Quinn gives in depth update on Neal

ya_boi_j

INDIANAPOLIS – Falcons head coach Dan Quinn provided an update on former first-round draft pick Keanu Neal and where he is in his rehab progression.

"Keke is doing good," Quinn said. "He's exactly where he should be. We're excited for him, he's making great progress."

Neal, 24, tore his Achilles in Week 3 of Atlanta's 2019 season and missed the remainder of the year.

The hard-hitting safety plays an instrumental role in the Falcons' defense and his presence was sorely missed. Neal has now spent the last two seasons on injured reserve as he tore his ACL in 2018 and missed the entire season.

Prior to suffering two significant injuries, Neal was named to the Pro Bowl following the 2017 season where he registered 116 tackles. Neal also earned a spot on the PFWA All-Rookie team in 2016 after recording 106 tackles in his first season in the NFL.

Without Neal in the lineup, Quinn moved Ricardo Allen to strong safety and Damontae Kazee filled the starting role at free safety.

Kazee has recorded 10 interceptions over the last two seasons and has become an important piece in Atlanta's secondary. Allen, the defensive team captain, also has a significant role as one of the Falcons' best communicators.

As for how the rotation at the safety position will work with Neal, Kazee and Allen excepted to be healthy for the upcoming season, Quinn says he and his coaching staff – specifically defensive coordinator Raheem Morris – will find ways to feature all three players.

"Those are really things we'll make sure we're doing a very good job featuring the guys in the things they do best. Having more than enough good players is way better than the alternative. Between myself, Raheem and Jeff Ulbrich, we'll have more than enough ways to feature them."

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/dan-quinn-says-keanu-neal-exactly-where-he-should-be-in-rehab

5 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

"Having more than enough good players is way better than the alternative."

Quinn, bruh...this IS the alternative. We have a JAG, a barely above JAG, and a good player who keeps getting injured so he looked like a JAG. Guess we aren't going safety this draft after all

5 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Quinn, bruh...this IS the alternative. We have a JAG, a barely above JAG, and a good player who keeps getting injured so he looked like a JAG. Guess we aren't going safety this draft after all

Crossing Delpit off my draft wish board.  Guess it’s gonna be Fuller or we reach on edge...or even worse trade both 2nd round picks for Chaisson

10 minutes ago, Cheyakita said:

Some of you would be really easy to sell to believing everything you read ahead of the draft. 

I believe Quinn is pretty transparent.  A week before last years draft I believe he 100% believed this statement in the article below.....but TD/Pioli pulled rank.

Dan Quinn reveals Falcons’ position needs

By JAMES PARKS  Apr 24, 2019

The Atlanta Falcons have what is arguably their most talented roster right now, but the team is hoping to address a few areas of relative weakness in the NFL Draft this year.

Head coach Dan Quinn is hoping that the Falcons will be able to add some important depth players at positions which last season were subject to starters being out with injuries.

Going forward, he believes the team is in need of three positions right now, in particular: defensive end, defensive tackle, and defensive back.

The one common theme among those needs: defense.

“We are definitely going to add to that group,” Quinn told the Falcons website.

10 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I believe Quinn is pretty transparent.  A week before last years draft I believe he 100% believed this statement in the article below.....but TD/Pioli pulled rank.

The Atlanta Falcons have what is arguably their most talented roster right now, but the team is hoping to address a few areas of relative weakness in the NFL Draft this year.

Head coach Dan Quinn is hoping that the Falcons will be able to add some important depth players at positions which last season were subject to starters being out with injuries.

Going forward, he believes the team is in need of three positions right now, in particular: defensive end, defensive tackle, and defensive back.

Nah, they didn't have any rank. Nor would DQ who is charge of the roster let them do that, nor would it create a good working relationship. 

Unless you have more to go on, i don't buy that.

1 hour ago, E. T. said:

To me, the injuries Neal has suffered in back to back seasons is even more reason to go Safety within the first 2 picks. I honestly would not put it past we double dip pick 1 and 2 in the secondary. CB, and safety.

Would not hurt my feelings at all to see us do something like this:

R1P16: Xavier McKinney - S (Alabama)
R2P47: Trevon Diggs - CB (Alabama)
R2P55: Jonathan Greenard - EDGE (Florida)
R3P78: Malik Harrison - LB (Ohio State)
R4P109: Jared Pinkney - TE (Vanderbilt)
R5P139: Benito Jones - DT (Ole Miss)
R7P205: AJ Dillon - RB (Boston College)

27 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

The key word is you saying “I believe” they pulled rank, so you can’t really say for sure. Everything is a smokescreen pre draft. As much as people would like to say otherwise Dan Quinn isn’t dumb enough to tip our hand about draft needs to allow teams to move around us to get the players we are targeting and that includes giving out our plans for the upcoming season.

19 minutes ago, Dukeduke211 said:

Nah, they didn't have any rank. Nor would DQ who is charge of the roster let them do that, nor would it create a good working relationship. 

Unless you have more to go on, i don't buy that.

Quinn has final day of 53 man roster.  Pioli was tasked with scouting and leading the draft while TD handled FA. Ultimately, TD can pull rank on anyone not named Blank

9 minutes ago, Cheyakita said:

The key word is you saying “I believe” they pulled rank, so you can’t really say for sure. Everything is a smokescreen pre draft. As much as people would like to say otherwise Dan Quinn isn’t dumb enough to tip our hand about draft needs to allow teams to move around us to get the players we are targeting and that includes giving out our plans for the upcoming season.

Very true.  An educated guess.  Just happens to be what I believe

When Lindstrom was picked:

On how he found out about the pick:
“Thomas Dimitroff, Coach (Dan) Quinn, and Mr. (Arthur) Blank called me over the phone when the 13th pick was in. I was just waiting and just, just a dream come true. It's been a really special night.”

When McGary was picked:
McGary got the call from Atlanta’s assistant GM, Scott Pioli, at 8:40 p.m. informing him of that they were trading up to draft him. He then spoke to coach Dan Quinn and team owner Arthur Blank.

I always felt McGary was a Pioli pick

12 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Very true.  An educated guess.  Just happens to be what I believe

When Lindstrom was picked:

On how he found out about the pick:
“Thomas Dimitroff, Coach (Dan) Quinn, and Mr. (Arthur) Blank called me over the phone when the 13th pick was in. I was just waiting and just, just a dream come true. It's been a really special night.”

When McGary was picked:
McGary got the call from Atlanta’s assistant GM, Scott Pioli, at 8:40 p.m. informing him of that they were trading up to draft him. He then spoke to coach Dan Quinn and team owner Arthur Blank.

I always felt McGary was a Pioli pick

Heck you could be right but we’ll never really know. I honestly felt like we targeted Ed Oliver and had to change our direction but that would be speculation on my part...lol

53 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Quinn has final day of 53 man roster.  Pioli was tasked with scouting and leading the draft while TD handled FA. Ultimately, TD can pull rank on anyone not named Blank

So Dq cooks and TD and Pioli did the shopping?

Highly doubtful imo

I believe its a conglomerate effort all through the process. Otherwise they would be dysfunctional. Imo, maybe this is why Pioli skipped town because he had no pull.

1 minute ago, Dukeduke211 said:

So Dq cooks and TD and Pioli did the shopping?

Highly doubtful imo

I believe its a conglomerate effort all through the process. Otherwise they would be dysfunctional. Imo, maybe this is why Pioli skipped town because he had no pull.

It’s definitely a team effort.  Here is what Blank said:

"To be specific, Thomas, as a general manager, will have final authority over free agents and draft picks, Scott [Pioli] now has responsibility for running free agency and the draft,'' Blank said. "Dan will have final authority over the 53- and 46-man rosters and practice squad.''

Just now, FalconsIn2012 said:

It’s definitely a team effort.  Here is what Blank said:

"To be specific, Thomas, as a general manager, will have final authority over free agents and draft picks, Scott [Pioli] now has responsibility for running free agency and the draft,'' Blank said. "Dan will have final authority over the 53- and 46-man rosters and practice squad.''

Political talk imo. Thanks for the quote, but i dont really buy it. 

Quinn isnt sitting there on his hands waiting to see the talent td gets for him imo.

I am pretty sure td isnt going to brimg someone on board that DQ doesn't want. 

4 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

Those are really things we'll make sure we're doing a very good job featuring the guys in the things they do best. Having more than enough good players is way better than the alternative.

Does this annoy the heck out of anyone else?

Shut up DQ, why don’t you just quit the bs talk about featuring players bro?

When we see other team’s QB’s featuring themselves on their arses, then we’ll know we’ve accomplished something.  
So frustrating!

32 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

If we depend on him to be our long term starting SS we are idiots. I know the front office is full of idiots so I'm betting that is the plan.

If he can come back in 2020 and have a solid season....why couldn’t he be our long term starting option at Safety? I know he has had 2 HUGE injuries but it’s obvious he is going to be here in 2020, if it’s successful why not 2021 and beyond.

4 minutes ago, AxManBigFan said:

If he can come back in 2020 and have a solid season....why couldn’t he be our long term starting option at Safety? I know he has had 2 HUGE injuries but it’s obvious he is going to be here in 2020, if it’s successful why not 2021 and beyond.

How often does a player at a position that requires some type of speed have 2 season ending leg injuries in a row and come back to be a long term starter for a team?

This year we need to draft a SS in the first 4 rounds and probably sign a FA SS that is good enough to start.

Neal is injury prone and may never be the same player he was after not being on the field for so long.

No way we should depend on him long term.

1 hour ago, MAD597 said:

How often does a player at a position that requires some type of speed have 2 season ending leg injuries in a row and come back to be a long term starter for a team?

This year we need to draft a SS in the first 4 rounds and probably sign a FA SS that is good enough to start.

Neal is injury prone and may never be the same player he was after not being on the field for so long.

No way we should depend on him long term.

I agree that we should take a mid round safety. 3-4 round who can come in and play. But I’m all for giving Neal his shot this year. Have depth unlike the past. Bring back Wilcox or some decent veteran presence (tired of ol Ishmael) As he just does not get the job done, and draft a player capable of coming and producing. And I think we can be ok.