Oh my NFL.com...Joe Burrows best fits

1989Fan

#6 Atlanta Falcons

We've reached the portion of the list featuring teams that have established veteran quarterbacks, meaning they might not be obvious fits for Burrow. But the trick with managing a transition from one quarterback to the next is to land the replacement before the need becomes urgent. After all, when the Chiefs traded up to draft Patrick Mahomes in 2017, they were seemingly set with veteran QB Alex Smith -- and now, a little less than three years later, Mahomes is taking Kansas City to Super BowlLIV. Matt Ryan performed well enough individually during the Falcons' down 2019, and he's less than two years removed from signing an extension that will carry him through 2023. But things change quickly in the NFL. Ryan is going to turn 35 in May, and while the Falcons committed to one more run with Dan Quinn, it's reasonable to assume an organizational reboot could be in the offing, should things go south again in 2020. And while they could be in position to land their QB of the future down the road, they are within striking distance of potentially landing Burrow right now, even if they end up having to trade up from No. 16 overall. Is there a better backup plan than having Burrow ready to take the reins from Ryan in a year or two?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001098453/article/joe-burrows-best-fits-after-bengals-panthers-bolts-would-work

i hesitated posting this as it may awaken the Ryan trolls, but oh well.

4 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

"They are within striking distance" :lol: Yeah, two full drafts traded up of striking distance. Unless we traded Matt and got someone to take his full cap hit, this is impossible.

Don't get me wrong, I like Burrow...but where we're picking, it makes zero sense.

Yeah if we were in the top 5 and Ryan had 2 or 3 years left on his deal i could see it

1 minute ago, Ovie_Lover said:

Yeah if we were in the top 5 and Ryan had 2 or 3 years left on his deal i could see it

Yep, Quinn and TD are also on the hot seat and has an owner and a team of vets that want to win now.

They just have to find a away to fix the lines and add talent to make the Falcons serious contenders again.

Depending on FA and how the early part of the draft goes, I wouldn't mind if the Falcons snag a QB prospect with upside late to compete with Schaub and Benkurt and develop.

1 hour ago, Francis York Morgan said:

"They are within striking distance" :lol: Yeah, two full drafts traded up of striking distance. Unless we traded Matt and got someone to take his full cap hit, this is impossible.

Don't get me wrong, I like Burrow...but where we're picking, it makes zero sense.

And Ryan's a Falcon for life, so there's that