Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
King Jigsaw

The King Has Mocked - Seeing 20/20 In 2020

Most of you know I don't spend much time on the boards anymore but the one time of the year that I get real spirited is draft season. Seeing how much fun you guys are having posting your mocks (even though the majority of them this year seem to be from those horribly inaccurate draft simulators) made me want to get involved again and show you kids how it's done. As always, no mock is ever going to please everyone. The fact of the matter is we don't have the resources to make everyone happy and there will always be a weakness. Nevertheless, I'm never going to be one of those guys that copy+pastes from a automated drafter or fills your feed with YouTube highlight vids that you could look up yourself.

So without further ado... I present to you my annual mock that some will love, some will hate, and some will find a reason to call unrealistic - as opposed to all the other uber-realistic mocks that will definitely happen on draft weekend. Hope you enjoy the read, fellow Falcons!

Free Agency

• Obvious Cuts:
    • Devonta Freeman, RB - I think this is a no-brainer at this point. Not worth discussing. (+$6.5M*)(June 1st)
    • Allen Bailey, DE - Good player, but the cap space is more important. (+$4.5M)
    • Ty Sambrailo, OT - Desperate for money, the Falcons can find cheaper depth. (+$3.7M)
    • Luke Stocker, TE - Hasn’t been very impressive and we need the cash. (+$2.6M)
  • Priority Resignings:
    • Tyeler Davison, DT - Solid run defender and we need to keep the cupboard stocked at DT.
    • Blidi Wreh-Wilson, CB - Scheme familiarity, cheap option, had 7 PBUs last season.
    • Justin Hardy, WR - Will likely come cheap, lots of time spent with MR2, mostly reliable.
    • Brian Hill, RB - Easy decision to place a tender on Hill, who could see some early looks at the starter.
    • Kemal Ishmael, LB - Very familiar with Quinn’s D as both Safety and Linebacker, valuable depth.
  • New Acquisitions
    • Dante Fowler Jr, DE - This is our big splash signing this year and a much-needed upgrade over Beasley.
    • Clayton Geathers, S - Not one of the top safeties on the market this year, but was a solid starter for Indy.
    • Johnathan Hankins, DT - Monster against the run, huge body for the rotation.

Draft

• 1. CIN - Joe Burrow, QB, LSU
  • 2. MIA* - Tua Tagovailoa, QB, Alabama
  • 3. DET - Chase Young, EDGE, Ohio State
  • 4. NYG - Jedrick Wills, OT, Alabame
  • 5. WAS* - Jeff Okudah, CB, Ohio State
  • 6. LAC - Justin Herbert, QB, Oregon
  • 7. CAR - Derrick Brown, DL, Auburn
  • 8. ARI - Andrew Thomas, OT, Georgia
  • 9. JAX - Jerry Jeudy, WR, Alabama
  • 10. CLE - Tristan Wirfs, OT, Iowa
  • 11. NYJ - CeeDee Lamb, WR, Oklahoma
  • 12. LV - Isaiah Simmons, LB, Clemson
  • 13. IND - Javon Kinlaw, DL, South Carolina
  • 14. TB - Mekhi Becton, OT, Louisville
  • 15. DEN - Henry Ruggs III, WR, Alabama

There are surely some trades that will happen in the top 15 ahead of our pick. For the sake of unpredictability, I’ll only be mocking one and that’s Miami’s move up to #2 to secure the QB prospect they’ve been enamored with all year. If someone were to trade into the 15 spot with Denver to snatch our preferred target, I could see the Falcons being willing to move down (even in a big way) for a team calling to move ahead of Dallas for a falling prospect in the secondary. I won’t try to land a guess at who could fall in love with someone like Claisson, Epenesa, or Gross-Matos so I’ll just leave Denver in the 15 spot but still mock the trade at 16. With a lot of offensive linemen taken ahead of us and a lot of receivers still projected to go in the first, the Falcons can capitalize with a sizable move down and still land a player at a position of need. Which is why my dream scenario would be...

Vikings Receive:

• -Round 1, Pick 16
  • -Round 5, Pick 140

Falcons Receive:

• -Round 1, Pick 25
  • -Round 2, Pick 58
  • -2021 4th Round Pick

• 16. MIN - Grant Delpit, S, LSU
  • 17. DAL - Xavier McKinney, S, Alabama
  • 18. MIA - DeAndre Swift, RB, Georgia
  • 19. LV - Jordan Love, QB, Utah State
  • 20. JAX - Kenneth Murray, LB, Oklahoma
  • 21. PHI - Laviska Shenault, WR, Colorado
  • 22. BUF - Tee Higgins, WR, Clemson
  • 23. NE - K’Lavon Chaisson, EDGE, LSU
  • 24. NO - Justin Jefferson, WR, LSU

• Round 1, Pick 25 - Yetur Gross-Matos, EDGE, Penn State
    • Height: 6’5”  Weight: 265 lbs.
    • There are still quite a few options here for Atlanta that make sense. A lot of talented CBs have fallen, there are a few offensive linemen in this range if the powers that be want to continue strengthening Matt Ryan’s protection, and some talented pass-rushers that I expect the Falcons have their eye on. In this scenario we go with the latter, adding a talented edge rusher with loads of potential to continue improving - a scary thought for a player who just notched 20 TFL’s last season.

• Round 2, Pick 47 - Patrick Queen, LB, LSU
    • Height: 6’1” Weight: 227 lbs.
    • Having another linebacker with sideline-to-sideline speed is imperative for Quinn’s defense. Queen has the speed and instincts to play at either Will or Mike, helping to protect the integrity of the defense in the unfortunate scenario of another Deion Jones injury. A very fluid athlete that’s both competitive in coverage and excels at shooting gaps while rushing, Queen would give us another athletic rally guy making plays all over the field. The biggest detraction against Queen is his lack of strength which seems to raise doubts about his ability to take on blocks at the next level and be a factor, but he will still win with his speed and slipperiness. I think he’ll be plug and play in this scheme.

• Round 2, Pick 55 - Clyde Edwards-Helaire, RB, LSU
    • Height: 5’8” Weight: 209 lbs.
    • CEH was a dominating presence on the field for LSU this year, combining for over 1,800 yards (rushing and receiving) and scoring 17 total TDs. His lateral quickness, smooth running style, and natural receiving ability will make him an easy fit into most NFL offenses. The way he sets up his blocks, changes direction quickly, and displays a tenacious thirst for extra yards makes him dangerous on every touch. Good luck on your next team, Devonta Freeman.

• Round 2, Pick 58 - Solomon Kindley, OG, Georgia
    • Height: 6’4” Weight: 335 lbs.
    • Despite his massive frame and hefty weight, Kindley is still a surprisingly good athlete with impressive movement skills. The Falcons used a first round pick last year on Chris Lindstrom who I think will be a mainstay at LG for the Falcons for many years. The right side still needs an upgrade next to McGary, however, and Kindley fits the bill as a dominant roadgrader capable of taking on any defender in his path and removing him from the play.

• Round 3, Pick 78 - Colby Parkinson, TE, Stanford
    • Height: 6’7” Weight: 251 lbs.
    • Parkinson has been a massive target for the Cardinal and that kind of catch radius will certainly translate to the pro game. A nightmare on seams and fades, Parkinson won’t offer much in the form of blocking (at least early on in his career) but at the very least will assist in the red zone scoring department that has plagued the Falcons of late. I’m not sure that there are any TEs available at this juncture that could truly replace what Hooper did for us in 2019 but Parkinson would certainly be an asset to Matt Ryan who could utilize his size and speed at the position.

• Round 4, Pick 109 - Stanford Samuels III, CB, Florida State
    • Height: 6’2” Weight: 185 lbs.
    • After combining for 118 tackles, 6 INTs, and 18 PBU’s the last two years, Samuels is a big athletic corner capable of matching up with any receiver on the boundary. While Samuels will need to get stronger to keep from getting boxed out by bigger receivers like Mike Evans, he certainly has the measurables and frame to become a solid starter across from Isaiah Oliver.

• Round 7, Pick 229 - Charlie Heck, OT, North Carolina
    • Height: 6’8” Weight: 309 lbs.
    • Massive yet athletic, Heck has played at both Left and Right Tackle for UNC and could compete with Gono for swing tackle duties. With the frugal loss of Ty Sambrailo, the Falcons will have to make sure that the offensive line has some depth just in case the injury bug feasts again.

