Personal favorite TE in the draft class - Dalton Keene

Didn't realize he even declared until I saw him at the combine today. Dude is going to be an absolute steal for some team. 

This TE class has been much maligned, and I think that's fair. But there are some guys who can contribute right away and develop into solid starters, and this is one of my draft crushes that I lowkey think can be the next superstar TE if he gets with a playcaller that knows how to use him properly. 

Meet Dalton Keene.

You like PFF? They love him. You love team captains? He checks that box. You an athletics nerd? Well, he apparently had the best combine of the tight ends there.

dalton-keene-ras-20201-1.png

How does he play? The highlight vids don't show it best imho, and better ones will come out later, but I did love this lil screen pass:

A full highlight vid:

And to show off his blocking, since highlight videos don't - here ya go. Drops his head sometimes, but Kittle had that issue coming out too. He gives a ton of effort and moves dudes. That's what I consider most important. How often do you see TEs pancake dudes?

Anyway - that's one of my draft crushes. Barely got opps catching the ball in VT's offense but he made the most of them. Most places have him going in the 6th or 7th but I imagine that'll change soon.

1 hour ago, VTCrunkler said:

His nickname was Rambo. I would have loved for him to stay another year but evidently he got advice to gopro. Good hands out of the backfield and he was actually used as a runner (he should stick to TE). Good character and work ethic. 5th or 6th round. 

Any insight as an alum why the Hokies didn't use him as a receiver more? I get that he's a really good blocker, but he made some great catches away from his body and his RAC ability was very RB-esque. Never made sense to me outside of being a schematic thing. He was a breakout candidate to me next year.

3 hours ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Any insight as an alum why the Hokies didn't use him as a receiver more? I get that he's a really good blocker, but he made some great catches away from his body and his RAC ability was very RB-esque. Never made sense to me outside of being a schematic thing. He was a breakout candidate to me next year.

Oh I have insight. It’s the play calling. What you saw were the highlights. Our play caller was not terrible and did fall good plays but we just couldn’t execute on a very high level overall as an offense.   this was especially when we had Ryan Willis (from KU football) at qb who was hot and cold. Then we made a switch to Hendon Hooker at qb and he was way more consistent.  We would score at will and put up 30 but fail in the last drive in our losses. Sound familiar?  I’m fair was we almost beat ND at ND this year. 

As for DK he was a Swiss Army knife. Used at RB and at blocking. And we had several good targets at wr who were first priority on the passing game. Sound familiar?  
There was another TE on the roster, James Mitchell, who was actually a better receiver. May have contributed to the move. 

bottom line was dk was talented and they tried to use him all over the field and as a blocker. So he didn’t really get focused on in the pass game. But he did make the play when called upon. And in some cases broke tackles. And we like guys who can break tackles. 

20 minutes ago, athell said:

How Keene are you on him @Francis York Morgan?

You're grounded.

1 hour ago, VTCrunkler said:

Oh I have insight. It’s the play calling. What you saw were the highlights. Our play caller was not terrible and did fall good plays but we just couldn’t execute on a very high level overall as an offense.   this was especially when we had Ryan Willis (from KU football) at qb who was hot and cold. Then we made a switch to Hendon Hooker at qb and he was way more consistent.  We would score at will and put up 30 but fail in the last drive in our losses. Sound familiar?  I’m fair was we almost beat ND at ND this year. 

As for DK he was a Swiss Army knife. Used at RB and at blocking. And we had several good targets at wr who were first priority on the passing game. Sound familiar?  
There was another TE on the roster, James Mitchell, who was actually a better receiver. May have contributed to the move. 

bottom line was dk was talented and they tried to use him all over the field and as a blocker. So he didn’t really get focused on in the pass game. But he did make the play when called upon. And in some cases broke tackles. And we like guys who can break tackles. 

Makes sense that it was playcalling. And I watched several full games, so there's that - just blew my mind that he would go like, 50 plays without touching the ball when he made good things happen so frequently.

1 hour ago, Francis York Morgan said:

You're grounded.

Makes sense that it was playcalling. And I watched several full games, so there's that - just blew my mind that he would go like, 50 plays without touching the ball when he made good things happen so frequently.

Or how about running jet sweeps ad nauseam on the goal line?  

3 hours ago, Clark Kent™ said:

He is no Eric Saubert is he gaz? :lol::lol::lol:

Whatever happened to your boy that you loved soooo much? :bang:

I realized he was dumb as a brick, that was the underlying problem I was unaware of. 

He had all the athletic ability in the world and played all world in the spread offense in college. But when asked to process more information than running a go route, such as adjusting his route based on the defensive alignment or coverage, he struggled. 

3 hours ago, gazoo said:

Looks real good. Very athletic and quick. Doesnt take him long to hit full stride. Catches the ball away from his body like the good ones do. Does he have the smarts to play the position?  

Impossible to say without talking to him myself, but he got good grades, was a team captain, and he interviews well.