Quinn building a team

⚡Slumerican⚡

Just curious, how much do you think the immovable players we have on the team has handicapped Quinn actually building the team that in his mind he wants? Not going to name any names, but most everyone is familiar who Blank has branded Falcons for life and Quinn is stuck with.. But would honestly like to know if Quinn had a blank sheet of paper could he build a better team than the pieces hes stuck or forced to work with 

10 minutes ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Just curious, how much do you think the immovable players we have on the team has handicapped Quinn actually building the team that in his mind he wants? Not going to name any names, but most everyone is familiar who Blank has branded Falcons for life and Quinn is stuck with.. But would honestly like to know if Quinn had a blank sheet of paper could he build a better team than the pieces hes stuck or forced to work with 

I think the talent is fine. Injuries and coaching have been an issue. Mostly offensive coordinator. The defensive coaching has been okay except weeks 1-8 

I remember Julio being branded a Falcon for life and that hasn't hindered us. The  long term contracts of Debo, Grady and Matt are also smart and hasn't hindered us. 

I agree that Blank needs to stop the Falcons for life "mafia" mentality. Yes, the family mantra is cool and all but it's also a business. Whether you agree or not, we may not be able to afford Hooper this offseason, mostly because of the big contracts. 

Coaching, lack of discipline, and inconsistency have been the biggest issues. Blank said inconsistency is his biggest gripe with this team. It's been Quinn's biggest problem since his tenure as well. 

I think if anything Quinn’s reluctance to get rid of players has hurt us. Beasley is the classic example where the right move was to get rid of him but Quinn thought he could fix him. Being a NFL coach and not getting attached to players is tough. Anyone who has had to fire someone knows what it is like.

6 minutes ago, Jpizzle said:

I feel like this kinda speaks for itself. :lol:

I don't know what was going on. Dan Quinn did well when he took over in 2016 and did well in Seattle. That was the worst defense I've seen the Falcons play. Worse than when June Jones was here.

25 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

I think the talent is fine. Injuries and coaching have been an issue. Mostly offensive coordinator. The defensive coaching has been okay except weeks 1-8 

I hope and believe Dirk wasnt Quinns ideal oc.. But its who we have.. Im beginning to see maybe Blank is more stubborn than J Jones when it comes to personal.. At least Jones has a desire to win over having players in his family for life 

Just now, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

I hope and believe Dirk wasnt Quinns ideal oc.. But its who we have.. Im beginning to see maybe Blank is more stubborn than J Jones when it comes to personal.. At least Jones has a desire to win over having players in his family for life 

They wanted Gary Kubiak but Elway blocked it. So typical Falcons luck we choose Koetter (who to be fair did get us to the 2012 NFC championship game), and Kubiak gets released by the Broncos the next day. I wanted Kubiak badly.

9 minutes ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Yeah OP is worse than CNN for agenda driven content

Not really man, I just try to look at everything in a neutral light.. Nothing wrong with being a homer.. Id almost bet you i have more Ryan collectibles than you.. But some things out of the box could make this team much better.. And hey, who knows, we may even win a Superbowl.. 

@ATLSlobberKnockers if we made some changes in personal.. Like losing a few "falcons for lifers" that guaranteed us to win a Superbowl.. Would you be up for it?? Or would you be happier keeping our sacred cows and continue being mediocre?? Its a hypothetical question, but would honestly like to know how you feel about it.. Would you be willing to do whatever it took to win a championship? 

1 minute ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Not really man, I just try to look at everything in a neutral light.. Nothing wrong with being a homer.. Id almost bet you i have more Ryan collectibles than you.. But some things out of the box could make this team much better.. And hey, who knows, we may even win a Superbowl.. 

@ATLSlobberKnockers if we made some changes in personal.. Like losing a few "falcons for lifers" that guaranteed us to win a Superbowl.. Would you be up for it?? Or would you be happier keeping our sacred cows and continue being mediocre?? Its a hypothetical question, but would honestly like to know how you feel about it.. Would you be willing to do whatever it took to win a championship? 

Of course I would.  But lets not pretend you dont push a certain narrative around here friend.

I think Quinn has had complete control of the roster. I believe Dimitroff has been a complete facilitator to Quinn's needs, and that Quinn is not the talent evaluator that we all hoped he would be. I truly believe that Quinn has been given every opportunity to succeed and has failed. This year will be it for Quinn and TD; no playoffs and playoff success will mean the end of this regime, and it very well should be that.

1 minute ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Of course I would.  But lets not pretend you dont push a certain narrative around here friend.

