FalconsIn2012

Pick Your Poison - DE

Which Option Do You Prefer If We Spend 18 Mill On DE This Offseason  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Assume Clay & Wilson Are Re-Signed

• Fowler - 25 Years Old
    • Everson Griffen - 32 Years Od
    • Quinn + Irvin

Lots of good debate going on about who should target.  With Everson Griffen now being an option, who is your preference & why.

I still would take Quinn & Irvin but at least there are solid options if TD can turn water into CAP space

Griffen would be a very close second.  Fowler has the highest risk but also the highest reward considering his age

This is a tough one, but I'm kind of intrigued by Griffen on a short 2yr deal.  But here's something to think on as well.  Lets say we sign a DE, would you still draft a DE at 16.  What if Takk could add some weight and we slid him inside beside Grady.  We could pick and plug anywhere with Takk, Grady, Griffen, Rookie DE.  Just a wild thought, it would also give the rookie a SOLID Vet to learn from.

Edited by KCFalcon22

1 minute ago, KCFalcon22 said:

This is a tough one, but I'm kind of intrigued by Griffen on a short 2yr deal.  But here's something to think on as well.  Lets say we sign a DE, would you still draft a DE at 16.  What if Takk could add some weight and we slid him inside beside Grady.  We could pick and plug anywhere with Takk, Grady, Griffen, Rookie DE.  Just a wild thought, it would also give the rookie a SOLID Vet to learn from.

If we go Griffen or Quinn I’d still grab edge early  (next year) and let the vets groom him

I will say none of the above. I say you draft the replacement. I know the Falcons haven't had success in this but they can't keep overpaying for everyone. TD and DQ are all in this year so it makes sense they will sign Fowler. I just hope if they do he doesn't disappoint. 

I don't think Griffen is an option, as I believe someone will offer him big bucks.  The kind of money that Clowney is going for.  Most likely shorter years than Clowney, but similar average per year.  32 is too long in the tooth for us at that amount of money.  

I would gamble on Fowler, and that would allow us to move up in the draft for a Brown or Kinlaw.

1 minute ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

I don't think Griffen is an option, as I believe someone will offer him big bucks.  The kind of money that Clowney is going for.  Most likely shorter years than Clowney, but similar average per year.  32 is too long in the tooth for us at that amount of money.  

I would gamble on Fowler, and that would allow us to move up in the draft for a Brown or Kinlaw.

I truly don't see Minnesota letting him leave without meeting his $ amount.  I'd like Griffen on a short deal but, like you said someone is going to give him a lot.

Fowler playing at 270? Yes please

Pretty sure if signed Quinn would not see as a gamble. If anything he was railroaded and thrown under the bus in JAX by upper management. Would be quickest way to get a bad rep.

2 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

It’s a valid point

If tu want your DL to be nasty and a bit crazy, Takk & Griffen seem an ideal pair

Or it could blow up spectacularly and being around takk for him will be like a heroine junky being in a room full of needles.

I like Griffen and would be excited if he came here, but that's a situation that could turn very ugly in the blink of an eye. You can hide crazy but it doesn't just go away.

22 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

We gonna act like Griffin has no risk when he missed a full season because he went crazy?

yep totally forgot about that.  Maybe we need crazy lol just kidding.

Dante Fowler - Very young, and just had his ‘breakout’ season. Critics can argue this was due to playing alongside Aaron Donald, which could be very true. He’s the most expensive option, but also the one with the highest ceiling. Very high risk, high reward, and he would take the majority of created cap space. 

Everson Griffin - You know what you’re getting with Griffin, and he’d add a great (and much needed) veteran presence to the locker room. His age is a bit of a concern, but he would have an immediate impact on our pass rush, and could be a great leader for a younger pass rusher that we draft. His contract would also leave room for some depth signings. 

Quinn and Irvin - This is the only one I’m not for. You’re getting two average players for the price of one, but they’re not going to have the same potential impact that Fowler or Griffin would. 

After typing this out, I wish I could change my vote to Griffin. As I said above, you know what you’re getting which is a solid pass rush and veteran presence, and there’s very little risk outside of the fact he’s 32. Whereas Fowler might be great one day, he’s only had one impressive season to speak of, and the Falcons aren’t in a position to make high dollar signings on risky players. 

19 minutes ago, dirtybirds233 said:

Dante Fowler - Very young, and just had his ‘breakout’ season. Critics can argue this was due to playing alongside Aaron Donald, which could be very true. He’s the most expensive option, but also the one with the highest ceiling. Very high risk, high reward, and he would take the majority of created cap space. 

Everson Griffin - You know what you’re getting with Griffin, and he’d add a great (and much needed) veteran presence to the locker room. His age is a bit of a concern, but he would have an immediate impact on our pass rush, and could be a great leader for a younger pass rusher that we draft. His contract would also leave room for some depth signings. 

Quinn and Irvin - This is the only one I’m not for. You’re getting two average players for the price of one, but they’re not going to have the same potential impact that Fowler or Griffin would. 

After typing this out, I wish I could change my vote to Griffin. As I said above, you know what you’re getting which is a solid pass rush and veteran presence, and there’s very little risk outside of the fact he’s 32. Whereas Fowler might be great one day, he’s only had one impressive season to speak of, and the Falcons aren’t in a position to make high dollar signings on risky players. 

I’m not concerned about the label that Fowler only had a good season because he was next to Donald.

many of us have been pushing the idea that Grady is one of the best DT’s in the league not named Donald. If Fowler is going to succeed anywhere due to DT play, Atlanta would make sense.

I also am very interested to see Cominsky get some more time. I like the idea of moving Takk inside and giving Fowler/Cominsky/Clayborn the edges.

Edited by Bridgeburner

If cap space isn’t a thing I go for Clowney or Griffin (best overall DE or best pass rusher)

I am growing on the idea of Quinn. He has a solid history of producing (minus a couple years where he had injuries) and he is a good run defender. We could try to from a couple young guys under him (Cominsky and draft picks)

Overall, none of them are currently Falcons so I don’t get worked up on only wanting one particular name. Just PLEASE find the right one. Of these 4-5 rushers hitting FA 2-3 will be good deals, 2-3 won’t. we can’t afford another miss!