3 Defensive Line Free Agents the Falcons Should Target

GrimeyKidd

The fact remains that the Atlanta Falcons are currently strapped for cap space. However, without making any resounding moves they will need to get creative to improve the defensive line. I believe that this offseason will be the perfect test for this team and show they elect to move forward. The following are three defensive line free agents the Falcons should target.

Along the panthers defensive line Gerald McCoy hopes to prove doubters wrong. Charlotte Observer

1. DT Gerald McCoy

After signing a 1-yr deal with the Carolina Panthers Gerald McCoy finds himself in a similar situation. He finished the season with five sacks, seven tackles for loss, and 13 quarterback hits. For example, Grady Jarrett finished the season with 7.5 sacks, 12 tackles for loss, and 16 quarterback hits. Adding another dynamic player to the interior could be the key to unlocking the Falcons pass rush.

Link to full article - https://www.overtimeheroics.net/index.php/2020/03/14/3-defensive-line-free-agents-the-falcons-should-target/

Definitely wondering what yall think. Honestly, the TD way has been to sign lower-tier guys and get the most out of them. I'm not sure who those guys are in this year's crop. Who do you think the Falcons should target? Cuts definitely need to be made for moves to happen but I expect those to come soon. 

Mentioned McCoy & JPP thee other day if they are added,an apparent weakness becomes a strength.If I had the choice I’d add JPP because that’s where our biggest hole is at DE.The draft is weakest there where IDL is a strength.

Then for me it’s a Chaisson 1st pick everyday past Sunday.

Just now, texasfalconfan said:

We have to find some cap space to get any of them. Only way I can see it is too extend Mack with a cap friendly deal. Of course can Mack play three more years?

Even if Mack only has 1-2 left, get him to sign for more years just to stretch it out. As long as his guaranteed money is the same what’s it matter?

4 hours ago, bossFALCON™ said:

McCoy and big Grady. Last time we put a solid DT next to Grady we had a top 10 defense

I agree bring in McCoy. Met him at the pro bowl practice in 2017 and he said he loves Atlanta even went out of his way to take  pics with my son and signed his helmet. Don’t know if he has ties with Atl but he kept bringing it up while we’re were talking. Know that’s weird coming from a rival but it was pretty awesome. 

20 hours ago, 1989Fan said:

So they want us to shop in the NFCS market only I guess (McCoy, Addison, Pierre-Paul)

Heck they don't have to move far and are solid players so win-win to me. I know age is a concern but I can't deny their talent. Draft is important but can't count on everyone being day one contributors. 

7 minutes ago, Someday soon said:

What about Stephen Weatherly?  Atlanta kid that went to Vandy and now has 4 years with the Vikes.  Still only 26 and would help DE depth with potential upside.

Can he play, don’t know much about him? Don’t care at all if he is an Atlanta kid. Don’t want guys if they aren’t even better than Cominsky, Means or Takk.

Year Games Played Games Missed Snaps Tackles Negative Plays Interceptions Fumbles TD
Injured Healthy Defense Special Solo Assist Sacks Yards TFL QB Hits Pass Def. INT Yards Forced Rec. Yards
2016 2 0 4 0.1% 3.7% 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2017 15 1 0 8.9% 45.1% 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2018 16 0 0 50.4% 28.9% 23 13 3 19 6 8 1 0 0 1 0 0 0
2019 16 0 0 38.2% 35.9% 15 9 2.5 23 4 9 0 0 0 1 0 0 0

2 hours ago, Someday soon said:
Year Games Played Games Missed Snaps Tackles Negative Plays Interceptions Fumbles TD
Injured Healthy Defense Special Solo Assist Sacks Yards TFL QB Hits Pass Def. INT Yards Forced Rec. Yards
2016 2 0 4 0.1% 3.7% 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2017 15 1 0 8.9% 45.1% 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2018 16 0 0 50.4% 28.9% 23 13 3 19 6 8 1 0 0 1 0 0 0
2019 16 0 0 38.2% 35.9% 15 9 2.5 23 4 9 0 0 0 1 0 0 0

Went cross eyed trying to decipher that format, but seems like JAG to me.