Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
theProf

Drafttek's 7-round Mock Draft of March 4

1.   A.J. Epenesa  DE  Iowa

Ideally, the Falcons would love for Chaisson to slide down to this pick, but Epenesa seems a safer bet to be there at #16. Not surprisingly, he tested poorly in the speed drills, but he did OK in the agility-based drills. He performed pretty decently in the power-based broad jump that Atlanta has traditionally valued in linemen.

With Epenesa, you are drafting the floor, not the ceiling; the performance, not the ability. He's a reasonably safe pick, similar in his Combine scores to Clelin Ferrell. Epenesa was a tad slower, but he's also ten pounds heavier and more suited to bounce inside. He's not a "sexy" pick, but the young man can play.

2a. Julian Okwara  Edge  Notre Dame

With Epenesa filling the hybrid DT/EDGE role, the Falcons will need to add a pure edge rusher at this point. Okwara comes with some durability concerns, but he has enough athletic talent to warrant a look here. His rush defense is frankly poor, but that didn't stop Atlanta from paying Vic Beasley almost $13 million last season, so it might not matter here.

There are several other flawed-but-interesting edge rushers that might appeal to Atlanta in RD2-3 if they don't select Chiasson or Gross-Matos in the first round, including Zac Baun and Terrell Lewis.

2b.  Hunter Bryant  TE  Wahington

Austin Hooper is currently too expensive for Atlanta's cash-strapped budget. (Frankly, back-up TE Luck Stocker is too expensive). Adding a Tight End from a relatively weak class isn't ideal, and perhaps Atlanta will look to a second-tier free agent. If they don't, they might have to reach for a tight end.

Hunter Bryant is one of the better receiving threats in this class, although he has had some drop problems this year after catching 11-for-11 last year. The question is whether Dirk Koetter's offense will require a tight end with better blocking chops, or whether they will prioritize adding a weapon for Matt Ryan.

3.  Clyde Edwards-Helaire  RB  LSU

4.  Lamar Jackson  CB  Nebraska

5.  Keandre Jones   OLB   Maryland

7.  Darrion Daniels  DT   Nebraska

https://www.drafttek.com/2020-NFL-Mock-Draft/2020-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round-1.asp

35 minutes ago, Butudontseeme™ said:

I don’t think Epenesa is the athletic specimen that DQ tends to lean toward. I could see him more as a BPA selection for us in the second if he slid but I really don’t see him as the type we tend to go after especially first round. 

i dont either but would he be a beast at stopping the run and provide toughness and stoutness at the point of attack.  O Tackles wouldnt be able to toss him around. 

5 minutes ago, VTCrunkler said:

i dont either but would he be a beast at stopping the run and provide toughness and stoutness at the point of attack.  O Tackles wouldnt be able to toss him around. 

I agree. I just don’t think that’s the sizzle this regime goes for. I think he would be a great second round pick (and maybe first round pick) I just don’t think he’s the type of guy they value in the first round. 

1 hour ago, kiwifalcon said:

So they have us drafting an under performing combine guy 

A rush prospect who can’t defend the run with durability issues

And top this dog **** off a TE that has trouble catching the ball.

Draftek go fark yourself.

sounds to me like maybe TD had a hand in developing the algorithm for that run

:ninja::lol:

2 hours ago, Butudontseeme™ said:

I agree. I just don’t think that’s the sizzle this regime goes for. I think he would be a great second round pick (and maybe first round pick) I just don’t think he’s the type of guy they value in the first round. 

yeah i know..its the type of player PITT or BAL values...still wanted heyward to be a falcon...

7 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

I think they just draw names out of a hat.

Sad how much stock people are putting in the combine and how much they have gone from loving Epenesa to despising him.  Dude will still be really good, will be watching his pro day for sure, but if you were surprised by him not being super athletic or fast you obviously haven’t watched him play at all, that has never been his game.

8 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

Funny how people are destroying A.J. for underperforming at the combine after being productive in college, but want to crown Chaisson who wasn’t productive at all in college and didn’t even test at the combine.  Always amusing how these things play out.

I actually like Okwara from what I've seen. Coming off the injury is a little worrisome but it should be fine. He seems to be able to do a lot of the things we like to have Vic and Takk do. Looks fairly comfortable in coverage

1 hour ago, Rings said:

Funny how people are destroying A.J. for underperforming at the combine after being productive in college, but want to crown Chaisson who wasn’t productive at all in college and didn’t even test at the combine.  Always amusing how these things play out.

What’s funny is how everyone who was talking up Epenesa has disappeared into the weeds after the combine.

I don’t want Epenesa because him and the whole DE class is powder puff weak.

I’m hoping the FO make a couple of mid tier signings to shore the position up so we can go get a guy next year.I want know any part of this DE class this year because outside of Chase Young it’s dog pooh.

Hunter Bryant is the biggest reach here...I wouldn't hate Epenesa but I think a this point he is more suited for a 3-4 front. In our defense he would be a Arik Armstead type

7 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

What’s funny is how everyone who was talking up Epenesa has disappeared into the weeds after the combine.

I don’t want Epenesa because him and the whole DE class is powder puff weak.

I’m hoping the FO make a couple of mid tier signings to shore the position up so we can go get a guy next year.I want know any part of this DE class this year because outside of Chase Young it’s dog pooh.

Epenesa never really looked explosive to me as an athlete.  I didn’t think it would be as rough as it was, but it wasn’t way off what was expected.  

Derrick Brown however, brutal.  May be one of the saddest spider charts I’ve ever seen.

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/derrick-brown