He does everything in his power to make this team #1 every year since he has owned it.. I happen to think he will succeed in time... I think within the next 3 years we will win the big one.

1 hour ago, youngbloodz said:

Yeah, that last part isn’t true. I know tons of businesses that aren’t going to do it unless forced to. My company is one of them. I salute you for being one of the good guys 

Sorry to read that.  SMH.  

Richard Branson is credited with a really great quote.  I will paraphrase.  It is basically:  I don't worry about my customers.  I take care of my employees and they take care of my customers.  

8 minutes ago, etherdome said:

Richard Branson is credited with a really great quote.  I will paraphrase.  It is basically:  I don't worry about my customers.  I take care of my employees and they take care of my customers.  

Wish more companies subscribed to that

8 hours ago, UnrealfalcoN said:

He's one of the best things to happen to Atlanta, bar none. There are artists, sports stars, and other public figures that some people worship that hasn't done 5% of what Arthur has for the city

5 hours ago, youngbloodz said:

Blank is one of the all time nice guys in sports. I’m hoping the Falcons win one for him because he deserves every good thing that comes his way

Truths. 

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Ovie_Lover said:

Lol if we had a guys who's wife and coworkers at his second job get coronavirus and they told him to come in or never come back.

UPS is some ****s. 

I told you brother what a **** company UPS is now.  Took me 18 years to open my eyes.

So glad l left.

BTW thanks for being a good dude Artie!

Edited by Godzilla1985

11 minutes ago, Godzilla1985 said:

I told you brother what a **** company UPS is now.  Took me 18 years to open my eyes.

So glad l left.

BTW thanks for being a good dude Artie!

I wanna leave. I will asap. Right now I gotta get that driver money. I wanna pay my dads house off, hes 61 and killing himself in a factory. He just had a surgery to remove his prostate cancer and I wanna pay those bills too. I owe it to him. After that I'll worry about me and leave UPS.

5 hours ago, etherdome said:

I can honestly say packages would be treated a lot better if workers were treated better.