Falcons 3 biggest needs according to NFL.COM

1989Fan

Atlanta Falcons: Cornerback, pass rusher, offensive line

Projected cap space: $4.3 million.

The Falcons are a prime candidate to become the latest quick turnaround story in an NFL world full of them. Underachievers for a few seasons now, talent is still in abundance (at least on paper) for Atlanta. The most glaring weakness seems to be on the defensive side of the ball. Desmond Trufant was effective at cornerback (earning Pro Football Focus' 30th-best defensive grade at his position), but the Falcons need more at the position than just Trufant to get the defense to contender status once more. In terms of the pass rush, the Falcons decided to move on from Vic Beasley, a former first-round pick who underachieved the past three seasons, and must weigh whether to bring back Adrian Clayborn, who managed 4.0 sacks and two forced fumbles last season in his second stint with the team. Atlanta hasn't had a player hit double-digits in sacks since they went to the Super Bowl in the 2016 season, and that was Beasley (15.5). While Atlanta attempted to address its offensive line issues last offseason, the problems persisted, as evidenced by 50 sacks allowed. Free-agent signee James Carpenter struggled at guard before he hit injured reserve, while the debut seasons of first-round draft picks Chris Lindstrom and Kaleb McGary were marked by injury and sub-par play, respectively.

discuss...

link for anyone who wants to see all teams...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001105185/article/2020-nfl-free-agency-three-biggest-needs-for-each-nfc-team

8 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

I’m not taking any of these media outlets seriously if they don’t include coaching on there list of needs for the Falcons to improve on.

Well, it was free agency needs...I should have been more specific :lol:

they also have QB as DAL top need despite having 73million in cap space and the ability to tag Dak...yet they don’t have QB in the top 3 for WAS despite Haskins proving to being completely inept at the position.

7 minutes ago, Gold4425 said:

I hope we don't get over confident again. We have a lot of needs and a lack of cap space

TD and DQ are going to have to knock this draft out the park. Some players have to over achieve and we have to dodge the injury bug.

Why if DQ and co do a similar job like they did first half of last year how’s hitting a HR in the draft and FA going to help.

43 minutes ago, Dirtybird3 said:

But how do we get the players we need with the cap we have, serious question. Who legitimately can get cut that saves with minimal dead money? 

You don’t need cap to fix our issues you need players that are in years 2,3 & 4 in there development cycle to make the step foward.

We saw this happen with NO influx of talent on the defense last year.I personally think everyone’s looking at this wrong.The fix for this team is in house not the other way round.

23 minutes ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

I dont see CB as a top 3 need. Wouldnt be opposed to draftimg a  nickle in mid rounds so that Sheff could move to the boundary if needed.

Rb is much more of .a need than cb. There are only 2 positions om defense that couldnt be upgraded though

No doubt, CB falls after a number of positions. DE, DT, LB, TE, OG, HB.

Of course FA will play a big part but we'll see.

Lord knows last year we thought OL was set, albeit with a couple question marks, but we proved to try and trick the rest of the league..

Look for the Falcons to sign a DE or DT just to draft one 1st Rd. Maybe same said for CB. We shouldnt draft an HB Rd1 but you neva know. Maybe we hold Swift very high and thats why we haven't interviewed him yet. Plenty of time left

30 minutes ago, FalconsAllDayUrDay said:

No doubt, CB falls after a number of positions. DE, DT, LB, TE, OG, HB.

Of course FA will play a big part but we'll see.

Lord knows last year we thought OL was set, albeit with a couple question marks, but we proved to try and trick the rest of the league..

Look for the Falcons to sign a DE or DT just to draft one 1st Rd. Maybe same said for CB. We shouldnt draft an HB Rd1 but you neva know. Maybe we hold Swift very high and thats why we haven't interviewed him yet. Plenty of time left

Haven't met with Swift yet bc we help run UGAs proday. Guess that's when we meet up with him.

2 hours ago, 1989Fan said:

They didn’t dig too deep on McGary obviously. Stat driven assessment.

McGary led the league in sacks allowed and we gave up a 3rd to get that production.  He had some solid days and crapped the bed just as often.  Their analysis is fair until proven otherwise

On a year where we allowed a terrible number of sacks, KG was responsible for 30% of them

11 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

McGary led the league in sacks allowed and we gave up a 3rd to get that production.  He had some solid days and crapped the bed just as often.  Their analysis is fair until proven otherwise

We’ve had this discussion before I feel like, so likely will have to agree to disagree.

It all needs to be looked at in perspective. For a rookie RT, who missed most preseason activities, had the starting RG out all year (with Carp and Brown sucking in relief), playing in a scheme where the routes take forever to develop, oh and no help ever...I feel he did okay. He wasn’t elite, but wasn’t sub par either. If he was THAT bad, Gono or Sambrailo would have gotten reps and he would have sat. Once Lindstrom got back he looked much better. Like I said they didn’t dig too deep on the assessment.

