UGA hires bama's S&C cochran to be an on the field coach.. One of the most respect coaches in the nation.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dude. The complete butt hurt a lot of Bama fans have with Kirby is hilarious. It’s so dumb. They didn’t have any problem whatsoever with the way he is when he was at Bama, but now that he’s at UGA he’

So that's a no on the talking without hyperbole then?

Lol.. who didn’t see this coming when this thread started?

Posted Images

Enjoy the tweets!

Shutdown Man@ShutdownMan
It sounds like Ryan Fowler & Drew DeArmond are in full panic mode on @Tide1009fm, in regards to Scott Cochran’s departure to Georgia. Ryan says they’re “shell-shocked”. Drew says the program is at a “crossroads

Will Smith(the baseball player) fan@rhetthulgan
They...took....Scott Cochran...Georgia is now the college football team I hate the most. Move over LSU and OSU, I hate Georgia a whole lot more now

Brenda[IMG][IMG] Bama softball@b2v4ua
Good riddance Scott Cochran. Have fun with the Pillsbury dough boy CKS.

DeAndrae R. Sewell I@kwestion01
Kirby Smart just gotta be Alabama!! He has the if you can't beat them, join them mentality in terms of taking coaches and players that are Alabama!! If he wants to be Bama so bad, why didn't he just stay here?

REV. B@WilliamBrunso10
Scott Cochran, leaving for the University of Georgia with just make beating them extra special when they come to Tuscaloosa this year [IMG][IMG][IMG]

Corey Eskew@Corey_Eskew. If this Scott Cochran news is true that’s a major blow [IMG]

Jacob@JFletch64
While I’m sad to see Scott Cochran go I’ve wanted to see someone new

Shutdown Man@ShutdownMan
I’ll be just fine with Scott Cochran trying to coach a position at Georgia. I’d target his group on every opportunity possible, when UGA comes to T-Town is September

RollTideAgain2020@Again2020Roll
My to Hell with Scott Cochran!!

Crimson&White Patriot (Roll Tide)@RamJamRTR
Well this sucks if it's true.
Scott Cochran, arguably the most important part of Alabama football beyond Nick Saban, wi..

raysh@rayshmor
My earliest memories from Alabama football games are of watching Scott Cochran run up and down the sidelines holding his 4’s up. Please respect my space in this time of grieving

Deltwon Travis@DTravis93
Man I just know Scott Cochran not going to Georgia bro. I just know he’s not!!! Absolutely no way!!!!

Coy@coy_moore9
I’m feeling like Saban getting ready to hang it up. Cochran left? Something ain’t right

Ricky Green@BamaRLG
Cochran to UGA really isn't a big deal. Our strength and conditioning program has went downhill for several years now. His system was ancient and contributed heavily to recent injury history at Bama in my opinion. Next man up.#RollTide #BamaBros

Larry Grace@LarryGraceWtf? Kirby poached Scott Cochran? This is bs

High_Tider@High_Tider
Wow. Not Cochran. Damn Kirby.

Lil Fred@1FLGSavo
Scott Cochran lame af[IMG]

ROWE: Kudos to Scott Cochran for betting on himself

ByJAKE ROWE 3 hours ago

Scott Cochran is the type of person you want around your program. He's the type of person you want inside your program.

That's why the best to ever do it, Nick Saban, had him around for 13 years at Alabama and hired him onto his strength staff way back in 2004 at LSU. He's a leader, a motivator, and a builder of men, evidenced by the impact he has had on College Football's gold-standard program.

It's well-known at this point that Kirby Smart tried to get him to join him at Georgia on his initial staff. By all accounts, the two are quite close off the field and Smart knew what kind of impact and influence Cochran could have on his program.

With all things being even -- it would have been a lateral move -- Cochran elected to stay in Tuscaloosa and remain with a program he played a part in building. He stuck with the guy who gave him a shot to be a head strength coach. He helped the Crimson Tide bring home a fifth National Championship under Saban.

When Smart had an opportunity to sell, one that was attractive enough to persuade Cochran to make a change, he went for it. But this move isn't about Smart and his decision to bring Cochran on. The more I've thought about it, the more it's a no-brainer type of move. Cochran has been around high-level football for a long time. He has spent more than a decade picking up the tricks of the trade when it comes to coaching and recruiting.

No one knows for a fact how his entrance into on-field coaching will ultimately work out, but he's qualified for the opportunity.

This move is about Cochran and the fact that he's betting on himself. He's a two-time winner of the national strength and conditioning coach of the year. He has been profiled by 60 Minutes and ESPN for his strength program in Tuscaloosa. He started and oversaw a "Fourth Quarter Program" at Alabama, one that helped build the program into a dynasty.

If you're wondering how big of a role he played in it all, look no further than his salary. He made $595,000 in 2019, good for fifth in the nation. Cochran was sitting pretty. Still a young man at 40 years old, Cochran had already reached elite status in a highly-competitive field. There are coaches who are paid more but none have the hardware. He had every reason to sit tight, enjoy the ride, and finish his career at Alabama where he'd certainly remain a beloved figure.

But Cochran wanted more.

“Scott did a really good job for us here and was a big part of our success, but he was looking for a new career path,” Saban told ESPN. “He wanted to get on to the field coaching and would like one day, I think, to be a head coach. We didn’t really have anything here to offer him along those lines, and Georgia did. I understand him wanting to take on that path.”

Outside of simply mailing it in, something you don't get the impression that Cochran is capable of, he was never going to be considered a failure as a strength coach. Like many have and many will, he could have continued toying with the idea of becoming an on-field coach while never walking away from the field where he had achieved greatness.

Instead, he's risking failure to, according to Saban, chase a dream. Smart is going to get a lot of pats on the back for bringing on his long-time friend, a move that could hurt Alabama as much as it helps Georgia. Cochran, however, deserves just as much credit or more for challenging himself.

BOOM! BDE from Kirby on this one! I love how Bama fans are downplaying this, like it's no big deal. Deep down they know CSC is a pillar to their program, and losing him is a huge loss. Cant wait for Sept 19th. This has been quite frankly one of, if not THE BEST, offseason in CKS tenure. Additions of Todd Monken, Buster Faulker (sneaky good hire), Matt Luke (retaining all those elite OL recruits when Pittman bolted) and now Scott Cochran to round out the staff. Jamie Newman with the #1 recruiting class absolutely has me hyped!!! HBTFD! 

51 minutes ago, D.B.N. said:

BOOM! BDE from Kirby on this one! I love how Bama fans are downplaying this, like it's no big deal. Deep down they know CSC is a pillar to their program, and losing him is a huge loss. Cant wait for Sept 19th. This has been quite frankly one of, if not THE BEST, offseason in CKS tenure. Additions of Todd Monken, Buster Faulker (sneaky good hire), Matt Luke (retaining all those elite OL recruits when Pittman bolted) and now Scott Cochran to round out the staff. Jamie Newman with the #1 recruiting class absolutely has me hyped!!! HBTFD! 

Yep we gonna go down to Tuscaloosa and take it from Bama.  That's the way it should be.  This was one of kirby's best offseasons since he has come to UGA. 

• But Cochran’s value at Alabama went far beyond the strength and conditioning program. When a player was considering transferring to another school, Saban sent Cochran to talk to him. When Saban heard a player was considering leaving early for the NFL Draft who he felt wasn’t ready, he dispatched Cochran to talk some sense into him. When a player was struggling in school or with a personal situation, Cochran was there to lend help and talk through it. He had as much, if not more, value helping players outside of the weight room than he did in it.

