Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ryantlanta

Johnathan Taylor Needs To Be Picked By The Atlanta Falcons

Just now, FalconsIn2012 said:

Everyone on defense is faster now.  From the DT’s to  box safety, they can all move and these RB’s are getting hit by more players from different angles.  

Plus the backs are bigger and faster which often leads to non contact injuries

I can see that but you'd think the harder hits and less regulations would be harder on a RB vs now where they're more protected than ever. But I can see the faster players equals more players hitting you.

And the human body is being pushed further than ever. You're right about that.

4 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

I can see that but you'd think the harder hits and less regulations would be harder on a RB vs now where they're more protected than ever. But I can see the faster players equals more players hitting you.

And the human body is being pushed further than ever. You're right about that.

Yeah...honestly I just think it’s the 30 year number.  People say Sanders retired in his prime, but he turned 30 and his ypc went from 6.1 to 4.3 and he summarily retired.  Just a tough position.  I wish their entire contracts were guaranteed

4 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Yeah...honestly I just think it’s the 30 year number.  People say Sanders retired in his prime, but he turned 30 and his ypc went from 6.1 to 4.3 and he summarily retired.  Just a tough position.  I wish their entire contracts were guaranteed

But now they're dropping before 30. Gurley, Gordon wasn't the same this year, Freeman, D Johnson, etc.

1 hour ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

It’s actually closer to 2% (1.86% to be exact)...which over 300 touches is 5.  That isn’t awful, but his fumble rate in college isn’t against NFL players.

I can’t seem to find all 3 seasons of fumble stats on CMC, but two of his seasons have him with 3 fumbles on 431 touches have him at .69%.

I don’t think the two are comparable in this regard.

First I do need to make a correction to the McCaffrey stats. His fumble percentage is .006 in the NFL. In College it was .005 percent. So a slight increase from college to the NFL. The initial reason I used McCaffrey as comparison was the bulk usage he had in the NFL. 

www.teamrankings.com/college-football/player/christian-mccaffrey

You're also comparing college coaches vs NFL coaches. If we're putting it in perspective of NFL caliber personnel, then that needs to be taken into consideration as well. Better coaching means better technique, which could conceivably solve fumble issues.

Case in point Dalvin Cook:

College:

706 Tch/Rec

13 Fumbles

0.018%

NFL:

561 C

7 Fumbles

0.012%

You also have cases where volume can increase total fumbles while maintaining fumble percentage

Case in point Derrick Henry:

College:

619 Tch/Rec

5 Fumbles

.008%

NFL:

861 Tch/Rec

7 Fumbles

.008%

If you take a look at his first 3 seasons he only had 2 total fumbles. This past season he had 5. This was when his volume increased.

Point of all this is that fumbles don't necessary translate from the College to Pro levels based on a a number of mitigating factors. If we did draft Taylor (Huge If), I doubt we will be consistently giving him the ball more than 20 times a game. That just isn't how our offense operates. If teams utilize him the way GB uses Aaron Jones, I think we will see a drastic decrease in his fumble percentage.

Would love to have Taylor in the backfield.  But the Falcons have get back to running the zone stretch first.  Koetter has destroyed the running game because he doesn't know how to scheme those plays.  Fans want to blame the OL, but I bet if Shanny was still here Freeman and others wouldn't have the issues they do with Koetter.

6 hours ago, Da_Truth said:

Would love to have Taylor in the backfield.  But the Falcons have get back to running the zone stretch first.  Koetter has destroyed the running game because he doesn't know how to scheme those plays.  Fans want to blame the OL, but I bet if Shanny was still here Freeman and others wouldn't have the issues they do with Koetter.

Said that all season.

No, we need at least 2 DT's in this draft and one of them needs to be in the 1st rd. You don;t draft a RB in the 1st and you don;t give a RB a big contract after their rookie contract expires. We need to learn this crap.

On 3/3/2020 at 2:38 PM, KCFalcon22 said:

IF we got Fowler in FA, i'd still take Kinlaw (hope for him) at 16.  I'd package our first 2nd and a 4th to move back into the end of the 1st round or move up in the 2nd to pick Taylor or Dobbins.  I like Dobbins more bc i'm afraid Taylors wheels will fall off early.  But I guess thats why you get the most out of them during their rookie contract.

You guys are NUTS!!!

We got holes all over our roster and a horrible cap situation and you want us to trade picks for a RB? WTF is wrong with you all? We need to be trading back to collect MORE picks so we can fill our roster with less expensive rookie contracts.

13 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

No, we need at least 2 DT's in this draft and one of them needs to be in the 1st rd. You don;t draft a RB in the 1st and you don;t give a RB a big contract after their rookie contract expires. We need to learn this crap.

So if kinlaw is picked just reach for whatever dt anyway? Solid plan cotton.

2 hours ago, MAD597 said:

You guys are NUTS!!!

We got holes all over our roster and a horrible cap situation and you want us to trade picks for a RB? WTF is wrong with you all? We need to be trading back to collect MORE picks so we can fill our roster with less expensive rookie contracts.

Oh sorry for having an opinion IF yours is the only one that matters bro.  You win, I’ll get a snickers.