Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

5 hours ago, etherdome said:

I agree that this is one of, if not the strongest draft I can recall.  I can not believe how many starter-quality LT's there are.  The WR's are very talented and extremely deep.  The DT's are ridiculous and starting RB's will last until the 3rd and 4th rounds.  

I don't doubt that we could draft a pass rusher in the first round.....whether an interior or edge guy.  There is possibility that we take a CB, but I believe the best value will be at pass rusher.

I don't see Epenesa as a special talent.  He displays excellent technique, so in contrast to what you mentioned, I believe he will perform well early as a rookie.  He is limited physically and because of that, he will need to hit the weights.  As a consequence, he will get stronger and really set the edge and play the run well.  

The question is whether Epenesa could ever be a top-notch pass rusher.  My guess is NO.  I think he will pressure the QB and I think he will get his share of coverage sacks, but he will probably never be a terror in that way. 

We may become a success as a pass rusher, but he will rely on his team mates to garner blocking attention or cover WR's for longer.  

But hey, that is my opinion

WEll, i think Epenesa  will be a very good DE in time.. He could  be a very good DE in time. I think he has a higher ceiling that the other DEs.. 

5 hours ago, Draftnut57 said:

WEll, i think Epenesa  will be a very good DE in time.. He could  be a very good DE in time. I think he has a higher ceiling that the other DEs.. 

Out of curiosity, what would lead you (or anyone else) to this conclusion? AJ "Mr. Molasses" Epenesa is too slow. His 40 time was 0.1 second faster than the 360 pound LT!!! He may be a great guy--- a hard worker--- an upstanding citizen and a pillar of the community--- but Dan Marino could avoid this slowfoot ham & egger (thanks to Bobby "The Brain" Heenan, RIP) never-will-be.

15 hours ago, Roanoke Falcon said:

WTF is a "DQ type of guy"? One who talks a lot but doesn't delver and blames everyone else?

A young DQ style player is Grady, Debo, Neal, Beasley, Rico, Poole, Foye, Kazee, Sheffield etc....

56 minutes ago, Roanoke Falcon said:

Out of curiosity, what would lead you (or anyone else) to this conclusion? AJ "Mr. Molasses" Epenesa is too slow. His 40 time was 0.1 second faster than the 360 pound LT!!! He may be a great guy--- a hard worker--- an upstanding citizen and a pillar of the community--- but Dan Marino could avoid this slowfoot ham & egger (thanks to Bobby "The Brain" Heenan, RIP) never-will-be.

Don’t get too focused on just his combine numbers.  He is a gamer who accumulated elite level production in consecutive years.  

He and Marlon Davidson have some Michael Bennett qualities.  Bennett also ran a 5.04 40 and managed 24 reps on bench press, same as  AJ.

“Epenesa, who is 6'5", 275 pounds and recorded 20.5 sacks and eight forced fumbles over the past two seasons, was hoping to showcase the kind of athleticism that would make him a top-15 pick. But Epenesa, who sometimes looks a little stiff on tape, looked a little sluggish Saturday.

That's what we saw. But what we heard during interviews with the offensive players who faced him was a very different story.

Michigan left tackle Jon Runyan, who provides deeply technical insights into his opponents, said Epenesa was tied with Ohio State's Chase Young as the two toughest defenders he ever faced.

"A.J. exploits the weakness of what I play," Runyan said. "I'm a vertical setter, and the weakness of a vertical set is what A.J. loves to do: bull rush with a one-armed stab. He's able to catch me leaning a lot, catch me off guard. Early in the [2019 Michigan vs. Iowa] game, the first three or four drives, I wasn't really keying on his shoulders. He started running downhill, and I wasn't able to get my hips down and react to the bull rush."

Purdue tight end Brycen Hopkins also singled out Epenesa as one of the toughest defenders he ever faced, adding a most unusual compliment to his scouting report: "I thought he was a great player. He was physical, but at the same time he's a cool guy. He wasn't a jerk out there. ... So I thought he was a great player, great guy. He came off the ball with an explosive power."

