Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Run 'n' Shoot

F it! Let's break the bank for Chase Young if it's possible.

I know the holes are many and varied but I'm not really excited about anyone other than Young, Brown and Kinlaw.

I have a feeling none will be available at 16 so you might as well lock down what may be the second most important position on the field for the next 5-8 years.

Will we miss out on a backup linebacker, TE fill in, CB or OG/future center? Yeah, but substitution can be found that can provide a rookie level of production.

Three years from now when there is a perennial DPOY candidate in the team are we really going to be complaining about not having the next Campbell in the roster?

I feel crazy that I am posting this and may come to my senses tomorrow. I'm just in a mood where I'd rather draft the surest thing rather then a bunch of maybes.

I mean, Young may be All Pro level special.  But it’s still about building a balanced roster.  We need more quality players on rookie contracts, not fewer.  When you look at 2016 we had great players on rookie contracts which is a reason we had such a great team

Matthews, Rico, Grady, Beasley, Hooper, Debo, Neal, Dre, Poole, Freeman, Coleman, Toilolo, Collins, Hageman & Alford

46 minutes ago, Run 'n' Shoot said:

I know the holes are many and varied but I'm not really excited about anyone other than Young, Brown and Kinlaw.

I have a feeling none will be available at 16 so you might as well lock down what may be the second most important position on the field for the next 5-8 years.

Will we miss out on a backup linebacker, TE fill in, CB or OG/future center? Yeah, but substitution can be found that can provide a rookie level of production.

Three years from now when there is a perennial DPOY candidate in the team are we really going to be complaining about not having the next Campbell in the roster?

I feel crazy that I am posting this and may come to my senses tomorrow. I'm just in a mood where I'd rather draft the surest thing rather then a bunch of maybes.

We need to get our 6th pick back. Maybe trade carpenter for it.

53 minutes ago, Run 'n' Shoot said:

No. 
cant get DPOY when your TEAM is 7-9.

22 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I mean, Young may be All Pro level special.  But it’s still about building a balanced roster.  We need more quality players on rookie contracts, not fewer.  When you look at 2016 we had great players on rookie contracts which is a reason we had such a great team

Matthews, Rico, Grady, Beasley, Hooper, Debo, Neal, Dre, Poole, Freeman, Coleman, Toilolo, Collins, Hageman & Alford

Dang it, I’m all for Chase Young but you made one **** of a point about 2016 and balance.

Why not just have higher expectations from what we already have.

We’ve seen hints of this on the defense end of last year why shouldn’t our coaches and players have this expectations from within.

The idea that trading up and throwing everything to get Chase Young as a fix just sniffs of fan desperation. 

6 minutes ago, JetJones11 said:

If Simmons is still on the clock at 7 i do think we should try and trade up with Panthers it’ll prob cost us our 1st and one of our 2nds

Its not about any one player at this point with our team.. We just need 2 solid years of players that can contribute and hopefully we're back on track.. Not any one player in the draft or league at this point is going to get us there 

8 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I don't know if I agree. This is assuming we had a shot at Chase. We don't have a real shot at a great edge in FA. He's 6’5” 275 of pass rushing fury. That's hard to acquire. The skins have Sweatt, who we should have drafted, but this year isn't a great draft for pass rushers

Rico is a JAg. Poole was ok and undrafted so we can find nbs. Toilio for real? Graham is better than him. Hage was a bust essentially. Honestly, , most of the players you listed were JAgs and found in late rounds or FA

8 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

Why not just have higher expectations from what we already have.

We’ve seen hints of this on the defense end of last year why shouldn’t our coaches and players have this expectations from within.

The idea that trading up and throwing everything to get Chase Young as a fix just sniffs of fan desperation. 

Does it? Or is it truly that special player we're missing? I'm not 100 percent onboard with the idea...but this is more about which falcons teammate have. Is it the 1-7 one? Or is it the 6-2 one?

If the latter, you consider a young.

1 hour ago, MSalmon said:

Does it? Or is it truly that special player we're missing? I'm not 100 percent onboard with the idea...but this is more about which falcons teammate have. Is it the 1-7 one? Or is it the 6-2 one?

I just can’t see how any non-QB is worth it.  You’re essentially saying that

Young > Blacklock + Uche + Dobbins + 2021 1st Round Pick.

10 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

^ This, everything else is just balderdash hen lips rhetoric.

4 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I just can’t see how any non-QB is worth it.  You’re essentially saying that

Young > Blacklock + Uche + Dobbins + 2021 1st Round Pick.

You know, I like the potential of bringing in multiple good players.  Do I trust that the Falcons will do it?  No.  I think the Falcons are good with the obvious.  So if they were to get #2 overall, they would pick Chase Young.  People may not like what it costs, but everyone would be happy with the player and what he could "hopefully" be.  

I don't trust that with the picks we have now. 1st, 2 second rounders, 3rd rounder that the Falcons will turn those into 4 contributors on the team in 2020 and another guy in the 4th rounder that should be able to see the field and play a role.  The Falcons will do something weird like they did last year, trade picks to get back into round 1 to take a RT only with a medical issue that nobody was really high on.  It seems for years when we have had the capital, we like to move up for somebody that we scratch our head for.

I wish trading down was an options.  It could be, but l don't see many teams behind us wanting to move down.  If you want to cash in picks this year and next, go get Chase Young. Otherwise, stay right where you are and bring in 4 or 5 guys that will see the field this year.

I do not support mortgaging the future of this franchise for one single player. While that one player may be potentially great, it still is not worth it.  

Look at the Julio trade. Yes Julio has been one of the GOATs but still hasn’t translated to the ultimate goal - a championship. I love Julio just as much as any other Falcons fan, but this is the truth. 

With all that being said, TD is notorious for getting tunnel vision, couple that with the “win-now” “do or die” mode him and DQ are currently in, it would not surprise me one bit if we traded up. I do not agree with this approach, but IF we do trade up it must be for Young or Simmons, or potentially a falling Brown or Kinlaw. I just hope Kinlaw is there at 16 would be the optimal scenario. 

I can see the logic behind not trusting TD to take full advantage of our draft capital. I  definitely get that. Knowing him, we either burn that capital by moving up, or passing on better known names for some no name head scratcher. So I can def understand that. Honestly this is the year to take full advantage of all our capital - this draft is already way better than last years’ crop. Will TD actually make good picks? That is yet to be proven and quite frankly highly doubt it. Dobbins will be there at our second and we will take a no name. Just watch. 

We have no cap space and a lot of rosters holes. Now is the time to trade down in the later part of the 1st rd and collect more draft picks.

The only chance our team has to be a contender is to get a lot of young talent this draft that perform well on rookie contracts.

If we gamble on a single player we are screwed. Even if that single player dies well we still have more roster holes that will cancel them out.

Plus this is where Edge rushers go to die. We'd be wasting our time thinking we could draft another 1st rd edge rushing saviour.

2 hours ago, MSalmon said:

When has drafting or signing that saviour edge rusher ever paid off for us?

We've wasted so many picks in the draft and money in FA trying to get that single explosive Edge rusher and failed we would have been better off putting those picks and money building the rest of our defense.

Build a defense where any average pass rusher can come in and thrive.