Antonio Gibson anyone?

Romfal

He's a guy I initially had on my annual players to watch at the combine & pro days list, before I cut it down to my final version. I was big on Tony Pollard & had him on my list last year, and the way Memphis used Gibson reminded me a lot of Pollard. I think he's a great weapon, and I absolutely love the versatility he brings along with good size & speed...but not sure how much he could handle being used as a primary back which is what I feel we are more likely to be seeking.

That said, if there was a scenario where we could grab someone like Akers in the 3rd, I would not be opposed to using a late round pick on Gibson, too. Those two paired up with a more polished Ollison taking care of the short yardage stuff would be a massive improvement over what we had this past season.

I'm all for Gibson. No, Koetter isn't the most creative OC, but Gibson has the positional flexibility to capitalize on stagnant defensive schemes. If a team treats him like a RB and puts an LB on him, it's a mismatch. If a team treats him like a WR, use him in the backfield more to get the DB in the box. He's a very tough problem to solve with the right OC. 

3 hours ago, k-train said:

He's a guy I initially had on my annual players to watch at the combine & pro days list, before I cut it down to my final version. I was big on Tony Pollard & had him on my list last year, and the way Memphis used Gibson reminded me a lot of Pollard. I think he's a great weapon, and I absolutely love the versatility he brings along with good size & speed...but not sure how much he could handle being used as a primary back which is what I feel we are more likely to be seeking.

That said, if there was a scenario where we could grab someone like Akers in the 3rd, I would not be opposed to using a late round pick on Gibson, too. Those two paired up with a more polished Ollison taking care of the short yardage stuff would be a massive improvement over what we had this past season.

I dont think he is a primary back, but I think he can play a Tevin Coleman role and also line up at WR and return kicks. If we draft a back in the 2nd I'd still take him in the 4th, he can be really good.

3 hours ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Dillon and Gibson would totally remake our backfield. 

Two wasted draft picks if we did,  Dillon is a back that has almost no value as a receiver, Gibson is a player that had almost no value as a RB.  It would be very obvious what we were doing when either was on the field, and we know how Dirk loves to tip his hat based on personnel.  Gibson has 33 total carries as a RB, while Dillon has 21 totals receptions, aka if we fall behind in a game, Dillon is taken completely out of the game.

Unless we are taking these one dimensional backs in the 5th+ rounds, I’ll pass.

10 hours ago, Rings said:

Two wasted draft picks if we did,  Dillon is a back that has almost no value as a receiver, Gibson is a player that had almost no value as a RB.  It would be very obvious what we were doing when either was on the field, and we know how Dirk loves to tip his hat based on personnel.  Gibson has 33 total carries as a RB, while Dillon has 21 totals receptions, aka if we fall behind in a game, Dillon is taken completely out of the game.

Unless we are taking these one dimensional backs in the 5th+ rounds, I’ll pass

1) did quite.well in.2012 with the same OC and VERY similar back in Turner.

2) no clue what value Dillon has as a receiver. BC qbs threw for all of 2,200 yds and averaged a 54% completion rate.

55 minutes ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

1) did quite.well in.2012 with the same OC and VERY similar back in Turner.

2) no clue what value Dillon has as a receiver. BC qbs threw for all of 2,200 yds and averaged a 54% completion rate.

We were 30th in rushing DVOA in 2012.