Baldy's Breakdown on Hooper entering FA

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There will be many times next year where Austin Hooper is sorely missed by fans and the Falcons organization

Yeah, gonna miss him but it's the right decision in my opinion, especially if they plan to go after a pass rusher with the money that would go his way. It's obviously a bigger need for this team consi

He became pretty clutch with Matt and rarely dropped passes compared to the start of his career. It's definitely doing to take some work filling his reps. Graham won't be a easy replacement as people

Yeah, gonna miss him but it's the right decision in my opinion, especially if they plan to go after a pass rusher with the money that would go his way. It's obviously a bigger need for this team considering our other skill players but he's going to make some other team pretty happy. 

42 minutes ago, UnrealfalcoN said:

He became pretty clutch with Matt and rarely dropped passes compared to the start of his career. It's definitely doing to take some work filling his reps. Graham won't be a easy replacement as people make him to be.

No single player will replace his production in 2020. Not saying it’s not the fiscally responsible thing to do cap wise  but trying to make the argument that he will be easily replaced is horse $&@“. Only increased OL play and subsequent improved rushing attack will stop the OL from regressing from last year. 

3 hours ago, primetime said:

No single player will replace his production in 2020. Not saying it’s not the fiscally responsible thing to do cap wise  but trying to make the argument that he will be easily replaced is horse $&@“. Only increased OL play and subsequent improved rushing attack will stop the OL from regressing from last year. 

Truth.

22 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Maybe he'll miss us when he doesn't have Matt Ryan, Julio and Ridley to help him out.

This can't be a shot at Hooper. You do realize that he was the legit 2nd option for the most part of the season while they were on the field together don't you?? Ridley's targets didn't increase until Hooper went down. And Hooper still finished with 4 more targets and 12 more catches than Ridley. Had both stayed healthy you're looking at 3 1,000 yard guys and Hooper almost likely finishes with more yards than Ridley considering the pace he was on. While we're at it, Hooper's catch rate compared to Ridley's show's who the more reliable player is. 

Game 1- Hooper 9 targets, 9 catches----Ridley 6 targets, 4 catches

Game 2- Hooper 6 targets, 4 catches---Ridley 10 targets, 8 catches

Game 3- Hooper 7 targets, 6 catches---Ridley 1 target, 1 catch

Game 4- Hooper 11 targets, 9 catches---Ridley 6 targets, 3 catches

Game 5- Hooper 9 targets, 6 catches---Ridley 9 targets, 5 catches

Game 6-Hooper 8 targets, 8 catches---Ridley 6 targets, 4 catches

Game 7-Hooper 5 targets, 4 catches---Ridley 7 targets, 4 catches

Game 14- Hooper 6 targets, 2 catches---Ridley 5 targets, 5 catches

8 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

There will be many times next year where Austin Hooper is sorely missed by fans and the Falcons organization

I'm sure they'll be times Vic will be sorely missed. Players are always valued more once they're gone than while they're here. I literally seen a tweet where someone was upset they are not bringing back Ishmel, never thought I'd see that.

2 hours ago, etherdome said:

If his contract money goes to a good pass rusher, then the fans will acknowledge that Hooper had to go.  

Hooper is a fine talent.

I remember when people used to say Hooper had city hands (Jaws, Quint reference) but yes, he is a talent that we need to let go so we can address our woeful pass rush.

3 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Maybe he'll miss us when he doesn't have Matt Ryan, Julio and Ridley to help him out.

The issue will be getting the consistency from the other receivers. Hooper was starting to become automatic.

TEs can also help disguise a lot of plays. Trying to replace hoop with 3 and 4 WR sets is gonna get Matt hit a lot more.

3 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

The issue will be getting the consistency from the other receivers. Hooper was starting to become automatic.

TEs can also help disguise a lot of plays. Trying to replace hoop with 3 and 4 WR sets is gonna get Matt hit a lot more

4 minutes ago, dirtybirds233 said:

I'll stand by my thoughts that Hooper was a good TE with reliable hands that benefited for Koetter's vertical system, opening up holes for him to sit in underneath. Do I wish we could've kept him? Of course. Do I think he's going to be vastly overpaid for what he offers? Yes. 

I can agree with that to an extent.  

Discounting Hooper as a player because he is a good fit with Matt, the other players and our system, isn't really a fair assessment of his talent.  The goal is to get players into the system that best fits them.  They still have to perform when given the chance, and he has.

That said, with the state of the team's needs and cap space, it doesn't make much sense to pay him the kind of money he'll likely get from someone else. 

4 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

This can't be a shot at Hooper. You do realize that he was the legit 2nd option for the most part of the season while they were on the field together don't you?? Ridley's targets didn't increase until Hooper went down. And Hooper still finished with 4 more targets and 12 more catches than Ridley. Had both stayed healthy you're looking at 3 1,000 yard guys and Hooper almost likely finishes with more yards than Ridley considering the pace he was on. While we're at it, Hooper's catch rate compared to Ridley's show's who the more reliable player is. 

Game 1- Hooper 9 targets, 9 catches----Ridley 6 targets, 4 catches

Game 2- Hooper 6 targets, 4 catches---Ridley 10 targets, 8 catches

Game 3- Hooper 7 targets, 6 catches---Ridley 1 target, 1 catch

Game 4- Hooper 11 targets, 9 catches---Ridley 6 targets, 3 catches

Game 5- Hooper 9 targets, 6 catches---Ridley 9 targets, 5 catches

Game 6-Hooper 8 targets, 8 catches---Ridley 6 targets, 4 catches

Game 7-Hooper 5 targets, 4 catches---Ridley 7 targets, 4 catches

Game 14- Hooper 6 targets, 2 catches---Ridley 5 targets, 5 catches

Yeah, if anything the targets were somewhat random. Tells me there's enough targets to go around for everyone and the D often dictates who gets the ball. At that point who cares who catches it.

All the dumb decisions TD and Quinn made over the last few years caused this. Paying Vic 12 million last year for nothing, Over paying Freeman and not changing his contract when he became an injury prone bench scrub, Horribly over paying 2 OL scrubs that played horribly last year.

Because of their stupidity we have to let a 25 year old top TE walk out the door

TD was also to stupid to see these cap issues and understand we could not afford him, had he seen that Hooper might have ben able to have been traded last year so we'd at least get some draft picks for him. But Quinn and TD wanted those meaningless wins late last year to save their jobs.

16 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

Yeah, if anything the targets were somewhat random. Tells me there's enough targets to go around for everyone and the D often dictates who gets the ball. At that point who cares who catches it.

The point I was making is it’s completely foolish to say the reason Hooper was successful was because of Julio and Ridley

5 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

I do not understand the animosity towards Hooper from this forum. All he did was work hard every year and work hard in the off season with Ryan to improve to the point he is a Top 5 TE and only 25 years old. Our front office literally told him to get lost and yet people here are griefing on Hooper.

He did everything you would hope a young player would do to improve and he actually showed it on the field and yet the Front Office and forum goers here are crapping on him.

Hooper is a very solid TE, but not a gamebreaker.  I think guys like that are pretty important.

We'll have to replace his production from multiple places, with a good season from Graham splitting with probably a vet TE, and a drafted WR.  

If we could have Graham, a solid vet TE, and a 3rd round WR who hits the ground running...then we should make up most of the catches and be preparing for the future.