which tight end should we draft? which round should we draft him?

Falcons Fan MVP

10 hours ago, Gonobeast said:

Thaddeus Moss - easy decision 

What has he done that makes him such a sure fire pick? There is a reason he is a mid round guy, and it’s not because he missed most the year for getting a positive test. 
edit: Moss wasn’t suspended for a failed test, it was LB Divinity...my bad!!!

Not saying he is a bum, but thinking his dad has you on his bandwagon.

Someone in round 3 should replace hoops production.  More I watch, the more he can’t beat blocks and doesn’t deserve top 5 TE money.  75.5% of his catches came from holes in zone or on underneath coverage, by far the highest in league.  His win rate against single coverage was well below average.  It’s the Julio/Ridley effect.  We can get someone very cheap and likely have 80-90% of the production year one.

Im honestly not sure if i would draft one this year and would give Graham every chance he can to win the spot while also targeting a reasonably price vet fa to bring in as a #2.   Im just not a huge fan of the TE's coming out this year compared to prior years and think our offense ran quite well when Hooper was out.

Over the last half of the season when Hooper was playing he avg'd a little under 40 yards a game and only had 1 TD the entire 2nd half in 5 games played.  We won every single one of those games without him adding a ton to the offense which i think graham or a vet could come pretty close to replacing that production.  Graham during the 3 games Hooper was out avgd also 40 ypg and 1 td so he gave us the same exact production hooper did the other 5 games hooper played.   We had 23 ppg in the games hooper was out as a team and also had 23 ppg for the entire season which he mostly played in.   So although i like hooper as a player i personally don't think he changed our team as much as i thought he did to begin with and don't think he provided much more than graham can if you give graham more experience and targets.   He surely didn't provide 10-12+ milion dollars a year change to our offense.

5 hours ago, 1989Fan said:

What has he done that makes him such a sure fire pick? There is a reason he is a mid round guy, and it’s not because he was suspended all year for taking a legal supplement and falsely getting a positive test. 

Because he’s a mid round guy and there will be better talent in other positions besides a so so TE class

6 hours ago, 1989Fan said:

What has he done that makes him such a sure fire pick? There is a reason he is a mid round guy, and it’s not because he was suspended all year for taking a legal supplement and falsely getting a positive test. 

Bloodlines .... don’t go against it.  He can run and catch.  

6 hours ago, 1989Fan said:

Moss suspended a full year for a failed drug test?   When did this happen?

Tight ends may be the leagues worst position group to evaluate.  So many good ones have come on day two and very few taken in the first have panned out.  It’s not even saying their value isn’t high, it just seems no one has any clue what will translate to the NFL.  

You look at:

Kittle (3rd)
Kelce (3rd)
Andrews (3rd)
Ertz (2nd)
Higbee (4th)
Hoop (3rd)
Goedert (2nd)
Maxx Williams (2nd)
Jared Cook (3rd)
Everett (2nd)
Henry (2nd)
Boyle (5th)
Waller (6th)

The list goes on of the best tight ends playing were mainly in rounds 2 & 3, even Gronk was round 2, and if you redrafted those drafts, a lot of those guys would go round one now knowing their production over guys like Evan Ingram, OJ Howard, Eric Ebron, Hayden Hurst, David Njoku, TJ Hockenson, Noah Fant, etc. who have a ton of talent, but haven’t produced at a high level yet.  None of those guys (other than maybe Fant) felt like reaches either at the time, every draft board you saw leading up to those drafts had those guys going round one, some top ten overall.

It’s not that the position doesn’t warrant a first round pick, it’s that every one that seems be taken in the first round hasn’t lived up to it, yet many in the second or third rounds have.  I can’t think of any other position in the last decade that the hit rate in the first round is lower than the hit rate in the second and third, very strange.

11 hours ago, Rings said:

Someone in round 3 should replace hoops production.  More I watch, the more he can’t beat blocks and doesn’t deserve top 5 TE money.  75.5% of his catches came from holes in zone or on underneath coverage, by far the highest in league.  His win rate against single coverage was well below average.  It’s the Julio/Ridley effect.  We can get someone very cheap and likely have 80-90% of the production year one.

While I am in 100% agreement that we should not resign him at the money he's getting, I think you are over stating the ability of a 3rd round guy to come in year one and replace 80-90% of his production.  The guy was an excellent player for us.