I love Kinlaw. His ceiling is so far up. But in this situation, I'm taking Brown. They are both fantastic prospects. Both dominated top competition. But Brown is so fluid in his movements. The term dancing bear is thrown around and it sticks. His balance through the gap is elite too. Gimme either but if I gotta choose, gimme Brown.

On 3/5/2020 at 6:36 PM, Falcons Fan MVP said:

If by some miracle both Derek Brown and Kinlaw were both on the board at 16 which one would you take?

Brown won't make it out of the top 10 picks. Probably top 7.

Kinlaw does nothing for me. He strikes me as a "just a guy" player. Not a bust, not a star. Just someone who is good enough for a second contract, but not good enough for that contract to be with the team that drafts him.

Could I be wrong about him? Certainly, it's possible. If we draft him, I will absolutely be hoping to be wrong about his ceiling.

1 hour ago, Roanoke Falcon said:

Brown won't make it out of the top 10 picks. Probably top 7.

Kinlaw does nothing for me. He strikes me as a "just a guy" player. Not a bust, not a star. Just someone who is good enough for a second contract, but not good enough for that contract to be with the team that drafts him.

Could I be wrong about him? Certainly, it's possible. If we draft him, I will absolutely be hoping to be wrong about his ceiling.

I'm hoping for a home run in round 1. Young, Brown or Swift. Dimitroff did say he's looking for a game wrecker so anything can happen.

On 3/7/2020 at 10:06 AM, k-train said:

I think you are on to something with this. He tested rather poorly at the combine & instead of trying to improve on those numbers at his pro day, he didn't do any athletic testing at all & only did drills. So if he felt like he couldn't improve on an atrocious 8.22 second 3-cone, or his completely underwhelming vert & broad jump, that speaks volumes to your point. He's just a big, strong guy who isn't explosive or athletic enough to win with anything beyond straight ahead power. That can work well often enough, but to truly be successful in the NFL you'd like to see a guy considered one of the best in the draft class to be more than a one-trick pony.

Stop it. That's how rumors get started.

And @Francis York Morgan made a thread about his combine.

Edited by Cole World
On 3/8/2020 at 4:06 AM, k-train said:

I think you are on to something with this. He tested rather poorly at the combine & instead of trying to improve on those numbers at his pro day, he didn't do any athletic testing at all & only did drills. So if he felt like he couldn't improve on an atrocious 8.22 second 3-cone, or his completely underwhelming vert & broad jump, that speaks volumes to your point. He's just a big, strong guy who isn't explosive or athletic enough to win with anything beyond straight ahead power. That can work well often enough, but to truly be successful in the NFL you'd like to see a guy considered one of the best in the draft class to be more than a one-trick pony.

I mentioned this because I’ve seen a lot of this in the sports I have played down our part of the world with overly physical bigger stronger faster guys that dominate like they do pretty much at every level.

The issue then becomes and I see this a lot when the mentioned is negated at the highest level is negated and equalised what else has he got against better competition.

Most guys I’ve seen just go back to what they know and while that will make them a living will never reach there full potential in what I have seen.

Its like that old saying would you take a big dog or the dog that has the fight in it has a chip on its shoulder always feeling they have to prove themselves.

Mike Tyson good example of this not the biggest guy but the fight in the dog in his prime was frightening for opponents who were heavier taller longer reach physically just bigger but Tyson’s mentality of take no prisoners is what was a huge difference.

On 3/6/2020 at 2:52 AM, kiwifalcon said:

@Francis York Morgan

check the Bama game Deonte Brown handled him 1on 1 Brown got so frustrated they moved him to the other side.Fun starts at the 6 min.mark.What concerns me most about Brown is if he can’t win with power and running down the middle of people I fear there’s not much else there.I for one don’t like that in players especially pass rushers.

I don't think you're getting a pass rusher in Brown. But he is disruptive and strong. If his conditioning is in check, and he continues to get stronger he can certainly occupy two blockers on most occasions. 

That said, I agree with you that I don't want him at 16

4 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

Would like to see more refined hand use and seems to be intermittently slow off the snap.Also spends a bit more time on the ground then I’d like.

Brute strong just unrefined.

But I see a ton of warts with him as well. I don't think there is a DT that we need to grab at 16. 

If we go DT in draft, Id prefer Gallimore or MADUBUIKE

4 hours ago, Cole World said:

Stop it. That's how rumors get started.

And @Francis York Morgan made a thread about his combine.

Exactly. Ran it in the 7.5* range, low 7.6 at worst, which is terrific at 326 lbs. And then there's the comments on his "underwhelming" vert and broad...dude tested with weight in the 92nd percentile and STILL had a broad in the 74th percentile. It was something like top 5-10% for athletes his size. Ditto the 10 yard split, and he had the best bench of any player with 34" arms or longer at the combine (I know you know this, just saying for @k-train's sake).

Acting like Deionte Brown whooped DB...watch the whole game lol

4 hours ago, MSalmon said:

I don't think you're getting a pass rusher in Brown. But he is disruptive and strong. If his conditioning is in check, and he continues to get stronger he can certainly occupy two blockers on most occasions. 

That said, I agree with you that I don't want him at 16

I encourage you to watch the full ALA game (and other games, any of his games really) if you're mostly basing you're opinion off that Voch thing bro...I love Voch, but it feels like his word is law for some people here. Not saying you do this, but thinking Brown wins solely on power and then flipping around and wanting Kinlaw who ACTUALLY only wins on power blows my mind. And Brown is younger, has a better motor, phenomenal football character...I'm starting to think a lot of people are just bending their perception of Brown to fit their perception of his Combine. At 16, Brown would be a coup. 

Some of these folks saying he won't be a pass rusher better hope Brown is doubled most of the time like he was in college lol

17 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Exactly. Ran it in the 7.5* range, low 7.6 at worst, which is terrific at 326 lbs. And then there's the comments on his "underwhelming" vert and broad...dude tested with weight in the 92nd percentile and STILL had a broad in the 74th percentile. It was something like top 5-10% for athletes his size. Ditto the 10 yard split, and he had the best bench of any player with 34" arms or longer at the combine (I know you know this, just saying for @k-train's sake).

Acting like Deionte Brown whooped DB...watch the whole game lol

I encourage you to watch the full ALA game (and other games, any of his games really) if you're mostly basing you're opinion off that Voch thing bro...I love Voch, but it feels like his word is law for some people here. Not saying you do this, but thinking Brown wins solely on power and then flipping around and wanting Kinlaw who ACTUALLY only wins on power blows my mind. And Brown is younger, has a better motor, phenomenal football character...I'm starting to think a lot of people are just bending their perception of Brown to fit their perception of his Combine. At 16, Brown would be a coup. 

Some of these folks saying he won't be a pass rusher better hope Brown is doubled most of the time like he was in college lol

I just don't care for DTs that earLy, unless they are otherworldly. Raekwon has untapped potential in the second, as does Marbuduke and Gallimore and Blalock. Brown was a demon against UGa as well, but let's be fair Marlon Davidson and Nic Coe were on that loaded Auburn line. 

I don't mean this as a knock on brown, I just think we have better options and if slides our way it my be for a reason