Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tobyd77

Falcons Falcons Fans Should Keep Close Eye On TCU DT Ross Blacklock

Hi #Falconsfam, I'd keep an eye on this guy TCU DT Ross Blacklock. Dude is rising. He was mocked 47 pick to our team. My first mock ever. I tweeted out 2 weeks ago on Twitter. And in my mind. Fits what the #Falcons need up front. I think he'd pair well with Grady Jarrett. And is becoming a viable legitimate option for #Falcons at 16. His stock and brand are picking up.

http://www.nfl.com/m/share?p=%2Fvideos%2Fnfl-now%2F0ap3000001105458%2FRoss-Blacklock-describes-how-a-college-injury-made-him-a-better-athlete

I like Blacklock but I don't know about at pick #16 as he's more of a 3T. Not to say he wouldn't have a role on our team because we are in our nickel most of the time, but for a first rounder I only see three DT’s that are interchangeable who can play the 1 or 3 in base. That's Brown, Kinlaw, and Gallimore. The latter more of a late first.

Raheem Morris is old school in that regard. Which is why I can see him looking more a 2T 3T penetrating type player like Ross. Not saying he will be the pick. But he is rising as a first rounder. And going up draftboards fast. Especially after a solid combine. I like Gallimore, but the 3 you named were always the top 3. And you know Falcons don't usually draft who think makes the most sense. Plus Kinlaw and Brown may not be there at 16. Gallimore a more realistic chance.

55 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

He is DT2 in this draft IMO.  TCU’s two gap scheme did not showcase Blacklock’s talent as a pass rusher.  

Yes, I do agree to their misuse of him. But dude has passrush potential. And I think that is why he's starting to climb the way he is. When you did see him rush QB. He displayed a nice get off and strength. I could see #Falcons taking him. Like they did with taking Keanu Neal at 17 2016 draft. When most thought and had a 2nd round grade on him as a safety. 

I had a 2nd on him to. Which is why in my mock. I had us taking him at 47, but he's moving up.

29 minutes ago, tobyd77 said:

Yes, I do agree to their misuse of him. But dude has passrush potential. And I think that is why he's starting to climb the way he is. When you did see him rush QB. He displayed a nice get off and strength. I could see #Falcons taking him. Like they did with taking Keanu Neal at 17 2016 draft. When most thought and had a 2nd round grade on him as a safety. 

I had a 2nd on him to. Which is why in my mock. I had us taking him at 47, but he's moving up.

I don’t think he is 2nd round.  I think he is 2nd best DT in this draft.  I see Blacklock I think Gerald McCoy

1 hour ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

He is DT2 in this draft IMO.  TCU’s two gap scheme did not showcase Blacklock’s talent as a pass rusher.  

No way (IMO) he is better than Kinlaw or Brown. After those two it’s a debate between Blacklock, Gallimore and Madubuike

7 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

No way (IMO) he is better than Kinlaw or Brown. After those two it’s a debate between Blacklock, Gallimore and Madubuike

I’ll take him over Kinlaw all day every day..just my preference.  

Just now, FalconsIn2012 said:

I’ll take him over Kinlaw all day every day..just my preference.  

I was wondering who you had him above. We all get our opinions for sure. I do like Blacklock, but not above Kinlaw. I may like Kinlaw above Brown even. Regardless, getting another explosive DT next to Grady would cause nightmares for interior OLs. Glad there are 5-6 of them early in this draft

11 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

I was wondering who you had him above. We all get our opinions for sure. I do like Blacklock, but not above Kinlaw. I may like Kinlaw above Brown even. Regardless, getting another explosive DT next to Grady would cause nightmares for interior OLs. Glad there are 5-6 of them early in this draft

It’s just a matter of preference.  Blacklock was used at 1T in a two gap system which is not the proper use for him.  He is a 3T who can be another Grady Jarett.  Do we need another 3T? I guess not really.  But Blacklock has played at 310 lbs so he can play all over the line.

If we are asking who is the best for ATL, I would say Elliott, Brown & Kinlaw.

1 hour ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I don’t think he is 2nd round.  I think he is 2nd best DT in this draft.  I see Blacklock I think Gerald McCoy

Sorry, misunderstood you. I initially think number 2 DT at first. When I did mock, but when I first watched his film. I could see him fitting with Falcons.

1 hour ago, KRUNKuno said:

Been a Blacklock fan, but y’all sleep on Jordan Elliot.  

I mentioned Elliot above.  I prefer Blacklock as a player but Elliott’s size make him a better fit for what the Falcons need next to Grady.

PFF graded him higher than Brown last year.  

PFF says: “Elliott is one of the prospects that we’ve been banging the table for here at PFF for quite some time. The reason is fairly obvious: no defensive tackle graded higher in the FBS last season. Also, no defensive tackle graded higher in SEC play last season. Considering the top-four on our defensive tackle rankings all come from the SEC, that’s no small feat. Elliott finished with grades of 91.1 in both run defense and as a pass-rusher.”

Another guy to keep your eye on and since he met with ATL seems possible in Round 2 or 3

5. Justin Madubuike, Texas A&M

Madubuike is ranked at the 5th best interior defensive line prospect. This season at Texas A&M he recorded 40 tackles, 10.5 for loss and 5.5 sacks. The former Aggie ran a 4.8 forty yard dash and pushed out 31 reps on the bench press. He’s a solid prospect, who did meet with the Falcons this week. If he is around in the third

@A-TowN.- will be happy we have met with him.  This is his DT1 and dude has a great eye. Or is he your DT2 in this years draft?

1 hour ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Elliot is a much better fit. People mock him in the 3rd,  but 47 is about right. Grabbing Elliot and Ruiz in rnd 2 shores up the interior on both lines.

If we get Kinlaw, Elliot and Ruiz... I don't care what we do after that. Personally I was thinking of packaging our two second rounders to move back into first for YTG; but its difficult to argue staying put if those two are the prize

7 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

It’s just a matter of preference.  Blacklock was used at 1T in a two gap system which is not the proper use for him.  He is a 3T who can be another Grady Jarett.  Do we need another 3T? I guess not really.  But Blacklock has played at 310 lbs so he can play all over the line.

Yes we do Crawford’s gone if they bring Davison back Blacklocks a perfect fit.Plus run defender.

9 hours ago, tobyd77 said:

TD indicated  the potential to move back this draft due to depth at some of the positions. I could see us moving out of top 20 to bottom 10 in round 1, getting an extra draft pick, and drafting Blacklock between 20-30 for our rotation. We’ve got Division and Senat who both excel in run defense, I would love to have another interior DT who can create pressure up the middle. 

9 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Level of competition is a big difference here. Blaylock looks great As a pass rusher, but it’s vs Purdue.