Who actually "fits the scheme" these days?

k-train

We are four years removed from Kyle Shanahan... close to half a decade... and so when I hear posters talking about finding guys who fit the scheme I just wonder how much of that system we really should expect anymore. Are we still looking for O-linemen who might be smaller, but have the athleticism to excel in a zone-blocking scheme? Or are we starting to lean more toward what Koetter's used in the past, a scheme based around power more then movement?

I know that leading up to last year's draft, Lindstrom was touted as being an above-average athlete who should excel on the interior in a ZBS. Meanwhile, McGary was a guy described as having great power, but limitations w/ movement. Seems like we kinda went in both directions at the same time in that draft.

We went from drafting a small, shifty, pass-catching back in Ito Smith prior to Koetter's arrival to having since let Coleman walk, brought Brian Hill back, and drafted Ollison. That seems to me to be an indication that the focus was more on switching to power rather than maintaining the status quo of a ZBS employed by Shanahan and then Sark.

So I am curious to know what our actual identity is supposed to be these days when it comes to run blocking. Do we even have one? What traits do we need to be looking for w/ o-linemen & running backs?

6 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

I’m pretty sure it’s an outside zone, west coast, vertical, one cut power running system. Pretty simple 

Quinn "I want you to run Kyle's west coach but keep your vertical influence and let Mularkey have his power run game".

Koetter "I'm just here for the check man"

9 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

I’m pretty sure it’s an outside zone, west coast, vertical, one cut running system. Pretty simple 

When I was a kid, I remember it was a thing to mix all the different fountain drinks together to form some new flavor of soda. The term for this concoction was a "suicide'.

Seems like the same concept here & a fitting name as well.

10 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

Quinn "I want you to run Kyle's west coach but keep your vertical influence and let Mularkey have his power run game".

Koetter "I'm just here for the check man"

4 minutes ago, k-train said:

When I was a kid, I remember it was a thing to mix all the different fountain drinks together to form some new flavor of soda. The term for this concoction was a "suicide'.

Seems like the same concept here & a fitting name as well.

This thread just reminded me of this scene from office space :lol:

giphy.gif

Just now, JD dirtybird21 said:

This thread just reminded me of this scene from office space :lol:

giphy.gif

If there's any silver lining to this mess, it's that when you're devoid of an identity & essentially trying to run every scheme at once, literally every player in the draft is technically a scheme fit.

So no matter who he drafts, TD can't miss, right?:lol:

Just now, k-train said:

If there's any silver lining to this mess, it's that when you're devoid of an identity & essentially trying to run every scheme at once, literally every player in the draft is technically a scheme fit.

So no matter who he drafts, TD can't miss, right?:lol:

He can miss on if a player can actually...play football. 

I hear ya man......I’d tell you that “we (as an org) do not appear to know exactly what our scheme/identity is these days”.  Maybe that’s part of their ingenious disguise to keep rest of league off balance but......didn’t work so well. I know the buzz words Wes here.....”fast, about the ball, explosive.....”......not sure what that means to this staff/team though.  

17 minutes ago, BUBBASBEANS said:

I hear ya man......I’d tell you that “we (as an org) do not appear to know exactly what our scheme/identity is these days”.  Maybe that’s part of their ingenious disguise to keep rest of league off balance but......didn’t work so well. I know the buzz words Wes here.....”fast, about the ball, explosive.....”......not sure what that means to this staff/team though.  

at least two of those describe a time frame of the immediate few hours after eating taco bell.....

:ninja: