Mock Offseason

autigerfan

Falcon’s Mock Offseason

Restructures- Matt Ryan, Grady Jarrett, Jake Matthews

The Falcons are in salary cap purgatory not because of free agency binges but because they have drafted well and made it a habit of re-signing their own.  It makes sense that they would look to these core players to help create some additional cap space for augmenting their roster after a disappointing season.

Cap Casualties

Devonta Freeman – I have been the biggest Freeman fan since he took over as the starter during the 2015 season.  At his best, he was the toughest runner in the NFL pound for pound.  Concussions and other nagging injuries have taken their toll however and I don’t think the team can carry him into next year as his presence will just impede a needed youth movement at the position. 

Luke Stocker – This guy has been nothing but mediocre throughout his career.  He can likely be replaced by an UDFA or veteran minimum signing. 

Ty Sambrailo – Re-signed to compete for the starting job at RT, Ty now is a luxury as a swing tackle at his cap figure. 

Matt Schaub – Schaub had a nice run as a fill-in for Matt last season but let’s be honest that the season is over if #2 misses significant time.  I wouldn’t be opposed to brining him back at the minimum but his current cap charge is too much considering our needs.

Let Walk

Austin Hooper – It pains me to do this as quality TE’s like Hoop don’t grow on trees and we struggled to replace that presence on the roster after Gonzo retired.  I just think Hooper is going to outprice what Atlanta can spend at the position.  He is likely to get $10M+ which we rightly can’t afford.

Vic Beasley – Somewhat anti-climactic but it is hard to imagine Beasley getting anywhere near the $12M he was paid last year as a FA.  Perhaps he can get his career on track with a change of scenery. 

Devondre Campbell – Campbell rebounded after a poor first have to finish with a career year in terms of tackles.  There just isn’t enough money to go around for everyone.

Tyeler Davison – Davison actually had a solid season but Atlanta doesn’t have the cap flexibility to offer him the multi-year deal he will likely be looking for. 

Jack Crawford – Crawford has had his ups and downs during his Atlanta career but last year was mostly down. 

Kemal Ishmael – Ishmael has provided versatility and quality play which is what you expect for a backup but now it may be time for a youth movement in the secondary. 

Keith Smith – He was actually a good contributor on offense and special teams but I doubt we will prioritize spending much at this position. 

Wes Schweitzer – Wes has quietly developed in to a competent NFL lineman.  I actually wouldn’t mind him being re-signed I just don’t think it is in the cards as we can’t really move on from either Carpenter or Brown at the position. 

Matt Bosher – Since his sophomore season, Bosher has been a quality NFL punter.  Too bad the Falcons have greater needs than to invest much at the position. 

Re-sign

Blidi Wreh-Wilson – Perhaps Wreh-Wilson is a late bloomer but he had a career renaissance as a 2nd half starter for the Falcons last year. 

Adrian Clayborn – While he is no longer an every down player on the edge, Clayborn can still get consistent pressure if his snaps are limited.  We should be able to keep him on a 1 or 2 year pact.

Free Agency

Shaq Lawson – The Falcons seemed to be very interested in him during the 2016 draft but opted for safety help instead with Keanu Neal.  He seems to be an under the radar talent in this free agency crop and may have just fallen victim to the coaching change in Buffalo after he was drafted. 

Damon “Snacks” Harrison – After a disappointing tour in Detroit, I think Harrison can be had for a 1 year prove it type contract.  Would be a nice add alongside Jarrett at DT.

Jordan Howard – The Falcons have lacked a between the tackles runner since Michael Turner’s last season in 2012.  Given Howard’s limitations in the passing game, I don’t think he will break the bank. 

Trade

The Falcons trade their 5th round pick (#140 overall) to the Ravens for TE Hayden Hurst.  The Falcons were connected with Hurst coming out of the 2018 draft.  Probably a reach as the 25th overall selection, but after a couple of years in the league he could be poised for a breakout catching passes from Matt Ryan.

Draft

1st Round Pick 16 – Jeff Okudah, CB Ohio State.  After a run on tackles in the 1st round Okudah falls in our laps.  We would now have an embarrassment of riches at CB and some potential trade bait. 

