Bears Release Gabriel & Prince A

FalconsIn2012

9 minutes ago, vel said:

Makes sense. Gabriel was never going to work in Chicago on slow turf and with a shlt QB. 

Signing didn't make sense in the first place.

1 hour ago, athell said:

Would have to look up their cap space, they clearing room for Carr?

Not sure. Wouldn't be surprised if Leonard Floyd was a surprise cut...it'd free up 13.2 million since they took his option. I'd be interested in bringing him in tbh, depending on the cost. Could be a good SAM and we're thin there. Never thought he'd be anything special as a DE to begin with, total misuse of his skillset. Hometown guy looks good for AB too.

Just now, Francis York Morgan said:

Not sure. Wouldn't be surprised if Leonard Floyd was a surprise cut...it'd free up 13.2 million since they took his option. I'd be interested in bringing him in tbh, depending on the cost. Could be a good SAM and we're thin there. Never thought he'd be anything special as a DE to begin with, total misuse of his skillset.

They have horribly misused Floyd, I'd be down.  Have watched a ton of Chicago games over the years, and I see potential in him but as you pointed out, he doesn't fit there.  We talked about them supposedly all in on Beasley too but even that would be kinda funny...replacing Floyd w/ Vic would be a really dumb move imo.

12 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Signing didn't make sense in the first place.

Not sure. Wouldn't be surprised if Leonard Floyd was a surprise cut...it'd free up 13.2 million since they took his option. I'd be interested in bringing him in tbh, depending on the cost. Could be a good SAM and we're thin there. Never thought he'd be anything special as a DE to begin with, total misuse of his skillset. Hometown guy looks good for AB too.

I’d like Floyd as well...but he mostly plays SAM for the Bears, not as much DE

29 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Wouldn't be surprised if Leonard Floyd was a surprise cut...it'd free up 13.2 million since they took his option. I'd be interested in bringing him in tbh, depending on the cost. Could be a good SAM and we're thin there. Never thought he'd be anything special as a DE to begin with, total misuse of his skillset. Hometown guy looks good for AB too.

Would surprise me either. He has been a huge disappointment for them.

Then the board gonna get all stupid the second he is released since he is a Dawg.

7 minutes ago, athell said:

Primarily yeah, but he should really be there full time.  He was a tweener for them who would routinely line up with his hand in the dirt.  I'd be down to slot him in at SAM and let him go.

They've had him at OLB, MLB, the ******* slot. Everywhere. He dropped into coverage on over 20% of passing plays.

16 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

How many games of his have you watched? 

Not many TBH, and the bears games I seen I didn’t focus on him and he didn’t jump out.

Word from Bears beat writer was he has disappointed. Coming out of UGA wasn’t he hyped as a pass rusher? Best sack season was 7 as a rookie, worse than Beasley this year. Averages 4.5 sacks and 10 QBs hits a season. And if his excuse is that he wasn’t rushing the passer as much, he averaged 38 tackles a season (26 solo). I am always down to learn more though, what am I missing to say he hasn’t disappointed as a top 10 pick?

and if I am wrong about him being a disappointment, doesn’t change the fact that if he is cut half the board gonna post about ‘bring him home’

I even read an article saying CHI should target Beasley to upgrade Floyd! (I know it’s just some random dudes opinion, but still) Not a glowing endorsement when the rumors are swirling the should cut him on his rookie deal.

If the stats lie, and he was a stud on the eye test, I won’t debate it. I like most here don’t watch every team as a Falcons fan, so I can’t say if it’s BS or not.

34 minutes ago, athell said:

Primarily yeah, but he should really be there full time.  He was a tweener for them who would routinely line up with his hand in the dirt.  I'd be down to slot him in at SAM and let him go.

Me too.  His LB coach absolutely loves him

“The Bears picked up Floyd's fifth-year option last offseason, which means his cap number will jump from just over $5 million this season to more than $13 million in 2020. It's a hefty price to pay for a player who doesn't get to the quarterback, but linebackers coach Ted Monachino said this week that no player on Chicago's roster can do what Floyd does for the defense.

“There’s only one guy in our building that can do the job that Leonard is asked to do, and that’s Leonard Floyd,” Monachino said. “He’s playing at as high a level as I’ve ever had a ‘Sam’ [linebacker] play. I couldn’t ask any more of him.

“He wears a lot of hats throughout the game. He’s in coverage in base. He’s in coverage in sub. He’s a rusher in base. He’s a rusher in sub. He does it all for us. I do wish for him, and I think it would help all of us if he got some sacks, and we didn’t have to answer the same question once a month. But I do believe he’s playing at as high a level as any ‘Sam’ in our league.

1 hour ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I’d like Floyd as well...but he mostly plays SAM for the Bears, not as much DE

Does he? Interesting, I'd watched a few Bears games and typically saw him line up like a DE, standing up sometimes but almost always rushing the passer or setting the edge. It's possible I caught a bunch of games where he did that more...I just barely saw him play the same role Campbell does for us.