UGA hires bama's S&C cochran to be an on the field coach.. One of the most respect coaches in the nation.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dude. The complete butt hurt a lot of Bama fans have with Kirby is hilarious. It’s so dumb. They didn’t have any problem whatsoever with the way he is when he was at Bama, but now that he’s at UGA he’

So that's a no on the talking without hyperbole then?

Lol.. who didn’t see this coming when this thread started?

Posted Images

3 hours ago, m2Falcons said:

The answer is in The Transfer Portal.

I don't think you understand my question. I know kids can transfer and follow him. If I was the HC, I'd ask the leaving coach to submit in writing what he's going to say to the players ahead of time. Upon agreement, he will also sign a document stating that under penalty of law, he will not deviate from that speech. Trouble? Sure, but not for Bama. If CSC truly wanted to say farewell, he'd have no problem with such a proposal.

3 minutes ago, AutumnEffect said:

I don't think you understand my question. I know kids can transfer and follow him. If I was the HC, I'd ask the leaving coach to submit in writing what he's going to say to the players ahead of time. Upon agreement, he will also sign a document stating that under penalty of law, he will not deviate from that speech. Trouble? Sure, but not for Bama. If CSC truly wanted to say farewell, he'd have no problem with such a proposal.

In fact, the more I think of this, the more it makes sense that this is the minimum courtesy I should offer my coaches if I'm HC.

The assistant was courteous enough to submit their resignation to me before speaking to the players, so why should I not be professional in return?

37 minutes ago, AutumnEffect said:

Just be in the room with him and if he says "come with me!" End it. 

I Believe:

1) He was ready to be more than an SC coach and wasn't going to see that at Bama

2) The 13 year grind at Bama dealing with Saban was just all he could handle

Seems that he was tired and frustrated and was at the furthest he would ever achieve at Bama.

Was time to move on and explore his options of furthering himself while he is still young enough to do so and an opportunity presented itself with an old friend.

3 hours ago, 95Dawg said:

For the people that won't click the link, lets snip some pertinent to UGA bits from the article:

After more than a decade working under Nick Saban at Alabama, Scott Cochran was frustrated and ready to do something different to the point he willingly took a pay cut to make it happen

Regardless of what happened between Ole Miss and Cochran, it solidified in his mind it was time to move on. Cochran had weighed the pros and cons of the move and eventually became all-in on the idea of being an on-field coach at Ole Miss. When it didn’t happen, there was a diminished interest in returning to his role as Alabama’s strength and conditioning coach and an increased desire to find an on-field opportunity.

“He made his mind up, ‘I’m leaving, I’m done with the strength thing and dealing with Coach Saban,’" a source with knowledge of the situation said. “Once you do that, when the (Ole Miss) thing didn’t happen, when you go back, you find all the problems magnified.”

After the Ole Miss discussions became public, Saban called Cochran in for a meeting and asked whether he really wanted to make the switch to an on-field job. When Cochran said he did, Saban told him he wouldn’t be comfortable hiring him as an on-field assistant at that point in time, according to sources with knowledge of the situation. The advice from Saban was that if Cochran wanted to become a special teams coach, he should start attending Alabama’s special teams meetings and invest time into learning the intricacies of the position. Cochran left the conversation upset and convinced he wouldn’t be getting an on-field opportunity at Alabama given he believed he had already spent a lot of time around special teams.

It was part of growing friction between Saban and Cochran that seemed to come to a head around that point. Cochran was mentally ready to leave after the Ole Miss situation. Saban, meanwhile, had concerns about numbers and results from a strength and conditioning standpoint and wanted tweaks made to the program. Sources said Saban began “riding Cochran mercilessly in front of staff."

At this point, Cochran was even more determined to find an on-field opportunity elsewhere. Cochran pursued job opportunities with Michigan State and the New York Giants but neither worked out, per sources.

When Georgia lost special teams coach Scott Fountain to Arkansas, it opened up an attractive job to work for long-time friend Kirby Smart. The two had lost touch some over the years as the friendship took a hit when Cochran turned down an opportunity in 2015 to join Smart in Athens. But over the last year, Cochran worked to rebuild the relationship with the Georgia head coach. When he saw an opening, Cochran sold Smart hard on the benefits of hiring him as special teams coordinator despite his limited experience. It helped that Smart had already been thinking about the radical move when he heard about the discussions between Cochran and Ole Miss, according to sources.

Once he had Smart on board with the hire, Cochran met with Saban to inform him of his intention to leave Alabama last Monday. Saban quickly became resigned to the fact he couldn’t do anything to keep his trusted lieutenant when he realized Cochran had already made up his mind. Contrary to a narrative that’s begun to emerge in light of Cochran taking a pay cut to go to Georgia, Saban didn’t force Cochran out.

“Saban really wanting him out is so not true,” one source said. “At all.”

If I had one criticism of how Cochran comes off in that article it's this portion:

After the Ole Miss discussions became public, Saban called Cochran in for a meeting and asked whether he really wanted to make the switch to an on-field job. When Cochran said he did, Saban told him he wouldn’t be comfortable hiring him as an on-field assistant at that point in time, according to sources with knowledge of the situation. The advice from Saban was that if Cochran wanted to become a special teams coach, he should start attending Alabama’s special teams meetings and invest time into learning the intricacies of the position. Cochran left the conversation upset and convinced he wouldn’t be getting an on-field opportunity at Alabama given he believed he had already spent a lot of time around special teams.

I can understand if he truly has a fair amount of experience and time spent with their special teams planning, coaching, etc... But if he doesn't (it's been vaguely hinted that he helped run Scout ST, but that's not quite the same thing), this would be one of those situations where you've proven you're as good as you can in your current arena and you need to find ways to gain the knowledge/skill in the new area you want to develop. I can easily see some correlaries to colleagues who've wanted to move up or into different responsibilities because they outgrew their current role, but maybe felt a little too entitled and didn't actually go prepare for that next role. 

Hopefully, given the commentary we've seen so far, Cochran knows he needs to ensure he's got the necessary knowledge ASAP, because this isn't a great place for OTJ learning.

I thought it did, but I guess this never got posted over here from a few days ago. A very good but long read. Not gonna post the whole thing because it's long, and deserves a click anyway. So much good stuff packed in there. 

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/recruiting/scott-cochran-state-championship-coaches-from-alabama-what-he-will-bring-to-uga

DawgNation surveyed the opinions of three successful football coaches with state of Alabama roots on the matter. Alabama high school coaches were the choice because those were the men who spent the most time around Cochran since he arrived with Saban in 2007.

They simply know Cochran and what he is all about.

Here’s the panel:

• Josh Niblett, Hoover High head coach (State titles in 2004, 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017)
  • Jerry Hood, Leeds High head coach (led Clay-Chalkville to a state title in 2014)
  • Rush Propst, former head coach at Hoover High and Colquitt County (State titles in 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2014 and 2015)

Hood: “What Georgia is getting that most people don’t know is he probably has a whole lot of experience coaching from a film perspective and from a studying perspective. If he has been the strength and conditioning coach for the football team, then he knows how to get a group to do what they need to do. So the on-the-field coaching part will be fine.”

“He’s had a strong interest in that for some time. So that’s the number one thing that I think here. I think Georgia is going to be very surprised in how well-versed he is in special teams.”

Edited by RandomFan

After reading the al.com story, it's rather obvious that Cochran had developed issues with his situation under Saban at Alabama......and Kirby being at Georgia since December 2015 has absolutely nothing to do with that. Kirby provided a landing spot for Cochran and UGA had a need.......nothing more.....and Cochran was the one pursuing the position.

Cochran pursued jobs at Ole Miss, Michigan State and the New York Giants before landing the position in Athens, and took a pay cut in the process.

It's rather obvious now that Cochran was leaving Alabama at the first available opportunity.  It just happened that UGA and Kirby Smart had an available opening, but the primary reason Cochran is in Athens today is due to his deteriorating relationship with Saban....and the story makes it clear that's the only reason.

1 hour ago, ECDawg78 said:

After reading the al.com story, it's rather obvious that Cochran had developed issues with his situation under Saban at Alabama......and Kirby being at Georgia since December 2015 has absolutely nothing to do with that. Kirby provided a landing spot for Cochran and UGA had a need.......nothing more.....and Cochran was the one pursuing the position.

Cochran pursued jobs at Ole Miss, Michigan State and the New York Giants before landing the position in Athens, and took a pay cut in the process.

It's rather obvious now that Cochran was leaving Alabama at the first available opportunity.  It just happened that UGA and Kirby Smart had an available opening, but the primary reason Cochran is in Athens today is due to his deteriorating relationship with Saban....and the story makes it clear that's the only reason.

And I will add that he wanted an on the field coaching position and Saban wasn't ready to offer him that at this time.

Also, sometimes it is just time to move on, for both sides. Wish him well,  he served our program well.