2nd Round Pick 15- D’Andre Swift, RB Georgia.  The Falcons are hoping he is the next great runningback from UGA. 

2nd Round Pick 23 – Tyler Biadasz, C Wisconsin.  The Rimington Trophy winner could compete at LG while being groomed to take over for Alex Mack eventually. 

3rd Round Pick 14 – Patrick Queen, LB LSU.  Best value on the board and the Falcons will need to rebuild their LB depth after losing Campbell in Free Agency.

4th Round  Pick 13 – J.R. Reed, DB Georgia.  Has the length to play FS and CB.  Offers versatility for the secondary. 

5th Round – Traded to Baltimore.

7th Round – Harrison Bryant, TE FAU.  Best player available. 

The fact that your 1st 4 picks are all expected to be drafted highly possible in the 1st round makes it pretty hard to believe this can happen my friend.  1 or 2 of them might fall to our 2nd round pick but we would need to get lucky a bit for that to happen.  I do like the layout and style you did on the mock as it was easy to read and understand everything in what you was trying to do.   I think we let walk a few to many people with wes and davison being the main 2 as they were productive and helpful.  While actually downgrading the DT from Davison to Snacks which im not for doing at all.  I want to keep Davison and still take  DT and DE early in the draft.   I actually do love the Hurst pickup in the 5th round trade if we can pull it off as i think he is a better TE potential guy than the guys in this draft and is a cheap vet for a few years to add which is the type of TE i want added for around an acceptable spot i want a TE taken if we do take 1.

18 hours ago, VTCrunkler said:

I like this write up. It’s different. I have to ask, did you do this?  It’s that good. I don’t think BAL would give up Tayden for a 5th but I like the thought process. I especially like Queen. 

Thanks.  This is my work.  I considered adjusting the Hurst trade to a 4th but decided Baltimore may bite given Hurst's age, injury history and current cap charge. The draft was a mock I did in Fanspeak.  Queen fell into my lap and I couldn't pass him up.

1 minute ago, autigerfan said:

Thanks.  This is my work.  I considered adjusting the Hurst trade to a 4th but decided Baltimore may bite given Hurst's age, injury history and current cap charge. The draft was a mock I did in Fanspeak.  Queen fell into my lap and I couldn't pass him up.

Good work. After watching the playoffs I was thinking of Queen as a second rounder. In fact all those LSU defenders probably jumped a round. And j Okudah played himself into a top 5 overall pick.  Talk about shining on a big stage. 

18 hours ago, Ovie_Lover said:

**** no to Damon. Easily one of my favorite players before but hes done. I mean DONE now. He fell off hard.

Hurst is already 26 and you get him for 2 years before having to pay him. Just draft a guy.

I think Damon is worth the risk on a prove it deal.  We should be in win now mode and I think this offseason gives us the injection of talent to improve our roster this year without sacrificing our future.

16 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

The fact that your 1st 4 picks are all expected to be drafted highly possible in the 1st round makes it pretty hard to believe this can happen my friend.  1 or 2 of them might fall to our 2nd round pick but we would need to get lucky a bit for that to happen.  I do like the layout and style you did on the mock as it was easy to read and understand everything in what you was trying to do.   I think we let walk a few to many people with wes and davison being the main 2 as they were productive and helpful.  While actually downgrading the DT from Davison to Snacks which im not for doing at all.  I want to keep Davison and still take  DT and DE early in the draft.   I actually do love the Hurst pickup in the 5th round trade if we can pull it off as i think he is a better TE potential guy than the guys in this draft and is a cheap vet for a few years to add which is the type of TE i want added for around an acceptable spot i want a TE taken if we do take 1.

My thoughts exactly on Hurst. Drafting another tight end means we likely see no dividends from the pick until year 3.  I like Davison and Schweitzer but they are young and will likely be looking to cash in even if they arent household names.  

28 minutes ago, autigerfan said:

I think Damon is worth the risk on a prove it deal.  We should be in win now mode and I think this offseason gives us the injection of talent to improve our roster this year without sacrificing our future.

Damon isn't a risk, hes done. He isnt going to magically get younger.