Jump to content

Pauline: Falcons wont re-sign Hooper; Want Pass Rusher in FA


Recommended Posts

How much would this cost us.  I'd be interested in knowing what it would take.  Thoughts @FalconsIn2012 and @Knight of God

  • ESPN's Courtney Cronin reports Vikings DE Everson Griffen will void the remainder of his contract.

    Per Cronin, "Griffen met two figures that voided the final three years of his contract (2020-22) by tallying six or more sacks and playing 57% or more of the snaps last season, and he exercised the right to opt out of his deal." The Vikings' stud DE racked up 66 pressures in 2019 and formed one of the league's most-fearsome duos among edge rushers alongside Danielle Hunter. Minnesota has done a great job maintaining continuity on the defensive side of the ball in recent years, but it might cost them a pretty penny to do so this time around.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm not sold on stud but I like him enough. He's had a very slow start to his career and played with Aaron Donald last year

Geez I hope not.  For that money grab Clowney...or Quinn & Irvin

Definitely agree that we shouldn't sign him and just pretend he's the answer. We need pass rushers all over, at multiple positions. The defense still needs to get bombed with picks in the draft even i

Not a fan of Fowler. His only considerable production year came next to one of the best DTs ever. If I had to choose a DE to sign in this FA it would be Yannick Ngakoue. However every DE has a flaw in the FA. Personally, if we are clearing cap to make a splash in FA, I would love for us to go after Byron Jones.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, KCFalcon22 said:

How much would this cost us.  I'd be interested in knowing what it would take.  Thoughts @FalconsIn2012 and @Knight of God

  • ESPN's Courtney Cronin reports Vikings DE Everson Griffen will void the remainder of his contract.

    Per Cronin, "Griffen met two figures that voided the final three years of his contract (2020-22) by tallying six or more sacks and playing 57% or more of the snaps last season, and he exercised the right to opt out of his deal." The Vikings' stud DE racked up 66 pressures in 2019 and formed one of the league's most-fearsome duos among edge rushers alongside Danielle Hunter. Minnesota has done a great job maintaining continuity on the defensive side of the ball in recent years, but it might cost them a pretty penny to do so this time around.

I like Griffen a lot.  He and Quinn would be my target if we can somehow get the money.  But I think Griffen will want 18-20 million.  I think he just got out of a 14 mill APY contract

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I like Griffen a lot.  He and Quinn would be my target if we can somehow get the money.  But I think Griffen will want 18-20 million.  I think he just got out of a 14 mill APY contract

i agree... he would be my target.... i cant see a team playing a dude that turns 33 this year that much money (18 mil) ... But i reallllly like Griffen ... I would def have him in for a meeting.

 

Also with his contract being void... He wouldnt count against our compensatory picks we will most likely get

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, atljbo said:

i agree... he would be my target.... i cant see a team playing a dude that turns 33 this year that much money (18 mil) ... But i reallllly like Griffen ... I would def have him in for a meeting.

 

Also with his contract being void... He wouldnt count against our compensatory picks we will most likely get

Good observation about the comp pick.

At least with Griffen you know what you’re getting for 2-3 years.  If you gamble on Fowler and are right you get a pass rusher for 6-7 years.  But there is the risk Fowler doesn’t meet expectations.  I don’t see a similar risk with Griffen

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, LaurentRobinsonDaGawd said:

Probably would have also had more than 11.5 sacks because most of his 7 split sacks was with donald. ****, he got to the qb as fast as the best DL in the NFL. Averaged a TFL, Sack(solo or assisted), AND a TFL per game last year. Had more TFL than grady(16 to 12)

That works both ways though. Donald takes up so much attention, that he had more opportunities.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I like Griffen a lot.  He and Quinn would be my target if we can somehow get the money.  But I think Griffen will want 18-20 million.  I think he just got out of a 14 mill APY contract

Yeah thats what i'm afraid of.  He would be a **** of an addition, but I know the price tag would be high.  However, he's 32 and Fowler is 25.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, atljbo said:

i agree... he would be my target.... i cant see a team playing a dude that turns 33 this year that much money (18 mil) ... But i reallllly like Griffen ... I would def have him in for a meeting.

