Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jfalconsp

NFL Playoff Structure to Be Changed

Under the current proposal that is expected to take effect in the new CBA when it is done, seven teams from each conference will qualify for the playoffs instead of the six that currently do. In addition, only one team from each conference will receive a first-round bye as opposed to the two that currently do, league sources said.

The changes to the NFL's playoff format would take effect immediately for the 2020 season.

"That's been agreed to for a long time," one source familiar with the CBA talks said about the NFL's new playoff structure. "There wasn't a lot of disagreement to that issue."

Additionally, the players on the teams that earn a first-round bye will receive postseason pay for that weekend. That was not the case under the current CBA, which has always rankled some players.

Now the sides are trying to work through the final issues, including getting the players to sign off on a 17-game regular season. That has yet to be agreed to, and would not take effect until 2021 at the earliest.

"The new CBA's not done, there's no term sheet yet, there still are issues being negotiated, but I'd be very surprised if there's not a new CBA for the new league year," the source said.

I like it. And I’ll get hated on for this but I wouldn’t mind if they did away with divisions either. The absolute 7 best get in and if there was any way to do it, I would make a schedule where you only play your conferences teams. 

The absolute best 7 teams in each conference make it. 

Just now, 32wood84white said:

I like it. And I’ll get hated on for this but I wouldn’t mind if they did away with divisions either. The absolute 7 best get in and if there was any way to do it, I would make a schedule where you only play your conferences teams. 

The absolute best 7 teams in each conference make it. 

If you do that you may as well eliminate playing division teams 2x a year too.

Pretty much half of the league will now be playoff contenders.

Soon the NFL will be talking about adding more expansion teams. The way the NFL format is going, we'll see some international expansion teams in the UK, Mexico, and Canada.

36 minutes ago, Norwood all the way! said:

How would they determine the 7th team? There  always seems to be a few instances where a 10+ win team doesn't make the playoffs while an inferior one does because of the way it's structured. 

The same way the first six are determined, except each conference will have three wildcard teams instead of two.

55 minutes ago, Norwood all the way! said:

How would they determine the 7th team? There  always seems to be a few instances where a 10+ win team doesn't make the playoffs while an inferior one does because of the way it's structured. 

When has a 10 win team been left out vs a team with less wins?