I know it's hard to proclaim him with that status, but my question is, does he get consideration? His resume is impressive, but his knock is that he's not exciting, he runs more than fights, and he ducked opponents in their prime.

My IMO, he was/is one of the most skilled boxers I've ever seen, and an argument can be made for G.O.A.T status, but I can understand if others don't feel that way. Would like to see other opinions abut his place in history and his legacy. 

17 minutes ago, meezy0236 said:

I know it's hard to proclaim him with that status, but my question is, does he get consideration? His resume is impressive, but his knock is that he's not exciting, he runs more than fights, and he ducked opponents in their prime.

My IMO, he was/is one of the most skilled boxers I've ever seen, and an argument can be made for G.O.A.T status, but I can understand if others don't feel that way. Would like to see other opinions abut his place in history and his legacy. 

I think Sugar Ray Leonard at 159 lbs is a much better version of Mayweather Jr.   Mayweather Jr is a top 15 fighter All Time.  But at 210 lbs Cassius Clay was faster with his hands and fists.  

Mt Rushmore IMO

1.  Clay/Ali in 1967

2. Sugar Ray Robinson

3.  Prime Roy Jones Jr 

4.  Jack Johnson for sheer dominance

48 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I think Sugar Ray Leonard at 159 lbs is a much better version of Mayweather Jr.   Mayweather Jr is a top 15 fighter All Time.  But at 210 lbs Cassius Clay was faster with his hands and fists.  

Mt Rushmore IMO

1.  Clay/Ali in 1967

2. Sugar Ray Robinson

3.  Prime Roy Jones Jr 

4.  Jack Johnson for sheer dominance

I can go with this. The thing with Mayweather is, when you watch him box it doesn't look like he's doing anything spectacular, the dude is an absolute tactician in the ring, almost masterful at times. I look at the fight he had against Canelo Alvarez, and made him look like an amateur in the ring.

Andre Berto described how hard it was fighting him because whatever gameplan you have going in, he just takes you out of it.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/other-sports/news/andre-berto-floyd-mayweather-berto-vs-porter-showtime-boxing-analysis/uc25wujg4fzx1iqayo1w540bx

"It was frustrating," Berto told Sporting News. "We trained tremendously hard for that fight. It was something new. It was something different and awkward. Because what I learned about myself was that I was able to handle that whole circus and atmosphere that came with fighting Floyd. I was in great shape, great spirits and very confident. But then it got frustrating because all the hard work I put in and you come and fight the best. Every round felt like (laughs) almost kind of feel like your cheated. Because if you’re not able to work like you want to. Not able to test your endurance, power and your reflexes against this guy. He just slows it all the way down. It gets frustrating because I worked hard every day, tirelessly. I sparred hundreds of rounds with all of these different sparring partners with all different styles. And then fight time came and it was nothing like that.

5 hours ago, meezy0236 said:

All good fighters "run." Only idiots think that it's a good idea to just stand stationary or always go forward and trade punches. If that's what they want to see then they're looking for brawlers, not boxers.

That said, not the GOAT. He was the greatest of his era for sure, but I don't think he'd last a full 12 rounds against a Sugar Ray Leonard or Roy Jones Jr. if he dropped down in weight. Those guys were just as fast, if not faster than Mayweather, hard to hit, and hard hitters.

2 hours ago, Mr.11 said:

All good fighters "run." Only idiots think that it's a good idea to just stand stationary or always go forward and trade punches. If that's what they want to see then they're looking for brawlers, not boxers.

That said, not the GOAT. He was the greatest of his era for sure, but I don't think he'd last a full 12 rounds against a Sugar Ray Leonard or Roy Jones Jr. if he dropped down in weight. Those guys were just as fast, if not faster than Mayweather, hard to hit, and hard hitters.

Yep, and Sugar Ray's hand speed was totally unbelievable.

Those combos he could dish out with those hands.......oh....... my ........goodness