He has shown enough flashes that I am confident he won’t bust. It’s not like he was just ok Here and there then mainly crappy other times...he was very good at times, and poor at other times. It was a consistency issues not ability issue and **** Kutter did him no favors at all. I am expecting him to play well in 2020, assuming he’s healthy.

to my previous comment in the thread...it was a lazy assessment by their writers. ATL need OL because KM sucked but WAS doesn’t need a QB after what Haskins showed? KM was MUCH better as a rookie that that bum.

3 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

We’ve had this discussion before I feel like. It all needs to be looked at in perspective. For a rookie RT, who missed most preseason activities, had the starting RG out all year (with Carp and Brown sucking in relief), playing in a scheme where the routes take forever to develop, oh and no help ever...I feel he did okay. He wasn’t elite, but wasn’t sub par either. If he was THAT bad, Gono or Sambrailo would have gotten reps and he would have sat. Once Lindstrom got back he looked much better. Like I said they didn’t dig too deep on the assessment.

He has shown enough flashes that I am confident he won’t bust. It’s not like he was just ok Here and there then mainly crappy other times...he was very good at times, and poor at other times. It was a consistency issues not ability issue and **** Kutter did him no favors at all. I am expecting him to play well in 2020, assuming he’s healthy.

to my previous comment in the thread...it was a lazy assessment by their writers. ATL need OL because KM sucked but WAS doesn’t need a QB after what Haskins showed? KM was MUCH better as a rookie that that bum.

He gave up more sacks in the second half of the season than he did in the first half.  If y’all want to be blind McGary loyalists don’t be it.  But he wasn’t good last year.  Certainly not worth our 3rd round pick.  He will be better next year, but last year was not good enough

They're about right on. I would add RB in there given Ito's concussion history and Freeman/s play/likelihood he gets cut. I would also add LB, and I think it's a bigger need than CB. Campbell was a great run defender, but an absolute liability in coverage. I think Oluokun can hold his own, but i'm not sure if he's much better than Campbell. I'm also leaving TE off because I firmly believe this system allows for plug an play with that position. If I had to put it in order, I'd say:

1. DE

2. G

3. LB

4. RB

5. CB

4 hours ago, Gold4425 said:

I hope we don't get over confident again. We have a lot of needs and a lack of cap space

TD and DQ are going to have to knock this draft out the park. Some players have to over achieve and we have to dodge the injury bug.

I figure the Falcons will have $25M in Cap space, when all is said and done. So if they do not go after a Fowler that eats up the lion's share of that, they should be able to fill their roster out with quality players. Players like Means, Davison, Wilson, and Wilcox still have some tread left, and those are only the players within arm's reach.

We already have Gono, Gage, Oliver, Sheffield, Oluokun, and Cominsky with nothing but upside. 

Many championship teams have come from very similar situations, so at least NFL.com got the part right about a possible quick turnaround story. Would not call them 'underachievers' any more though, think that next season they are going to have to do some 'overachieving'.

As far as coaching is concerned, I do believe in this coaching staff outside of Dan Quinn. Can he just hold up a Denny's menu next season, and make it look like he's picking out plays?

4 hours ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

I dont see CB as a top 3 need. Wouldnt be opposed to draftimg a  nickle in mid rounds so that Sheff could move to the boundary if needed.

Rb is much more of .a need than cb. There are only 2 positions om defense that couldnt be upgraded though

Agree with you about CB. Besides, hate to see any draft collateral used-up there until we see what Miller is all about. He has better combined height, length, and vertical than any other CB on the roster.

Definitely feel RB should at least be taken with one of the first four picks, at the least. Getting the running game going again, is not an option it is a necessity.  

4 hours ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Link is for free agent needs.  I sure hope we don’t address RB through FA.

13 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

He gave up more sacks in the second half of the season than he did in the first half.  If y’all want to be blind McGary loyalists don’t be it.  But he wasn’t good last year.  Certainly not worth our 3rd round pick.  He will be better next year, but last year was not good enough

He was a rookie.  I'm not worried yet, and that doesn't make me "blind", because I don't share your same opinion. If he doesn't make considerable improvement this year, than I will be concerned, but I like to give guys a chance before I move on.  

16 hours ago, 1989Fan said:

They didn’t dig too deep on McGary obviously. Stat driven assessment.

Which  is annoying... but understandable. I do not expect the  mainstream sports media  to  do deep dive into tape and actually understand a teams situation on a deeper level.

The line was not as bad as the 50 sacks would indicate. The sack to pass percentage  is in line with the rest of the nfl. It was a combination of things that lead to that  high sack number  ( sheer number of attempts  due to situational football ( being down 3 scores at half time). a different system than what has been ran in the past, and quit frankly some of it was on the qb.Ryan took 8-10 sacks over the course of the year  that he did not have to take.

I think year 2  will yield better results both on the ground and   in protection.