Jump to content

Official HAWKS March Game Thread


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We have one of the best young 4s in the league!!!  

Player Development. Guys aren't going to grow if you pigeon hole them based on what they can do now.  Collins isn'the elite offensive big man he is today because we decided his game could never grow. 

I tried to tell folks about losing and its effect on our young core. I said it wasn't worth the small percentage increase in lottery odds. We should embrace the player development, but never let them

Posted Images

1 hour ago, blkbigdog35 said:

True, but what I didn’t see was what we saw in those two back to back wins.  I can understand why CLP was disappointed.  

To @jayu70's point, it is hard to keep up the play they did in the back-to-back wins, but that's no excuse. Every team has to go through it. They didn't look competitive at all in the second half. I hope they're learning what it takes to be a winner in this league. Also, the way the Grizzlies played should also be a lesson in that when they share the ball and everyone becomes a threat to score, the team as a whole becomes harder to defend. They had nine guys in double figures. I haven't seen that from the Hawks since the Horford/Millsap days with Coach Bud.

I get that they want to play with pace, but sometimes they need to slow it down and work the shot clock in the half court. Keep the ball moving side to side. As much as Golden State in their heydays were dangerous in the open court, they were still very effective in the half court (which you have to be in the playoffs when the pace generally slows down anyway).

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr.11 said:

To @jayu70's point, it is hard to keep up the play they did in the back-to-back wins, but that's no excuse. Every team has to go through it. They didn't look competitive at all in the second half. I hope they're learning what it takes to be a winner in this league. Also, the way the Grizzlies played should also be a lesson in that when they share the ball and everyone becomes a threat to score, the team as a whole becomes harder to defend. They had nine guys in double figures. I haven't seen that from the Hawks since the Horford/Millsap days with Coach Bud.

I get that they want to play with pace, but sometimes they need to slow it down and work the shot clock in the half court. Keep the ball moving side to side. As much as Golden State in their heydays were dangerous in the open court, they were still very effective in the half court (which you have to be in the playoffs when the pace generally slows down anyway).

I agree with you and @jayu70 points especially when you have to adapt your game to different situations.  My biggest issue is when they show no pride in there performance.  I mean I truly understand 3 games in 4 nights but they aren’t the only team dealing with that.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

You could tell last night they did run out of gas somewhere in the middle 3rd.  The pace was noticeably slower and mistakes started happening.

BUT, the real reason we lost was we only shot 32%, while the Grizz shot 50% AND got 17 more rebounds than us.

Everyone clearly got frustrated that shots weren't dropping, and you could see the demoralization set in when it was obvious Memphis couldn't miss a shot no matter how ugly or deep it was.  It was just a bad combination.  Tired + Demoralized + bad shooting = crap effort... apparently.

They need to learn how to deal with that better.  Their maturity levels clearly showed last night.  I bet Vince Carter was livid and chewed them all new A-holes in the locker room.  Hopefully held a session on growing up.

Link to post
Share on other sites

https://929thegame.radio.com/media/audio-channel/travis-schlenk-with-john-and-hugh-8

 

"It's very disappointing, we played poorly, but our effort there is an unacceptable performance from an effort standpoint," says Schlenk. There's going to be nights you mish shots and that's why you gotta play hard, be locked in defensively, those are things you can bring every single night and we didn't do that last night."

"I feel like performances like that are a reflection of everybody, myself included, and that's why I say those performances are unacceptable."

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a lot of players injured too.  I feel that Vince Carter should have been put in earlier to provide a spark but its hard to judge because we always fall behind and then catch up.  Because we are streaky and frequently fall behind, its hard to determine when to make that critical wholesale change.  Its a young team and hopefully the team will mature next yr.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Am I the only one or is anybody else ready to run Lloyd Pierce out of town? His message aint getting through. My dead peewee league coach could coach better defense.

I'm not.

Pierce is in his 2nd year as n NBA head coach. Dors he deserve some criticism, of course.

However, Hawks front office predicted 30 wins, we have 19 wins with 19 left. Factor in Collins' suspension, starting 2 rookies, useless vets in Parsons, Crabbe and Turner, ole man Vince, no starting Center, no real backup PG. Can't give him lemons and expect Champagne. 

First Half: 9-32

Second Half: 10-11 (4-3 post ASB)

This season is about the Development over Wins and I see the development of the young core.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jayu70 said:

I'm not.

Pierce is in his 2nd year as n NBA head coach. Dors he deserve some criticism, of course.

However, Hawks front office predicted 30 wins, we have 19 wins with 19 left. Factor in Collins' suspension, starting 2 rookies, useless vets in Parsons, Crabbe and Turner, ole man Vince, no starting Center, no real backup PG. Can't give him lemons and expect Champagne. 

First Half: 9-32

Second Half: 10-11 (4-3 post ASB)

This season is about the Development over Wins and I see the development of the young core.

 

The team he coaches has more talent on it than you're indicating. They are one of, if not the worst defensive team in the NBA. Not good for a so called defensive coach. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

The team he coaches has more talent on it than you're indicating. They are one of, if not the worst defensive team in the NBA. Not good for a so called defensive coach. 

Talent yes, but very young and they lack consistency. We have our dynamic duo in Trae and Collins on offense but they struggle on defense. Our two defensive ROOKIE wings in Reddish and Hunter are inconsistent on offense.  Too many games we aren't even playing with a full starting roster, let alone the bench. Huerter has been our most consistent wing. Sometimes Bruno looks like he doesn't know how to play basketball.

We something called a Damian Jones tons of Center minutes because the Centers we traded for are injured.

Unfortunately we haven't had any consistency for any stretch of games with a starting line up and bench. Pierce is doing a lot of mixing and matching game to game.

Edited by jayu70
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jayu70 said:

Talent yes, but very young and they lack consistency. We have our dynamic duo in Trae and Collins on offense but they struggle on defense. Our two defensive ROOKIE wings in Reddish and Hunter are inconsistent on offense.  Too many games we aren't even playing with a full starting roster, let alone the bench. Huerter has been our most consistent wing. Sometimes Bruno looks like he doesn't know how to play basketball.

We something called a Damian Jones tons of Center minutes because the Centers we traded for are injured.

Unfortunately we haven't had any consistency for any stretch of games with a starting line up and bench. Pierce is doing a lot of mixing and matching game to game.

There are a lot of young teams that had injuries but played way better defense than us. DAL, IND, CHA, CHI, MIA, SAC, DET, etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...