Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Carter

March 2020 UGA Recruiting Thread

1 hour ago, AutumnEffect said:

Last Douglasville dawg was Herrien. If Jefferson has half the commitment of Herrien, he will be a DGD!

Another Douglas Co Tiger-Dawg from the past was Linebacker Norman Cowins from 1986-1990.

He was a good player for Dawgs but had some off field issues.  His claim to fame was he had a wrinkly head and a Mohawk and was the centerfold for an Sports Illustrated pic showing the back of his head..

Image result for norman cowins sports illustrated

found it!!!

other notable DCHS players that were Dawgs - William Tang (OG/OT - 1983-1987) at one point he was starter for Dawgs but he had neck issues that cut short his playing career. (back in the day, he was 6'4", 295lbs - little skinnier these days - great, great guy!!!)

Image may contain: Shoushin William Tang, smiling

other notable DCHS players that went elsewhere - Stacy Danley (RB 1986 - Auburn), Quincy Williams (DE - 1981 - Auburn),  Chette Williams, (1982 - Auburn - now the chaplain there).   Charlie Thomas (QB 1980 - Auburn).    For awhile, Auburn really had their foot in the door.

13 minutes ago, AutumnEffect said:

No question, West Georgia is pretty contentious territory between Aubie and UGA

yessir - Auburn pretty strong in Carrollton (Trojans) and in that Lagrange/Newnan area as well where there are some good players - makes sense as Auburn as close to that area as Athens.   I still don't like it.

Stacy Danley was a heckuva running back for Auburn - don't know what they were feeding him but he left DCHS about 6'2" and 185lbs and after 4 years at Auburn he was a rock solid 225lbs. - probably would have been a 1st/2nd round pick if he would have come out his junior year  - came back hurt his neck and went undrafted - tried out for Seattle but don't think he even made it.   It was a shame.  He was an athletic director Alabama State but looks like he got fired for cause.  He is athletic director for South Carolina State now.

Image result for stacy danley auburn

Image result for south carolina state athletic director

but I digress......

Back to the news of the day - Congrats Jonathan Jefferson and welcome to DAWG NATION!!!!  Go Dawgs!!!

Georgia trending for five-star Amarius Mims

ByKIPP ADAMS 40 minutes ago

With both starting tackles off to the NFL, Georgia enters 2020 with uncertainty along the offensive line. Looking to the 2021 cycle, it is clear that Georgia needs to restock its offensive line room and, as luck would have it, there are plenty of talented in-state targets on the board. One of them is trending to the Dawgs in the 247Sports Crystal Ball.

According to the predictive feature, Georgia has received all six predictions and hold all of the selections for Cochran (Ga.) Bleckley County five-star Amarius Mims. The 6-foot-7, 315-pound prospect has over two dozen offers and a top 14 of Clemson, Auburn, LSU, Alabama, Florida State, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, USC, Georgia, Florida, UNC, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Oregon.

Mims last visited Georgia in January.

"It was good," Mims said. "Everything went well and we talked a lot and got to know each other better. We will have a strong relationship as I keep going up there and keep spending time with him. I got to talk to Coach Smart and the entire coaching staff and players and Brock Vandagriff."

The 6-foot-7.5, 315-pound junior came out of his latest visit with a high level of comfort.

"Like I have told you, it feels like home when I go to Georgia and it still feels like home now," Mims said. "They are definitely back at the top. I told you in Orlando that LSU and Alabama were up there but you knew you could not count Georgia out. They were up there with them and they might be ahead after this visit. I would probably say they have taken the lead. I have been talking to LSU and Alabama and they are right there. I talk to those three the most and they have had the most impact so far."

It looks like Georgia has reclaimed the top spot with Mims and he explained why the momentum had been regained.

"Just that relationship I have," Mims said. "I have been there so many times that I have built a strong relationship with Kirby Smart. I am just more familiar with Georgia than I am the other schools. They have a good chance with me."

Mims is given a player comparison of Cam Robinson and the scouting report is below.

Possesses an elite combination of size and length for an offensive tackle. Has rare length by way of long arms and big hands along with a sturdy build with room to add some muscle to his frame. On the hoof, looks as good as you could hope for at this stage for an offensive tackle prospect. Already is over 300 pounds without much bad weight. Shows his athletic ability while playing both ways at offensive tackle and defensive end. Moves well at the second level, using quick feet and his length to get his hands on linebackers. Shows good flexibility and bends at the knees. Has some pop in his hands and easily plants opposing defensive linemen on contact. Will need to continue getting stronger and refining his pass set technique. Looks to have a very high upside early on and should develop into a top national prospect. Has the ultimate upside of developing into a multi-year starter at the Power 5 level and eventual high NFL Draft pick.