Make Believe Depth Chart 

Offense (25)

• QB: Matt Ryan, Matt Schaub
  • RB: Clyde Edwards-Helaire, Brian Hill, Ito Smith, Quadree Ollison
  • WR: Julio Jones, Russell Gage, Devin Gray
  • WR: Calvin Ridley, Justin Hardy, Olamide Zaccheaus
  • TE: Colby Parkinson, Jaeden Graham, Carson Meier
  • LT: Jake Matthews, Matt Gono
  • LG: Chris Lindstrom, James Carpenter
  • C: Alex Mack, Sean Harlow
  • RG: Solomon Kindley, Jamon Brown
  • RT: Kaleb McGary, Charlie Heck

Defense (25)

• DE: Yetur Gross-Matos, Takk McKinley, Austin Larkin
  • DT: Grady Jarrett, Deadrin Senat, Mike Bennett
  • DT: Tyeler Davison, Johnathan Hankins
  • DE: Dante Fowler, John Cominsky 
  • LB: Deion Jones, Kemal Ishmael, Ahmad Thomas
  • LB: Patrick Queen, Foye Oluokun
  • CB: Desmond Trufant, Kendall Sheffield, Jordan Miller
  • FS: Ricardo Allen, Demontae Kazee
  • SS: Keanu Neal, Clayton Geathers
  • CB: Isaiah Oliver, Blidi Wreh-Wilson, Stanford Samuels

Special Teams (3)

• K: YoungHoe Koo  [HAIL SOUTHERN]
  • P: Ryan Allen
  • LS: Josh Harris
Edited by King Jigsaw

Takk will have a big year after the surgery, and i will be anything he starts across from whatever FA DE we get. I dont like YGM though. I also dont think we could get a 2nd and 4th by dropping to 25. Maybe though. I dont know if we have money for anyone after fowler. He will get 15-17 mil a year. I think we may go for Clowney or Yannick over fowler. Or may consider going slightly cheaper with a guy like shaq lawson. 

Edited by LaurentRobinsonDaGawd

Good work and it is doable. You like Harlow over Wes? Where is Clayborn? 

Personally I would go with another back than the guy from LSU but you have done some good work. Excuse my typpos Im in the hospital.

Really nice work and the three second rounders could all start, but I still go interior DL as opposed to RB. Just have to infuse some young talent beside Grady.

Ishmael I hope never see the field again.

18 hours ago, Bunchy Carter said:

I thought the June 1st designation was no longer a thing...

17 hours ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

N ot until a new cba. it will get done tho

This. So everyone seems to think the new CBA will get done prior to the 2020 season. Even if we don’t get the designation, we can still wait to cut Freeman after June 1st for the extra savings. I don’t think the Falcons would do that because it would be a crappy thing to do to Freeman who we seem to still be on good terms with, but everyone understands it’s a business.

A new CBA makes all that moot, however.

13 hours ago, Gold4425 said:

Good work and it is doable. You like Harlow over Wes? Where is Clayborn? 

Personally I would go with another back than the guy from LSU but you have done some good work. Excuse my typpos Im in the hospital.

Wes is unrestricted, Harlow is Exclusive Rights. Seems to be easier to tender than sign in that case. I don’t prefer one significantly more than the other, but haven’t really compared them either. Doubt we can afford Clayborn after we go after a marquee guy at the same position, but I’d be happy to be wrong about that.

As for CEH, I think he’s a very well-rounded back that’s made for the pro game. Some guys can thrive in college but can’t translate their game and I think he’s one of those guys who will make a seamless transition. Was also a big Miles Sanders fan last year and I feel like CEH and Hill/Ito could be just as productive a tandem as Sanders and Howard was for the Eagles this past season.

Thanks for reading and the feedback, and I hope you get better soon!

12 hours ago, OrthoPTSD said:

Really nice work and the three second rounders could all start, but I still go interior DL as opposed to RB. Just have to infuse some young talent beside Grady.

Ishmael I hope never see the field again.

For some reason, I just can’t sell myself on any of the DTs in this draft outside of the first round guys and I’d rather bring in another pass rusher at that juncture. I already know we won’t have Brown, so it’s either Kinlaw or bust at this point for me. The free agent market looks to be loaded at DT this year though and we should be able to find some quality players at a bargain price. I also think we haven’t seen Senat’s ceiling yet, so I’m not sure we’re completely void of talent past Jarrett.

As for Ishmael, I think he means more to us than anyone else so he’ll stick around. He could play a number of positions in this defense well enough to make him a game day lock. With the injuries we’ve seen to our linebackers and safeties the past couple of years I think he’s worth the pennies we’d pay him.

12 hours ago, Vandy said:

Where you been bro?

Showing the kids how a real mock should be done!

