“Why Are We Even Talking About Him.....Words Can’t Describe.....He Is An Absolute Beast”

I’ve read on TATF that Julio can no longer beat bracket coverage.  

My response is the video below.   Its hilarious watching Ha Ha Clinton Dix and Burnett fearfully talk about Julio.  Love how Burnett uncomfortably starts scratching himself like he is talking about Voldemort.  

And the route Julio runs at the 1:36 mark is all you need to know

And this isn’t taking a shot at the OP of the other thread.  Just giving you a little grief

7 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I’ve read on TATF that Julio can no longer beat bracket coverage.  

My response is the video below.   Its hilarious watching Ha Ha Clinton Dix and Burnett fearfully talk about Julio.  Love how Brunett uncomfortably starts scratching himself 

And this isn’t taking a shot at the OP of the other thread.  Just giving you a little grief

2018 was two years ago :ninja:

1 minute ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

If someone offered a top 20 pick for Julio next offseason you’d have to seriously consider it

Man, for a mid-to-high first?  Pull the trigger.

I love Julio Jones, but WRs are not the pieces that Super Bowl winning teams are made of.  I can think of 2 teams that won one with a truly standout WR, and they are San Francisco with Rice and Dallas with Irvin.  I'm sure there are others, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.  And those guys are both retired.  If you have one like Julio, you pay him or get value for him, because it's stupid to just let a guy like that walk away for nothing.  But I wouldn't have traded for him in the first place given what we had to give up, and while right now I wouldn't have any designs on trading him, if someone came knocking with a good 1st round pick.........

If someone was open to trading a first rounder for Julio, you gotta do that deal. I love JJ just as much as the rest of us, but we could get great return for him. Do the BB way and unload them while they have value. We have played the "hold on to them until its too late" game one too many times - see VB and Devonta. 

1 minute ago, JDaveG said:

Not saying you don't need good WRs, mind you.  We have Ridley, though, and we can get others in the draft simply by making it a focus.  You need a bunch of good ones, not one great one.

This is how good our receiving core was last year.  Assume we traded Julio for a 1st last year to NE.

A unit of Ridley, Sanu, Gage & Shenault Jr (use the first from NE on him) paired with Hooper is still top 3 in the NFL

Just now, D.B.N. said:

It's worth noting, that if we have another down year and DQ and TD are indeed fired, then the new FO will leave nothing off the table. I could see them moving JJ for a first rounder (if we have a trade partner). 

I don’t think Julio gets you a 1st unless we absorb the majority of his contract

Just now, FalconsIn2012 said:

This is how good our receiving core was last year.  Assume we traded Julio for a 1st last year to NE.

A unit of Ridley, Sanu, Gage & Shenault Jr (use the first from NE on him) paired with Hooper is still top 3 in the NFL

Of course, Sanu is gone now, but yeah.  They just aren't that hard to replace, and while one guy is easier to defend (not that Julio is all that defensible), a handful of guys used properly are much harder to defend, especially if you have a run game.

This stuff isn't magic.  You want superstars at certain positions.  WR, IMHO, is not one of them.  Neither is RB, even though you need a good one.  LB, DE, DT maybe, corner, safety, QB, o-line is where you want the studs.  I think on offense, you want them mainly along the o-line and at QB.  A great TE is nice, a great WR is nice, a great RB is nice, but those guys by themselves cannot win as consistently.  Think about it -- Julio can take over a game at times, but how often does he do that?  Maybe a few times a season at best?  Because you can defend one guy.  You can make the other team beat you with lesser players.

But if you control the line of scrimmage consistently, literally everyone else's job gets easier.  So now the guys who are supposedly "just guys" end up playing above their heads because they have more time to get open and more space to work because your run game and pass protection are on point.  The skill players have more room to work.  And to my observation, the Falcons have been building the offense outside-in for way too long, hence our need to double dip at o-line last season (a move I favored, but which should have been unnecessary).

I don't think it's that simple on defense, just because of how the front end and back end compliment each other, but I still think if d-line is your weakest position group, you're going to struggle.

I will say this on the other side of the argument, I think there are playoff games we just don't win without him.  So I'm not saying he's a bad player or useless or whatever.  He's a great player.  He pretty much single-handedly trounced Green Bay in 16.  He steps up in the playoffs.  Those things can't be coached.

But I still think it's just too much to spend on a WR.  It's a philosophical thing.  It isn't about Julio.  He's unreal, maybe the best to ever play the position honestly.

