Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
*TMo*

Bench Press @ Combine

How many of you folks would like to see the bench press removed from the combine and be replaced with squat or deadlift? Seems bench press has always been the measuring stick for strength for most people. It really isn't that applicable to football. Lower body strength should be more applicable to football. Or is that just me? May be?

As lifter I wouldn't mind seeing a power clean or squat clean. it's a more functional lift and shows explosion and power. But I'm not a football scout or coach so I'm not sure what they are looking for. Bench press is fun to watch though.

1 minute ago, slick0ne said:

As lifter I wouldn't mind seeing a power clean or squat clean. it's a more functional lift and shows explosion and power. But I'm not a football scout or coach so I'm not sure what they are looking for. Bench press is fun to watch though.

Bench is used because you're less likely to get injured tbh than other lifts. 

Not a fan of bench but eh I get it.

4 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

Bench is used because you're less likely to get injured tbh than other lifts. 

Not a fan of bench but eh I get it.

Yup.  Also bench is a pretty good indicator of overall strength and much of football is pushing (blocking, bull rush, shedding blocking, beating press coverage, etc)

4 minutes ago, slick0ne said:

I only bench to brag that I still got it at 44 LOL...crap hurts my shoulders and elbows too much nowadays.

Man I feel you there.  I am 39 and my body aches for days after I do anything athletic these days.  Just balled out on my 16 year old son in basketball yesterday and am paying for it today!  Knees and back!

8 minutes ago, athell said:

Yup.  Also bench is a pretty good indicator of overall strength and much of football is pushing (blocking, bull rush, shedding blocking, beating press coverage, etc)

I have long contested that the bench press should be replaced with Dumb bells..the reason being is that as a lineman ( either side of line) are never pushing something static like a bar.....dumb bells require stabilizing strength because of the movement that is going to happen on the field.

@Knight of God brought up a good point regarding that though in that there is much much higher risk of injury with that idea.

1 minute ago, falconsd56 said:

I have long contested that the bench press should be replaced with Dumb bells..the reason being is that as a lineman ( either side of line) are never pushing something static like a bar.....dumb bells require stabilizing strength because of the movement that is going to happen on the field.

@Knight of God brought up a good point regarding that though in that there is much much higher risk of injury with that idea.

Agreed on all, and yea dumbbells get all the stabilizer muscles activated which means higher probability of injury whereas the bar isolates the pecs.  Especially shoulders are concern.

Bench is more of a discipline test than anything. We all know it's coming. Have you worked on it? There are thresholds that players are typically measured on. If a WR/CB can't hit 10 reps, that makes me nervous. If a DL struggles to sniff 20 reps (depending on arm length obviously), then I'm nervous. It's not a guarantee, but size = strength in the NFL and you should be able to demonstrate that using a basic exercise. 

37 minutes ago, athell said:

Man I feel you there.  I am 39 and my body aches for days after I do anything athletic these days.  Just balled out on my 16 year old son in basketball yesterday and am paying for it today!  Knees and back!

Man getting old blows. I had to fake pulling a hamstring last time I raced my 18 year old cause I felt him pulling away from me....I am not ready to lose to him yet :lol:

5 minutes ago, vel said:

Bench is more of a discipline test than anything. We all know it's coming. Have you worked on it? There are thresholds that players are typically measured on. If a WR/CB can't hit 10 reps, that makes me nervous. If a DL struggles to sniff 20 reps (depending on arm length obviously), then I'm nervous. It's not a guarantee, but size = strength in the NFL and you should be able to demonstrate that using a basic exercise. 

The combine really is kinda silly when you think about it, especially the 40 yard dash which was originally invented because of punt coverage lol

1 minute ago, athell said:

The combine really is kinda silly when you think about it, especially the 40 yard dash which was originally invented because of punt coverage lol

Lol exactly! We all know players rarely run 40 yards untouched. Why is it so heralded? Because we love "races". It's basically the Olympics. 

Just now, vel said:

Lol exactly! We all know players rarely run 40 yards untouched. Why is it so heralded? Because we love "races". It's basically the Olympics. 

Down to the skimpy outfits!  :munch:

51 minutes ago, athell said:

Try CBD oil. It’s been a miracle for me, especially my old arthritic inflamed knees. Just make sure you get the right stuff....quality matters

10 minutes ago, Atl Falcon said:

Try CBD oil. It’s been a miracle for me, especially my old arthritic inflamed knees. Just make sure you get the right stuff....quality matters

I've heard that, thanks I gotta try that out one of these days.  I've had chronic back issues since 19 and now my knees are shot from all the years of sports.  I have heard great things about CBD oils.

It’s wildly considered the most useless drill there, and I’ve heard from multiple sources it will be going away in the future.   Only reason they still do it is tradition at this point and they are scared to change it up because we have so many years of data on it to use as a comparison.  

Pretty much if you have longer arms, you do less reps, as you have to move the weight a longer distance up and down.  You could have longer arms, have more functional strength and do less reps because of it.

The punter who did 25 reps had 31” inch arms, Epenesa bad 35” arms at 17 reps.  Look at their profiles and tell me who you think is stronger.  It’s also a big reason why guards tend to put up more reps than tackles as well.

53 minutes ago, Atl Falcon said:

What's the right stuff? PM me?

1 hour ago, vel said:

The very same people who can't hit your rep threshold could be hitting massive 1 rep maxes or doubles. Rep totals aren't an indicator of strength, but simply lactic acid resistance and muscle endurance. It doesn't even measure cardio. I don't completely hate the exercise, but make these guys lift north of 300 pounds. That wouldn't be hard at all for these guys. 

7 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

The very same people who can't hit your rep threshold could be hitting massive 1 rep maxes or doubles. Rep totals aren't an indicator of strength, but simply lactic acid resistance and muscle endurance. It doesn't even measure cardio. I don't completely hate the exercise, but make these guys lift north of 300 pounds. That wouldn't be hard at all for these guys. 

That's my point. It shouldn't be hard. If you know most teams have a rep threshold, it shouldn't take much to hit it. Nobody cares about a corner who can get up >20 reps if he's a legit cover guy. But the CB who can barely rep out 10 is raising red flags. For me, the bench press reps just checks the box of "do you even care?". I'd say 99% of prospects for me check that box, making it obsolete in my opinion. You have been training for the Combine. I'm assuming getting your bench reps in order is apart of that. 

1 hour ago, athell said:

I've heard that, thanks I gotta try that out one of these days.  I've had chronic back issues since 19 and now my knees are shot from all the years of sports.  I have heard great things about CBD oils.

Don’t wait too long and Curcumin Tumeric helps too. Good luck

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, athell said:

Best thing for me with the back is inversion. Hang myself straight outta bed every day.

Edited by Charles Wright