And then there's teammate Tristan Wirfs, one of the stars of Friday night's offensive line workouts. Wirfs didn't hesitate to name Epenesa as the toughest defender he ever faced. Sure, he may be a teensy bit biased, but players rarely single out teammates when answering "toughest opponent" questions. 

"We had some battles," Wirfs said. "When I met with the Broncos, they said a scout was there [at Iowa practice] and I didn't lose to A.J. So I said, 'I'm glad you were there on that day.'"

"It goes back and forth, me and him," Wirfs added. "He was one of my best friends on the team. We will try to help each other get better. If he sees something that he beat me on, he'll tell me what he saw. And when I beat him, I tell him what I saw."

7 hours ago, Roanoke Falcon said:

Game tape maybe? It’s the NFL, not track and field. I am guessing you have never seen him play. If he is so slow why did he have at least one sack against every ranked team they played, including big games against Ohio state and penn state who have mobile QBs, far from Dan Marino.

8 hours ago, Roanoke Falcon said:

Unfortunately, that plan was for ABlank's soccer team.

Unfortunately, as fans, championship caliber is all we got!

GO FALCONS!!!!

12 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Don’t get too focused on just his combine numbers.  He is a gamer who accumulated elite level production in consecutive years.  

He and Marlon Davidson have some Michael Bennett qualities.  Bennett also ran a 5.04 40 and managed 24 reps on bench press, same as  AJ.

“Epenesa, who is 6'5", 275 pounds and recorded 20.5 sacks and eight forced fumbles over the past two seasons, was hoping to showcase the kind of athleticism that would make him a top-15 pick. But Epenesa, who sometimes looks a little stiff on tape, looked a little sluggish Saturday.

That's what we saw. But what we heard during interviews with the offensive players who faced him was a very different story.

Michigan left tackle Jon Runyan, who provides deeply technical insights into his opponents, said Epenesa was tied with Ohio State's Chase Young as the two toughest defenders he ever faced.

"A.J. exploits the weakness of what I play," Runyan said. "I'm a vertical setter, and the weakness of a vertical set is what A.J. loves to do: bull rush with a one-armed stab. He's able to catch me leaning a lot, catch me off guard. Early in the [2019 Michigan vs. Iowa] game, the first three or four drives, I wasn't really keying on his shoulders. He started running downhill, and I wasn't able to get my hips down and react to the bull rush."

Purdue tight end Brycen Hopkins also singled out Epenesa as one of the toughest defenders he ever faced, adding a most unusual compliment to his scouting report: "I thought he was a great player. He was physical, but at the same time he's a cool guy. He wasn't a jerk out there. ... So I thought he was a great player, great guy. He came off the ball with an explosive power."

And then there's teammate Tristan Wirfs, one of the stars of Friday night's offensive line workouts. Wirfs didn't hesitate to name Epenesa as the toughest defender he ever faced. Sure, he may be a teensy bit biased, but players rarely single out teammates when answering "toughest opponent" questions. 

"We had some battles," Wirfs said. "When I met with the Broncos, they said a scout was there [at Iowa practice] and I didn't lose to A.J. So I said, 'I'm glad you were there on that day.'"

"It goes back and forth, me and him," Wirfs added. "He was one of my best friends on the team. We will try to help each other get better. If he sees something that he beat me on, he'll tell me what he saw. And when I beat him, I tell him what I saw."

Great Article , Thank you for sharing it , And this is the Main Reason why I'd love for us to draft AJ .... His ceiling is sky high....  Could you imagine getting Aj and then somehow trade back up for one of the top DT's to put beside him?  Make it happen TD Make it happen.....

29 minutes ago, Draftnut57 said:

Great Article , Thank you for sharing it , And this is the Main Reason why I'd love for us to draft AJ .... His ceiling is sky high....  Could you imagine getting Aj and then somehow trade back up for one of the top DT's to put beside him?  Make it happen TD Make it happen.....

I like him in round 2

10 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I like him in round 2

Never get him there.. I'm just hoping he drops to 16 so we can choose to draft him or another Top Edge Rusher.. whether it be a DE or a DT... We need a player who can keep constant pressure on the opposing QBs... That IMO is our biggest need. And without having a D that can do that.. We will never go very far in any year... It IMO is our #1 need.