Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Lowndesfalc

New CBA voting starts today

Posted (edited)
On 3/7/2020 at 1:25 PM, Ovie_Lover said:

And without players no one watches

It should be 50/50

I think that's the point all of you are missing. There will always be players. Every player can walk off over not getting what they want, and others are gonna step on the field willing to play for less than the NFL is offering now.  Even a lot of players in the league now will. They will walk away from the union and play. There will always be players happy to play for millions.  The players can't go start their own league, but the owners can move on from them, and watch the next top players on the world willing to play for what they offer. They are in business to make more money and make off like a bandit. They are being very generous at what they are offering.

Edited by THEHEADCOACH

4 minutes ago, THEHEADCOACH said:

I think that's the point all of you are missing. There will always be players. Every player can walk off over not getting what they want, and others are gonna step on the field willing to play for less than the NFL is offering now.  Even a lot of players in the league now will. They will walk away from the union and play. There will always be players happy to play for millions.  The players can't go start their own league, but the owners can move on from them, and watch the next top players on the world willing to play for what they offer. They are in business to make more money and make off like a bandit. They are being very generous at what they are offering.

Bro what, if Julio, Matt, Henry, Mahomes, etc walked away the game would crumble. 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

Bro what, if Julio, Matt, Henry, Mahomes, etc walked away the game would crumble. 

No, the next ones are already coming along. Mahomes and Henry would come back. Matt and Julio can afford to walk away. Most of the league can't afford to. They aren't going home and getting a job at McDonald's making that kinda money, they are gonna play. The next Julio and Matt will play too and be glad to take what these guys turned down.

Like it or not, that's the 100% truth, and you know it.

Edited by THEHEADCOACH

10 minutes ago, THEHEADCOACH said:

No, the next ones are already coming along. Mahomes and Henry would come back. Matt and Julio can afford to walk away. Most of the league can't afford to. They aren't going home and getting a job at McDonald's making that kinda money, they are gonna play. The next Julio and Matt will play too and be glad to take what these guys turned down.

You just said every player can walk away and someone will fill in. No one is gonna be Mahomes, Adams, Saquan, Hill, etc. Nah. It would take YEARS to rebuild what the NFL has now.

Just now, Ovie_Lover said:

You just said every player can walk away and someone will fill in. No one is gonna be Mahomes, Adams, Saquan, Hill, etc. Nah. It would take YEARS to rebuild what the NFL has now.

Dude, Those players may leave, but most are coming right back. There is no "Fill in".  They will come back to play or be replaced. The NFL will go on. The next guy is ready to take their job and show what they can do. The NFL would have no more than a one year hiccup, if that. The players ain't letting it go that far, they know exactly what I'm telling you. It's really based on how generous the owners want to be, the players don't have a lot of leverage and they probably aren't willing to go, to the length it will take to show their little bit of leverage. 

7 hours ago, Ovie_Lover said:

This is it exactly.  If the players walk away, it would take years for the owners to rebuild the league.

Without owners there is no league.  

The one putting up the money vs. the one making money off of the guy who put up the money....this is a simple equation.  

7 hours ago, THEHEADCOACH said:

Nobody watched the replacement players.

On 3/5/2020 at 4:11 PM, vel said:

Lol I didn't know another category for the non-high paid players. It seems the CBA split the players into two categories: high paid vets and everybody else. 

Anything less than a 50% split is still asinine in my opinion. Caps at 48.5%. That's nuts in my opinion. Also, it's a 10 year CBA with no out. The 2011 lockout happened because the owners had an out after 5. The players don't have that. They can't holdout into training camp. Missing just one day of TC because of a hold out causes you to lose an accrued season. That's a massive loss of leverage. Restricted FAs can't hit FA and don't have a guaranteed contract. 

They're adding a lot more football but not increasing the amount of rest. Additional playoff game while taking away a bye week for the 2nd seed? 17th game but no extra bye week. 

Basically, the owners dangled a lot of carrots for the bottom of the roster guys, the "Most guys wash out after 3 years" part of the NFL, to sway them to agree to this CBA. Practice squads are increasing and they're getting a "raise" but they can't negotiate beyond that. Increasing the roster was primarily for practice squad players. Again, fringe players. 