Saban is a masterful coach and motivator, but as the head coach, he has a myriad of responsibilities to deal with that go beyond only interacting with the players. Saban knew Cochran had earned the players’ trust and could be counted on to deal with situations he either didn’t have the time or desire to deal with on a regular basis. Cochran was the perfect No. 2 who could be the good cop when Saban needed him to but widely respected enough that no player wanted to disappoint him.

Pure gold

1 hour ago, OrthoPTSD said:
  • But Cochran’s value at Alabama went far beyond the strength and conditioning program. When a player was considering transferring to another school, Saban sent Cochran to talk to him. When Saban heard a player was considering leaving early for the NFL Draft who he felt wasn’t ready, he dispatched Cochran to talk some sense into him. When a player was struggling in school or with a personal situation, Cochran was there to lend help and talk through it. He had as much, if not more, value helping players outside of the weight room than he did in it.

Saban is a masterful coach and motivator, but as the head coach, he has a myriad of responsibilities to deal with that go beyond only interacting with the players. Saban knew Cochran had earned the players’ trust and could be counted on to deal with situations he either didn’t have the time or desire to deal with on a regular basis. Cochran was the perfect No. 2 who could be the good cop when Saban needed him to but widely respected enough that no player wanted to disappoint him.

Pure gold

yep.. Scott Cochran was a lot more than just a S&C coach.  he was Saban's right hand man and was so vital to Alabama and their run.  I think Cochran will one day be a heck of a head coach.  

Tua Tagovailoa on Bama losing Scott Cochran to UGA. 

"Coach Cochran, he was a special guy. He doesn't get as much credit as people should give him. You want to talk about someone who has developed very deep and personal relationships with players? He has been the backbone for the organization there at Alabama. It is going to be hard, you know? Alabama is definitely going to miss him.

"It is how he develops relationships with the players. He is not just the strength coach."

For those expecting Scott Cochran to make his first UGA staff meeting this morning at 8am with the rest of Kirby Smart's staff you would be wrong.

A trusted source told Dawgs247 that the new special teams coordinator (Cochran) is already on the road visiting with another power five team on their special teams and things they use. We are also told that Cochran will leave that school and visit with another P5 staff for a few days studying tape and learning what others have used to be successful on game days.

This is not unusual for coaches to visit with other teams in the offseason, but this does confirm that Cochran will truly be in charge of special teams and working day to day with the team on that part of the game.

12 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

Yep we gonna go down to Tuscaloosa and take it from Bama.  That's the way it should be.  This was one of kirby's best offseasons since he has come to UGA. 

You know, last year was not a great year by what could have been. But, you have to give it to Kirby..... he recognized it and went after the coaches and players he wanted with a vengeance. The most important and insightful moves I’ve ever witnessed in a matter of a few months. Kudos CKS! 

10 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

Tua Tagovailoa on Bama losing Scott Cochran to UGA. 

"Coach Cochran, he was a special guy. He doesn't get as much credit as people should give him. You want to talk about someone who has developed very deep and personal relationships with players? He has been the backbone for the organization there at Alabama. It is going to be hard, you know? Alabama is definitely going to miss him.

"It is how he develops relationships with the players. He is not just the strength coach."

Respect for Tua! keeping it real.

To be honest, I will miss Scott. I think the program will miss him, but I seem to recall a lot of GA bashing him about our spring training and all those season ending injuries. 

I honestly believe if Saban wanted him there, he would have made a position for him. Not saying that he is not a worthy coach, but why hasn't Saban promoted him to an on field position if that is what Scott wanted?

Saban is probably mad because he did it at this time of the year. He should have taken the job in January or earlier in the month, I am just guessing.

And as to why Saban didn't let him speak to the players, you have to look no further than your own head coach! Why would Saban allow him to go talk to players he would try to drag over to GA? That is just common sense, Maurice Smith ring a bell to anyone? Pictures of recruitment boards? Like a lot of businesses when you submit a letter of resignation, you leave the building.

Alabama will be just fine, this happens all the time, ya'll got a taste of it this year. You better get use to it. Looks like Aaron Feld might be the next man up!