Jump to content

Flashback-Why didn’t we resign Patrick Kerney?


BirdGangATL
 Share

Recommended Posts

Was it because we didn’t have money to resign him?  2006 we acquired John Abraham, but both PK and Abe was hurt throughout the season, PK had a season ending pectoral injury.  That tandem alone would of boosted us as playoff contenders yearly, but we was robbed of the potential they both would of brought to the team.

 

Not only PK and Abe on that 2006 team, but we had the great Rod Coleman and big guy Grady Jackson, our d line is full of potential!  
 

We had athletic linebackers in Demorrio Williams, Michael Boley, and “Brookings” also, our dbs was ok with an aging Milloy and big mouth meangelo but still that Defense had we resign PK in 2007 would be a top 10 defense!

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know he tore his pec that year (I'll never forget the announcement because they said he "ruptured his pectoral muscle" and it sounded like the most brutal thing ever), we had him signed for another two and he opted out of his contract.  That was back when you could do 7 year deals, he opted out after 5 to sign a big deal with Seattle.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, jetpac said:

Pk had a relentless engine, but he was a product of Effort sacks. No real beat your man consistently type talent. In between mediocre years here he put up big numbers then went to SEA balled out for a year and followed it up with two forgettable campaigns. 

Tore his tricep in Seatle a nd couldnt recover. Pretty much same with Levitre

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well considering that he didnt do much outside his last 14 sack season after his release, it wasn't a bad loss. He followed that up with two 5 sack years before retiring.

HeII, Kroy Beirman got crucified for 5 sack seasons and he got paid chump change compared to Patrick's pay. It's better to lose a player a year early than a year late

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kearney wasn’t a FA, so it had nothing to do w re-signing him.

Kearney simply wanted out and screwed the Falcons. He opted out of his last two years of his contract, waiting until after the franchise tag deadline and chose to leave via FA and not negotiate w the Falcons. Only 2 days after opting out he signed w SEA...smelled like tampering...(SEA also tried to screw us in the Abe trade the year prior by jumping in and offering a first after NYJ agreed in principle to a trade for our 2nd round pick for Abe!)

not sure if he got butt hurt that he wasn’t gonna be “the guy” on the line since we traded for Abe or what. But we could have had the best DL in the NFL w Kearney, Abe, Coleman and Smith. The year he left for SEA he went on to lead the NFL in sacks I think too!

then McKay panicked and took JA98 eigth overall....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, UnrealfalcoN said:

Well considering that he didnt do much outside his last 14 sack season after his release, it wasn't a bad loss. He followed that up with two 5 sack years before retiring.

HeII, Kroy Beirman got crucified for 5 yard seasons and he got paid chump change compared to Patrick's pay. It's better to lose a player a year early than a year late

Vic Beasley gets killed here for 8 sacks and then those same fans turn around and beg for Bruce Irvin.

"Anything else is always something better"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Rings said:

I know he tore his pec that year (I'll never forget the announcement because they said he "ruptured his pectoral muscle" and it sounded like the most brutal thing ever), we had him signed for another two and he opted out of his contract.  That was back when you could do 7 year deals, he opted out after 5 to sign a big deal with Seattle.

Ahh, I didn’t know, all I remember was we had Pk and Abe for that year but both was injured throughout the season.  So PK was done with us smh

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, 1989Fan said:

Kearney wasn’t a FA, so it had nothing to do w re-signing him.

Kearney simply wanted out and screwed the Falcons. He opted out of his last two years of his contract, waiting until after the franchise tag deadline and chose to leave via FA and not negotiate w the Falcons. Only 2 days after opting out he signed w SEA...smelled like tampering...(SEA also tried to screw us in the Abe trade the year prior by jumping in and offering a first after NYJ agreed in principle to a trade for our 2nd round pick for Abe!)

not sure if he got butt hurt that he wasn’t gonna be “the guy” on the line since we traded for Abe or what. But we could have had the best DL in the NFL w Kearney, Abe, Coleman and Smith. The year he left for SEA he went on to lead the NFL in sacks I think too!

then McKay panicked and took JA98 eigth overall....

My theory was that he saw the writing on the wall with Petrino and got out while he could.

Cant blame him at all.  He got one more big payday that set him up for life and his career was over a few years after that.

Great move by him on several counts.

Otherwise he could have wasted that year with Petrino and then his career would have probably been over and no big payday.

Yeah he definitely made the right move.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

My theory was that he saw the writing on the wall with Petrino and got out while he could.

Cant blame him at all.  He got one more big payday that set him up for life and his career was over a few years after that.

Great move by him on several counts.

Otherwise he could have wasted that year with Petrino and then his career would have probably been over and no big payday.

Yeah he definitely made the right move.

Yep worked out for him. Gotta look out for you...but it did screw the Falcons, especially since it led to them taking Anderson 8th overall. I still think had Adrian Peterson fell one more pick he would have been a Falcon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, BirdGangATL said:

Ahh, I didn’t know, all I remember was we had Pk and Abe for that year but both was injured throughout the season.  So PK was done with us smh

He was grossly underpaid if you look at the contract he had vs what he got in Seattle.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Atl Falcon said:

TD hasn’t found a pass rush since PK and JA we’re here unless Bs one fluke season he stumbled into. But times are changing this year /pur 

TD wasn't around for them and had nothing to do with either of them.

TD has never signed or drafted a multi year successfull DE since being GM here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MAD597 said:

TD wasn't around for them and had nothing to do with either of them.

TD has never signed or drafted a multi year successfull DE since being GM here.

TD is allergic to pass rushers....but some folks seems to think it’s all about DQ or hang on let’s go back many yrs to Mike Smith. TD has zero chance of sniffing out a pass rusher. TROFFED...bring it if you can

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...