Considering all of the things the owners are "giving on", they are getting over half of the revenue still and still can tuck away revenue like stadium naming rights, luxury ticket sales, etc. They are still making out like bandits. The 17th game is more wear and tear on the players, but more money for the owners. 

I know of no place else where Labor gets even close to 48.5%. When the players have to cough up their share of the overhead on these organizations, share the risk, pay for capital improvements, and all the other items that makes up the total, I might be more sympathetic. 

I'll have add, I really feel sorry for those upper level players who make millions both on and off the field. If it was not for football.........Walmart is hiring!

20 hours ago, athell said:

Their risk is higher?  lmao...do you believe this nonsense?

Explain how it isn't instead of just throwing out generics and Lols.

20 hours ago, athell said:

lol you just proved all your other BS owner jargon null and void.  Congrats.

Nope, anyone who is the creator, has the power, or brings more money to the table always takes a bigger cut.  Again, explain how the players bring in the money up front. They are in the league FOR the money after the owners brought it to the table.  If the players could do it themselves why not pay a former player or player representative 10% of the revenues to be commissioner and take 90% for current players?  Because they don't have the ability to bring in the same revenues without the owners.

1 hour ago, IA Falcon07 said:

Explain how it isn't instead of just throwing out generics and Lols.

Nope, anyone who is the creator, has the power, or brings more money to the table always takes a bigger cut.  Again, explain how the players bring in the money up front. They are in the league FOR the money after the owners brought it to the table.  If the players could do it themselves why not pay a former player or player representative 10% of the revenues to be commissioner and take 90% for current players?  Because they don't have the ability to bring in the same revenues without the owners.

What's the average length of the nfl career vs the average length of ownership?  What health risks are the owners incurring from the sport?  Some of these guys are billionaires, explain to me how there is more risk for them than Joe Blow Player 52 roster guy struggling to make ends meet and who will be out of a job in 3 years.

And no, not "nope".  You literally said the product makes the money.  YOU said that.  The players are the product.  You are just being dense.  Fans pay to watch players play.  Period.  Owners just happen to cut the checks, which is important, but players are the key and always will be.  Players bring revenues.  TV contracts are in place literally for fans to watch players.  gtfo with this nonsense.

4 hours ago, kschreck said:

This is it exactly.  If the players walk away, it would take years for the owners to rebuild the league.

Without owners there is no league.  

The one putting up the money vs. the one making money off of the guy who put up the money....this is a simple equation.  

Yep, simple equation and also kind of a chicken and the egg situation.

Thing for me is...there will always be money. Money is plentiful.  Everywhere.  Top end NFL talent that sells tickets, merchandise, tv contracts, etc...is not.

9 minutes ago, athell said:

Yep, simple equation and also kind of a chicken and the egg situation.

Thing for me is...there will always be money. Money is plentiful.  Everywhere.  Top end NFL talent that sells tickets, merchandise, tv contracts, etc...is not.

Wouldn't it be some **** if NFL owners ****** around too much and players just left for the XFL

Just now, Ovie_Lover said:

Wouldn't it be some **** if NFL owners ****** around too much and players just left for the XFL

It would be incredible, but it would never happen.  The NFL is the end goal for all of these players and the league and owners know it hence the current situation.

I'd love if some big name or names gave the middle finger to the league and jumped to a separate league ala NBA or Soccer but it'll never happen :(

3 minutes ago, athell said:

It would be incredible, but it would never happen.  The NFL is the end goal for all of these players and the league and owners know it hence the current situation.

I'd love if some big name or names gave the middle finger to the league and jumped to a separate league ala NBA or Soccer but it'll never happen :(

Even so if they keep using the CBA to **** players you will see a drop in talent (not worth the injury risk if they're just gonna take away money, taller guys that played basketball but left for football wont be leaving, QBs that played pitcher will stay at pitcher.)

2 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

Even so if they keep using the CBA to **** players you will see a drop in talent (not worth the injury risk if they're just gonna take away money, taller guys that played basketball but left for football wont be leaving, QBs that played pitcher will stay at pitcher.)

