Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
FalconsIn2012

Dimitroff Says “Never Count Us Out” On Trading In 1st Round

My gut says we finally buck the trend and move back in the first round.  But more than likely we will use the added draft capital to move back up into the 1st round.  

Falcons GM on 1st-rd trading: Never count us out

Published: Mar 07, 2020 at 06:25 am
Updated: Mar 07, 2020 at 06:25 am

Add the Falcons to the cavalcade of teams who might be looking to move and shake in the 2020 NFL Draft

An Atlanta pass rush long absent of production and now without Vic Beasley could certainly use a boost and is no doubt one of the team's biggest offseason needs. But would that warrant trading up (or down) to get the right fit? 

With his team sitting at No. 16 in the first round, Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff's message is seemingly that the franchise could move any which way in its selection process. 

"I think there's going to be a lot of really interesting action between (picks) 10 and 20," Dimitroff said Friday on 92.9 The Game. "And again, I would never count us out because again we're a team that has been active (in past drafts). 

NFL image

"That said, it is one of those draft situations where, given some of the depth in some of these positions, it does set up the opportunity to potentially move back. And you know, as long as I've been here, we've not been a real active team moving back. But again, this year may be one of those years that you could truly look at that and obviously acquire a couple more picks in different parts in the draft to use up to pair together to get up, of course, in another round."

Not since the Falcons' ascent to the Super Bowl in the 2016 season, have they had a player with double-digit sacks and that was Beasley. As a team, Atlanta totaled a meager 28 sacks in 2019 -- which tied for second-to-last in the NFL. 

"We've had situations where we've been very outspoken about Vic leaving," Dimitroff said. "Obviously, we need to continue to look at where we are going to go with getting to the quarterback. That is just not on the outside (defensive end), that's on the inside (defensive tackle) as well. We made some big moves last year not only with Grady Jarrett, but bringing in Tyeler Davison and Allen Bailey. We've always believed in a rotation on that defensive line." 

The offensive line is also an area of need that Dimitroff pointed out. One would presume cornerback and running back are likewise on that list. 

"We believe there are a number of areas that can help us be a championship-caliber football team," he said. 

But it appears to begin with addressing the punchless pass rush. 

Iowa's A.J. Epenesa has been seen as a good fit for the Falcons at No. 16 and LSU's K'Lavon Chaissonwould also seem to be an option. Of course, when talking about pass rushers and the 2020 NFL Draft, the name at the forefront is Ohio State's Chase Young. Though many believe LSU quarterback Joe Burrow will find his way to the Bengals with the No. 1 pick, Young is seen by many as the top-rated player in the draft

Might the Falcons somehow make a mighty leap up to get Young? 

"I understand the conversation that's been circulating. I get that," Dmitroff said when asked about making a large move, presumably for Young. "We did make a big-time move for Julio [Jones] way back when. 

"We spent a lot of time back in '11 analyzing our situation and knowing where the organization was, of course. Knowing the talent we had. Knowing where the contracts were and the length of contracts. It takes a lot of research in that way to decide whether if you're going to make a once-in-a-career type move. 

"Organizationally speaking, you don't make those moves all of the time. They are really thought-out decisions."

I don’t think we trade up hi if we trade up I could see it because a player we have high on our wish list slid in the draft. I would love to draft kinlaw and trade both our seconds and draft chassion 

TD has to knock this draft out of the park. We don't need a lot of fancy talk the FO needs results. I hope TD and the FO dish some of their bad ways like going heavy after Midwest guys, not drafting Dawgs or certain other SEC SCHOOLS, with our lack of cap capitol  the fanbase wanting playoffs the draft, UDFA'S and FA has to be on pt.

Really don't understand why this is a thing every single year. Every year TD gets asked the same questions, and every year he gives the same answers, and every year Falcons fans freak out as if he just said we're trading up. 

Teams call us about potential trades because they know TD is willing to; sometimes this results in good opportunities, sometimes not.

Does it mean we'll trade up? :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, hjerry said:

Really don't understand why this is a thing every single year. Every year TD gets asked the same questions, and every year he gives the same answers, and every year Falcons fans freak out as if he just said we're trading up. 

Teams call us about potential trades because they know TD is willing to; sometimes this results in good opportunities, sometimes not.

When you move up in the 1st round 5 of 11 drafts, there is cause to correlate smoke with a possible fire.

But the reason I posted this article was the fact he openly discusses that he has never traded down in the 1st round and this may be the year to do so

2 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

When you move up in the 1st round 5 of 11 drafts, there is cause to correlate smoke with a possible fire.

But the reason I posted this article was the fact he openly discusses that he has never traded down in the 1st round and this may be the year to do so

Oh I'm not ripping on you per se, just more the whole event as described happening every year like clockwork 

2 hours ago, Hurry_Up_And_Buy said:

Dimitrioff's claims to fame are Matt, Julio & GJ. Other than that he's a perennial head-scratchologist. Picking up Dex Lawrence last year should have been a no-brainer SMH. Once Matt and Julio are done hopefully so will Dimitrioff's time here.

you forgot about Deion Jones, Austin Hooper, Calvin Ridley, Jake Matthews, Kazee, (Keanu Neal, Trufant and Devonta  Freeman were great until they got injured.) Lindstrom looks good so far.

Not a bad body of work in free agency either. Alex Mack, Matt Bryant, Dwight Freeney, Tony Gonzalez

2 hours ago, hjerry said:

Every year TD can’t find a pass rusher....the fans really don’t understand that because it’s the same results- insanity- doing the same over and over and expecting different results trade up or not

I'm on the train that we should trade back. Taking it a step further, we should trade out of the 1st by targeting the Colts two 2nds. Go Delpit, Blacklock, Akers/Dobbins, & Claypool. Take Jordyn Brooks in the 3rd, Cesar Ruiz in the 4th, and let the rest play itself out.

Delpit in the 2nd would be great value. Blaclock is a beast. Akers/Dobbins gives us our dynamic RB. Claypool represents a deep threat/EZ target to replace Hoop.

Brooks should be able to step in at Will, while Ruiz can learn to take over at center. I would try to squeeze in Adam Trautman if we can by just off-loading the rest of our picks. That would be a strong draft class, which included five day two guys in the top 100.

3 minutes ago, Geaux_Falcons said:

I'm on the train that we should trade back. Taking it a step further, we should trade out of the 1st by targeting the Colts two 2nds. Go Delpit, Blacklock, Akers/Dobbins, & Claypool. Take Jordyn Brooks in the 3rd, Cesar Ruiz in the 4th, and let the rest play itself out.

Delpit in the 2nd would be great value. Blaclock is a beast. Akers/Dobbins gives us our dynamic RB. Claypool represents a deep threat/EZ target to replace Hoop.

Brooks should be able to step in at Will, while Ruiz can learn to take over at center. I would try to squeeze in Adam Trautman if we can by just off-loading the rest of our picks. That would be a strong draft class, which included five day two guys in the top 100.

If we could get Uche in the 2nd I would love your proposal

3 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

If we could get Uche in the 2nd I would love your proposal

I don't like Uche in the 2nd, but I could take a flyer in the 3rd over Brooks, although I think Brooks is more of a day 1 starter. Uche does have some good traits to like.