Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

This is where I see the value in such players and why I’m high on them.

If you take note of Clemson who didn’t have big time pass rushers per say but know how to use a guy like Simmons to effect an opposing offenses.Basically a positionless player.

Chaisson not so much but you get the jist of if guys like this are used in this manner how much better a defense can be without the traditional edge rush.

2 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

The reason I like them and also Fowler is the fact that we need to be drafting guys that aren't scheme soecific, especially this year because who knows what next year will bring. We might be running a new scheme.

See your point.But I’m not looking past this year.Much like the cap I’ll worry about what’s right in front of me now and how guys like this can help us in the present.

1 minute ago, kiwifalcon said:

See your point.But I’m not looking past this year.Much like the cap I’ll worry about what’s right in front of me now and how guys like this can help us in the present.

I’m the opposite. I see the immense talent in next years draft and I want capital in that draft over this one. If we could trade back and get another 1st rounder next year I’m doing it. 

27 minutes ago, Akod2017 said:

I’m the opposite. I see the immense talent in next years draft and I want capital in that draft over this one. If we could trade back and get another 1st rounder next year I’m doing it. 

I'm about it. Doubt TD is, given the importance of this year, but I see the appeal

Completely agree. Even if he were not on the hot seat it’s not his MO. As a fan though it would be a great contingency for a poor start again. Might even get 1969 on board with a tankathon for the type of players coming out next year even if that doesn’t mean getting Lawrence or Fields.

57 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Looks plenty big enough for those doubting size.

With the movement and footwork to boot.

Who'd have thought.

Kid looks legit. He is definitely big enough to cause some problems. Imagine him at lined up at base SLB on the LOS. No TE would be able to handle him in the run game. Then he rotates with Fowler and Takk for passing downs as a rusher. Kid could be a problem.

Im not getting my hopes up though after TD's presser. I noticed they seem more concerned about corner than any other position. He said you can never have too many. He didnt say that about pass rushers and when asked about replacing Campbell he brushed it off as Jones and Foye being more than capable. 

I think TD is more comfortable drafting DBs as he has gotten burned by his DE and LB picks more often than not. Im not holding my breath for Chaisson, unfortunately.

I’m am asking this without agenda...who would be some success stories for “position-less players” in the NFL. the best modern comp I can think of is Leonard Floyd...I don’t buy the Vic comp, but do see Floyd coming out of UGA, but w less production.

I see Simmons as a pure LB in the NFL despite his athleticism, Chaisson is the guy who I don’t know where he fits. He seems to make most sense as a 3-4 backer...can he put his hand in the dirt and be effective?

if he is a legit pass rusher he could be a worthy pick...if he is L. Floyd, I’m not taking that at 16. CHI sang Floyd’s praises, but didn’t value the position-less player enough to even finish out his rookie contract.

2 hours ago, 1989Fan said:

I’m am asking this without agenda...who would be some success stories for “position-less players” in the NFL. the best modern comp I can think of is Leonard Floyd...I don’t buy the Vic comp, but do see Floyd coming out of UGA, but w less production.

I see Simmons as a pure LB in the NFL despite his athleticism, Chaisson is the guy who I don’t know where he fits. He seems to make most sense as a 3-4 backer...can he put his hand in the dirt and be effective?

if he is a legit pass rusher he could be a worthy pick...if he is L. Floyd, I’m not taking that at 16. CHI sang Floyd’s praises, but didn’t value the position-less player enough to even finish out his rookie contract.

I think you see it more with hybrid safeties (Honey Badger, Budda Baker, Jamal Adams, Derwin James etc). I agree Simmons is going to make his money as an off ball linebacker in the NFL, likewise Chaisson is probably going to make his money as a pass rusher, who can play a bit of SAM in base.

2 hours ago, 1989Fan said:

It is an interesting question and I can't think of anyone off the top of my head. I am more focused on their versatility rather than the term position-less. How many guys in the NFL can rush the passer, set the edge, and play tight coverage?

In today's NFL, offenses are getting very good at forcing match-ups with the use of motion. Teams loves to get match-ups where their slot guy or top receiver is matched on a linebacker. I remember Oklahoma getting a matchup between Ceedee Lamb where Chaisson stayed step for step with him. You can also throw in some coverages that can confuse QB's and force mistakes. Imagine having a guy like Simmons who drops pre-snap into a two high safety look.  The options you have with two elite athletes like this is endless.

7 hours ago, 1989Fan said:

This is what people have never understood about the “positionless” player. Coaches that draft these players have so much ego that they can develop anyone and it has hardly ever worked. The closest thing I’ve seen to a success story is Brian Urlacher and Thomas Davis but the thing is with both they played Saftey and converted to LB because of size. When he comes into the NFL he will have to learn and stick to one positions. What Coach wouldn’t want a player that could play 2-3 positions at an elite level? The NFL is too complex and you’re overwhelming the player who will say yes he could do anything because he’s getting paid millions of dollars. Time and time again it has not worked on the level people expect it too and I’m not in the mood for gambling this draft.