I hope, I just see the NFL as a money cow right now that can print their own money and it is still too lucrative to pass up for these guys.  The winds of change are starting to blow, I think, but we probably won't see true change for a long time.

4 hours ago, Duff_Man said:

Nobody watched the replacement players.

They will watch. They won't miss many players anyway. Most will be back in no time. Most of the league can't afford to sit home. The owners know this. 

15 minutes ago, THEHEADCOACH said:

They will watch. They won't miss many players anyway. Most will be back in no time. Most of the league can't afford to sit home. The owners know this. 

The unfortunate truth.  It would take a few years of the big names to walk away to notice any kind of impact and to your point, the Rodgers, Watt's of the world are the 1%'ers.  Most of the league are the back half roster guys just trying to earn a living.

15 minutes ago, athell said:

The unfortunate truth.  It would take a few years of the big names to walk away to notice any kind of impact and to your point, the Rodgers, Watt's of the world are the 1%'ers.  Most of the league are the back half roster guys just trying to earn a living.

Yep, that's what I been trying to tell people.  Most of those 1%ers are close to the end of their careers. The young guys can't walk away.  Even the ones that just got paid, they want to stay, make that, and more. Im not even sure if the Ryan's and Julio's will stay out long, they can, but if the rest don't want to. They are already paid so much, they are playing for a different reason at this point. It just all doesn't stack well for the players. It's not just what they are losing by taking the CBA, but what they lose by not taking it, and can they take that loss.

31 minutes ago, athell said:

Calling it now

If the XFL is still around in 10 years (obviously it has grown at this point) they start fully guranteed contracts and make a push for NFL players.

3 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

Calling it now

If the XFL is still around in 10 years (obviously it has grown at this point) they start fully guranteed contracts and make a push for NFL players.

We will see.  For now it's hard to imagine anyone taking down the juggernaut that is the NFL.  It'll happen eventually though...when is the question.  I also see a push in the NFL to start guaranteeing contracts which would make your scenario even more difficult.

Just now, athell said:

We will see.  For now it's hard to imagine anyone taking down the juggernaut that is the NFL.  It'll happen eventually though...when is the question.  I also see a push in the NFL to start guaranteeing contracts which would make your scenario even more difficult.

They won't be successful but it would be enough to make the NFL do it

On 3/10/2020 at 10:58 AM, athell said:

What's the average length of the nfl career vs the average length of ownership?  What health risks are the owners incurring from the sport?  Some of these guys are billionaires, explain to me how there is more risk for them than Joe Blow Player 52 roster guy struggling to make ends meet and who will be out of a job in 3 years.

And no, not "nope".  You literally said the product makes the money.  YOU said that.  The players are the product.  You are just being dense.  Fans pay to watch players play.  Period.  Owners just happen to cut the checks, which is important, but players are the key and always will be.  Players bring revenues.  TV contracts are in place literally for fans to watch players.  gtfo with this nonsense.

What's the average length of being a toddler vs. the average length of being a human being?  The length of a career vs. being an owner is completely uncorrelated.  What financial risk do the players bare if the league folds?  None.  Money is the thing that makes the world go round.  Joe Blow can go get a job at McDonald's after he's done because that is the skill set he has acquired.  Owners bring massive power to the negotiating table.  TV contracts are in place so that the league and players can make money, fans are a by product because they line league participants pockets even more.  The players would play in front of no one and not care if they were still making millions a year.  I never said the product makes money, I said the players ARE the product.  All products make money in some capacity so you aren't incorrect there, but the difference is without the owners the players (product) would be worth pennies on the dollar.  Owners aren't just cutting checks they are at the tables increasing league revenues.  Again, why haven't the players just done it themselves if they are everything?  Your arguments aren't even valid towards what I said because you aren't even comprehending what I said.  I'm not saying players aren't important or the league exists without them like others have in this thread, I am saying the owners bring much more to the table for the league to even exist in the first place which is why they'll have the higher split.  There wouldn't be players if the owners didn't incentivize them with millions of dollars in the first place.