Draft picks are always a gamble.  No matter how much you need to upgrade a position on the team or what draft position you could get for Julio, it is a gamble.  Julio is unique.  His speed, quickness, strength, hands, and route running are a rare combination for a WR.  When traditional WRs lose speed and quickness, they become ineffective.  Julio at 35, he is 31 now, will have average speed and quickness, and he will still have that strength, the hands, and the route running.  It would not shock me to see him excel at TE in a few years.

10 minutes ago, NaGaBoy said:

Draft picks are always a gamble.  No matter how much you need to upgrade a position on the team or what draft position you could get for Julio, it is a gamble.  Julio is unique.  His speed, quickness, strength, hands, and route running are a rare combination for a WR.  When traditional WRs lose speed and quickness, they become ineffective.  Julio at 35, he is 31 now, will have average speed and quickness, and he will still have that strength, the hands, and the route running.  It would not shock me to see him excel at TE in a few years.

Great post..just can’t agree with the last sentence.

Julio will destroy in the slot.  But he isn’t a TE.  Still has sprinters legs.  He can block, but why ask him to take the punishment

10 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Great post..just can’t agree with the last sentence.

Julio will destroy in the slot.  But he isn’t a TE.  Still has sprinters legs.  He can block, but why ask him to take the punishment

I just don't see why so many people think he is going to fall off the map that we need to get rid of him.  Yeah he's 31 but it isn't like he's fallen off the face of the earth it terms of his production.  He missed his "average" by what 10 yards? 

All I'm saying is that he is still very very productive.  Is he the 26 year old Julio caught 136 passes in one year? No, but we don't need him to be.  Out of all the WRs in the league he has been IMO the most consistent and productive.  Which is also why I say he's the best.  He averages over 14 yards a catch and has every year except for the one year he caught 136.  

Yeah he's being paid a lot of money, but we aren't only paying him for his "to be" production, it's also for what he's done for this team and has shown to keep bringing.

One day he will drop down in production as do all players.  But for someone who we gave up so much to get and has given back to this team year in and year out, even if he was to be what Larry Fitzgerald is in the latter part of his career and average 1100 - 1200 yards, I'd be ok with that.  

The difference is that Larry has played with garbage QBs and still has to work that much harder trying to salvage seasons.  Julio is not only just as good if not better, he has the same QB his whole career, and has weapons such as Ridley to help draw away coverage and vice versa.

I'm not ok with trading Julio under any circumstances, but I know it being a business, it's always possible.

Here's to number 11 helping us win a SB and retiring as a Falcon and ONLY a falcon.

2 minutes ago, federicofalcon2 said:

I just don't see why so many people think he is going to fall off the map that we need to get rid of him.  Yeah he's 31 but it isn't like he's fallen off the face of the earth it terms of his production.  He missed his "average" by what 10 yards? 

All I'm saying is that he is still very very productive.  Is he the 26 year old Julio caught 136 passes in one year? No, but we don't need him to be.  Out of all the WRs in the league he has been IMO the most consistent and productive.  Which is also why I say he's the best.  He averages over 14 yards a catch and has every year except for the one year he caught 136.  

Yeah he's being paid a lot of money, but we aren't only paying him for his "to be" production, it's also for what he's done for this team and has shown to keep bringing.

One day he will drop down in production as do all players.  But for someone who we gave up so much to get and has given back to this team year in and year out, even if he was to be what Larry Fitzgerald is in the latter part of his career and average 1100 - 1200 yards, I'd be ok with that.  

The difference is that Larry has played with garbage QBs and still has to work that much harder trying to salvage seasons.  Julio is not only just as good if not better, he has the same QB his whole career, and has weapons such as Ridley to help draw away coverage and vice versa.

I'm not ok with trading Julio under any circumstances, but I know it being a business, it's always possible.

Here's to number 11 helping us win a SB and retiring as a Falcon and ONLY a falcon.

Barring an injury, I don’t see a serious drop in production in the next 3 years.  Should still be a 1,200 - 1,400 yard receiver each year.  He no longer relies on being the best athlete.  He is now a master technician at the WR position

1 hour ago, JDaveG said:

Man, for a mid-to-high first?  Pull the trigger.

I love Julio Jones, but WRs are not the pieces that Super Bowl winning teams are made of.  I can think of 2 teams that won one with a truly standout WR, and they are San Francisco with Rice and Dallas with Irvin.  I'm sure there are others, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.  And those guys are both retired.  If you have one like Julio, you pay him or get value for him, because it's stupid to just let a guy like that walk away for nothing.  But I wouldn't have traded for him in the first place given what we had to give up, and while right now I wouldn't have any designs on trading him, if someone came knocking with a good 1st round pick.........

You forgot Deion Branch but other than that yeah :ninja: