Jump to content

Recommended Posts

On the way to work today I was listening to some sport talk radio. I'm in VA so they were discussing the Skins and what they should prioritize in FA. Most of the talk was about Austin Hooper or a corner-back. They pivot to Trent Williams and what they could get for him. A guy calls in and says the guy the Skins really need to move is Brandon Scherff. The talking heads all said he was going to be franchised for 16 mill as he is looking for a long term deal that WAS doesn't seem to want to do. Maybe you see where I am going with this- Tru is a 15 mill cap hit this season and 29. Brandon Scherff is a year younger. I would love the straight up trade- as the Skins don't have anyone worth a lick at corner(IMO). If pulled off I would be down to give that money to Brandon Scherff. It gives the Skins a few years to groom a CB1 to replace Tru, but also gives them a very capable corner on and off the field (they have very little money tied up in their D- they have like 66 mil in cap space- pre franchise tag of Scherff). We get a vet OG to hold down our left side Oline and we draft a new corner (say Jaylon Johnson out of Utah). Now as I type this I don't want to get rid of Tru, but I don't want to march out another rookie guard this season. This way we get my goal without completely erasing our already small cap space. Thoughts? flame suit is on lol:munch:

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Much worse CB's are getting just as big of contracts in free agency. Look at the list last year...

Doesn't make Trufant any more appealing to anyone. I'm thinking teams would much rather make their own financial mistakes than take over another teams financial mistake. If he isn't appealing to the Falcons he surely isn't appealing to anyone else.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Falcons_Frenzy said:

Doesn't make Trufant any more appealing to anyone. I'm thinking teams would much rather make their own financial mistakes than take over another teams financial mistake. If he isn't appealing to the Falcons he surely isn't appealing to anyone else.

Remember that when any player gets cut from another team and this board asks if we should sign that player, surely they can’t be any good anymore if their team didn’t want them.

Tru is still the best corner we have and it isn’t close.  Dude gets the opposite of the Beasley treatment by this fan base because he doesn’t get a lot of INTs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Falcons_Frenzy said:

Doesn't make Trufant any more appealing to anyone. I'm thinking teams would much rather make their own financial mistakes than take over another teams financial mistake. If he isn't appealing to the Falcons he surely isn't appealing to anyone else.

Coaches say he was having a very good season last year before the injury. Unfortunately I think Falcons fans think he is worse than most outside NFL fans would.

is he $15M good, nope, but he is a legit CB1 IMO.

would I trade him for Scherf? Yep..I would also try to get them to take Brown or Carp in the deal...even if it meant giving up a later pick for them to eat some CAP.

Matthews, Scherff , Mack and Lindstrom and McGary w a year under their belt..should be a fine OL.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Roanoke Falcon said:

Didn't we try to trade him last year, even offering to pick up part of his salary, and no one picked up the phone? Is there any truth to that rumor? Still, if the Deadskins would make that trade, then YES!!! ABSOLUTELY YES!!! :slick::tiphat:

Nope. To my knowledge Beasley is the only guy the team WANTED to trade at the deadline but couldn’t.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rings said:

Remember that when any player gets cut from another team and this board asks if we should sign that player, surely they can’t be any good anymore if their team didn’t want them.

Tru is still the best corner we have and it isn’t close.  Dude gets the opposite of the Beasley treatment by this fan base because he doesn’t get a lot of INTs.

I agree. It's one thing to sign a player that was cut to a contract you are comfortable with. It's a completely different one when you want to trade a player because you no longer like the contract you gave the player. People forget this isn't madden. Maybe I'm wrong. I just don't see anyone taking over a bad contract and giving the Falcons anything relevant. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Falcons_Frenzy said:

I agree. It's one thing to sign a player that was cut to a contract you are comfortable with. It's a completely different one when you want to trade a player because you no longer like the contract you gave the player. People forget this isn't madden. Maybe I'm wrong. I just don't see anyone taking over a bad contract and giving the Falcons anything relevant. 

Hard to say what new CBA will change, or how people think.  I’m most of the belief that Tru gets crapped on a lot more than he should.  I get labeled as a negative person because I complain about Dirk/Vic, but I feel I just had a more realistic outside view of them than some.  I think the same is true for Trufant, I don’t think he’s an all pro, but I don’t think he is near as bad as people make him out to be on here.  I do think they should address corner in the draft with the top three picks in hopes to find his eventual replacement though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Rings said:

Hard to say what new CBA will change, or how people think.  I’m most of the belief that Tru gets crapped on a lot more than he should.  I get labeled as a negative person because I complain about Dirk/Vic, but I feel I just had a more realistic outside view of them than some.  I think the same is true for Trufant, I don’t think he’s an all pro, but I don’t think he is near as bad as people make him out to be on here.  I do think they should address corner in the draft with the top three picks in hopes to find his eventual replacement though.

Yeah. I really liked Trufant in his early years. He's still serviceable. I think people are just trying to find the miracle transaction that makes landing Fowler plausible. Tru is the easy target at his salary. What they don't understand is making a hole to plug another hole still leaves a hole. The Falcons could draft someone. However, most likely a rookie corner covering the top WR week in and week out is going to take some lumps. This might actually be a downgrade for a year or two. In addition, the Falcons would invest huge in the one year wonder Fowler, pretty risky. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...