 

Also with his contract being void... He wouldnt count against our compensatory picks we will most likely get

Griffen had 58 pressures in his first 11 games last year.  DANG

He had eight sacks, 80 pressures, 43 hurries, and 14 QB hits.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, LaurentRobinsonDaGawd said:

Been saying this for a while. Takk-Grady-Kinlaw-Fowler is DEADLY. Although with all the CB talk from TD, and extra ammunition, I wonder if we trade up for Okudah after possibly signing fowler. Then get BPA between DT, LB and RB in 2nd and 3rd(assuming a 2nd and 4th is enough to move up for okudah; may even cost less)

This is very possible.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Good observation about the comp pick.

At least with Griffen you know what you’re getting for 2-3 years.  If you gamble on Fowler and are right you get a pass rusher for 6-7 years.  But there is the risk Fowler doesn’t meet expectations.

i fully agree.... I know Arthur Blank probably lean towards the younger guy because of the future aspect..... But yea... i reallllly like Griffen... I think he has atleast 2 or 3 years.... explosive and strong *** ****.

I do know he had that mental issue a year ago which will be seen as a con.

 

This is going to be interesting tho..... We will have options

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 pages of comments on Fowler and he isn't mentioned once in this article/comment by Pauline. I know he mentioned earlier Fowler could want to be here, but we've never heard anything about what the Falcons want in a pass rusher. Not saying it won't happen but pump the brakes!

I get moving on from Hooper but will sad to see him go. With Sanu gone, Hooper was definitely Ryan's go-to guy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jfalconsp said:

7 pages of comments on Fowler and he isn't mentioned once in this article/comment by Pauline. I know he mentioned earlier Fowler could want to be here, but we've never heard anything about what the Falcons want in a pass rusher. Not saying it won't happen but pump the brakes!

I get moving on from Hooper but will sad to see him go. With Sanu gone, Hooper was definitely Ryan's go-to guy.

Given our LONG histroy with failed DE's we have drafted or signed as FA's I'd rather keep Hooper and build our pass rush through the interior DL positions.

This is a team DE's go to die not thrive.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MAD597 said:

So we are going to draft/sign another high priced/high pick DE and hope they don't bust like the last 2 recent ones in the draft and pretty much ALL the ones we have signed in FA recently and then let a top 5 25 year old TE walk out the door?

Until this team figures out you are never going to draft or sign a single pass rushing savior our pass rush will always fail.

Build the interior DL, and when a player like Hooper that you draft actually does pan out and shows great work ethic and improves year on year don't let them walk. We have not had a decent TE since TG retired we finally draft one and let him walk.

We are NOT a single DE away from being a good pass rushing team, the scheme and personnel on the interior have to change.

This front office is so short sighted and inept at building trenches it is ridiculous.

This is a seriously bad post.  Consistently crying about the trenches, and Fowler would definitely be an upgrade. This team has holes, so they need to do something. Grabbing a DE in FA makes a lot of sense, because then they can focus on a DT, CB, LB, S in the draft.  You can't fill all of your holes via the draft.

This team is offense heavy, and in order to make the defense better, some tough decisions have to be made.  Love Hooper, but I've been saying all along that we can't pay him top TE money and improve the defense.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, atljbo said:

i fully agree.... I know Arthur Blank probably lean towards the younger guy because of the future aspect..... But yea... i reallllly like Griffen... I think he has atleast 2 or 3 years.... explosive and strong *** ****.

I do know he had that mental issue a year ago which will be seen as a con.

 

This is going to be interesting tho..... We will have options

Options are nice.  I just started a poll about those options.  Let’s see what the board thinks

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, atljbo said:

I get that but if the Packers went by that theory... They wouldnt have signed either of the Smith (Preston Smith or ZaDarious Smith)......

Za was coming off a 8.5 sack season (3.5 sacks the year before that) when the Packers signed him (16. mil a year) ... This year he had 13.5 sacks

Preston was coming off a 4 sack season (8 sacks the year before that) when the Packers signed him (13 mil a year)... This year he had 12 sacks

 

So you are banking on him just hitting his stride... That in this deal at 25 he can go from being a good DE to a Great DE

It is a gamble on a bit of miss.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Francis York Morgan said:

First three years, not 4. Lost year 1 to injury. And he had just 7 starts those 3 years...so let's not act like he was getting tons of opportunity. This was the first year he got to start full time.

 

Injured or not a year counts as a year. A top 5 pick not starting until year 5 is worrisome. He was also on a very good Rams defense this year. His job will be much tougher in Atlanta. I get the homer feeling that he could become a Falcon. I'm doubtful he can live up to the contract he will get. I'm always skeptical of players that break out in contract year and rightfully so. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...