Too much of a good thing is a bad thing. ;) 

I don’t know about all that. There are other talented mockers around here I’m sure. I just place a higher priority on presentation than most so hopefully someone appreciates the visual ease that some formatting can lend to a mock.

It’s really good to here from you though. I hope you’ve been well, my friend!

" Luke Stocker, TE - Hasn’t been very impressive and we need the cash. (+$2.6M) "

Are you kidding? He's one of the best wide tackles in football.

9 hours ago, King Jigsaw said:

Don’t get my thread locked with your bickering too.

LMAO

12 hours ago, Ovie_Lover said:

What is a wide tackle

A joke my dude

14 hours ago, King Jigsaw said:

For some reason, I just can’t sell myself on any of the DTs in this draft outside of the first round guys and I’d rather bring in another pass rusher at that juncture.

Super interesting how differently people feel about this. I'm actually way down on the hand-in-the-dirt DEs and feel way more positive about the DTs and stand up/SAM guys.

On 2/20/2020 at 9:40 PM, King Jigsaw said:

Free Agency

• Tyeler Davison, DT - Solid run defender and we need to keep the cupboard stocked at DT.
  • Blidi Wreh-Wilson, CB - Scheme familiarity, cheap option, had 7 PBUs last season.
  • Justin Hardy, WR - Will likely come cheap, lots of time spent with MR2, mostly reliable.
  • Brian Hill, RB - Easy decision to place a tender on Hill, who could see some early looks at the starter.
  • Kemal Ishmael, LB - Very familiar with Quinn’s D as both Safety and Linebacker, valuable depth.
  • Dante Fowler Jr, DE - This is our big splash signing this year and a much-needed upgrade over Beasley.
  • Clayton Geathers, S - Not one of the top safeties on the market this year, but was a solid starter for Indy.
  • Johnathan Hankins, DT - Monster against the run, huge body for the rotation.

• Round 1, Pick 25 - Yetur Gross-Matos, EDGE, Penn State
    • Height: 6’5”  Weight: 265 lbs.
  • Round 2, Pick 47 - Patrick Queen, LB, LSU
    • Height: 6’1” Weight: 227 lbs.
  • Round 2, Pick 55 - Clyde Edwards-Helaire, RB, LSU
    • Height: 5’8” Weight: 209 lbs.
  • Round 2, Pick 58 - Solomon Kindley, OG, Georgia
    • Height: 6’4” Weight: 335 lbs.
  • Round 3, Pick 78 - Colby Parkinson, TE, Stanford
    • Height: 6’7” Weight: 251 lbs.
  • Round 4, Pick 109 - Stanford Samuels III, CB, Florida State
    • Height: 6’2” Weight: 185 lbs.
  • Round 7, Pick 229 - Charlie Heck, OT, North Carolina
    • Height: 6’8” Weight: 309 lbs.

Interesting to read for sure. But I'm torn. I like some of your FA, but I don't get the re-signings at all. Davison when we're bringing in Hankins and have Senat on the roster? Redundant af if I'm being honest. Geathers and Fowler are cool gets. I feel like Hardy is the same old song, and Ishmael was ******* terrible last year. And we aren't bringing back Clayborn?

In the draft, I'm torn on Gross-Matos...when watching, I think he's likely the second best 4-3 DE in the draft after Young, does a lot of exciting things, but I get a weird vibe, and that was before the Penn St. news broke. If it's false, great, but either way...just feel odd.

Love CEH and Queen is...well, I like him, but I'm not sure he's a great fit here. He doesn't take Campbell's spot and isn't a big upgrade over Foye. He just doesn't fit SAM. So I guess I don't get it. Kindley could be good, know if he has any center experience? Haven't watched your picks round 3 and after, which feels kinda weird for me since I thought I was familiar with a lot of the class, but I'll get some viewing in.

Anyways, cool take, probably more realistic than a lot of mocks. Could see us doing something really similar and leaving me half elated, half frustrated.

Solid draft and off season moves.  Only thing I'd change is Solomon Kindley in the second.  Kindley's feet can get sloppy and he's not very good at getting to the second level.  If Netane Muti is there he'd be perfect

I like Parkinson as the TE option.   Parkinson is 6'7".   His  biggest "weakness" is the lack of long speed.  With Julio and Ridley (and Gage) able to go deep, that is not as big an issue.   A 6'7" guy who is smart (Stanford!!!) for possession.

He will be available in the 4th, though.