I just dont believe Ryan can get us there the way the team in currently built.. And I dont believe Ryan has enough time to go through a rebuild.. So thats where im at.. Just afraid its gonna be much of the same at Ryan will run out of good years before we can build the team around him he needs to get a championship.. Ryan will definitely start falling off soon, and we dont have to pieces around him to make up for that.. Jmo

7 minutes ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

I just dont believe Ryan can get us there the way the team in currently built.. And I dont believe Ryan has enough time to go through a rebuild.. So thats where im at.. Just afraid its gonna be much of the same at Ryan will run out of good years before we can build the team around him he needs to get a championship.. Ryan will definitely start falling off soon, and we dont have to pieces around him to make up for that.. Jmo

This team was talented enough to go 6-2 and beat two 13-3 teams at their place.  Oh yeah Ryan was the QB that leads them too.  If it wasn’t for coaching or lack there of they would have made the playoff and had as good of a chance as any team to make it to the SB.  Ryan contract, just like most other top tier QB in the game, has yet to hinder the Falcons from putting together a playoff caliber team.  Only TD and DQ misjudgment of talents and injuries could do that.

2 hours ago, The Don™ said:

I remember Julio being branded a Falcon for life and that hasn't hindered us. The  long term contracts of Debo, Grady and Matt are also smart and hasn't hindered us. 

I agree that Blank needs to stop the Falcons for life "mafia" mentality. Yes, the family mantra is cool and all but it's also a business. Whether you agree or not, we may not be able to afford Hooper this offseason, mostly because of the big contracts. 

Coaching, lack of discipline, and inconsistency have been the biggest issues. Blank said inconsistency is his biggest gripe with this team. It's been Quinn's biggest problem since his tenure as well. 

We might not be able to afford Hooper, but we did develop him as well.  He also has the advantage of having Julio and Ridley on his team so he is never really matched up as a number 1 target and there was a stat that shows Hooper is not really that good at beating single coverage, but most of his yards and production have come from zone defense and him sitting in a spot and waiting for Ryan to get him the ball.

I think that we can move on from him and still find production from the TE spot.  Now, I know before him we had a roller coaster of inconsistency after Gonzo, but I have faith that TEs these days are better suited than they have been since 2015. 

I feel that if we get the Oline taken care of, and establish a more consistent running game, it will open up more passing lanes, keep the defenses guessing, and allow more players to be successful no matter who is the TE,  Jones, Ridley, and whoever the Rb is will make it easier for a TE to get open almost any day of the week.

16 minutes ago, freefall said:

This team was talented enough to go 6-2 and beat two 13-3 teams at their place.  Oh yeah Ryan was the QB that leads them too.  If it wasn’t for coaching or lack there of they would have made the playoff and had as good of a chance as any team to make it to the SB.  Ryan contract, just like most other top tier QB in the game, has yet to hinder the Falcons from putting together a playoff caliber team.  Only TD and DQ misjudgment of talents and injuries could do that.

And thats what we have to hope on.. That what we saw the second half of the season can continue into 2020..but just for kicks lets assume we come out flat as we did the first half of 2019..what then?? Because facts are, with the same talent and personal we were the worst team in 2019 for the first 8 games.. Thats what worries me 

Coaching didn't make Ryan lead the league in interceptions during that period 

Edited by ⚡Slumerican⚡

6 hours ago, 4dabirds said:

I think Quinn has had complete control of the roster. I believe Dimitroff has been a complete facilitator to Quinn's needs, and that Quinn is not the talent evaluator that we all hoped he would be. I truly believe that Quinn has been given every opportunity to succeed and has failed. This year will be it for Quinn and TD; no playoffs and playoff success will mean the end of this regime, and it very well should be that.

Just a few seasons ago Quinn was known as a god talent evaluator in TAFT.  Funny how a couple 7-9 seasons changed that narrative. 

8 hours ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Quinn is the problem. You have to know how to be a Head Coach. I sense your hate for Matt Ryan lead you to creating this thread. 

14 hours ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

See this is where I think different.

The turn around with this much maligned defense says that.1st half and 2nd half you saw a Jekyll & Hyde act this too me is the issue.If the team didn’t have the talent there’s no way a defense that apparently is devoid of this ends up being one of the better in the league.

To me that all came down to coaching and best use of what we have.

Thats why this team has fumbled since 16 it’s the incorrect deployment and use of what we have.Its also employment of individuals who just shouldn’t have been hired that’s it more so than not having enough talent between the lines.

Falcons have had a team with enough talent to make the playoffs every year since 16 the core still here what’s changed the most.