Should we keep De'Vondre Campbell?

Falcons Fan MVP

Depends on our draft priorities, we want a guy that is good in coverage to pair with Jones but we also need to save money. We definitely need more LBs so shedding guys and replacing them in FA seems counterproductive at a price point and we need more than one guy if he is cut so we would need multiple less talented FAs. Unless we are drafting a LB high in the top 4 pics I dont see how we can cut him. 

I think it all depends on value, and if we can retain Campbell on a market even deal.  I think Dre will have options, but I don't think he will break the bank.  He has played well in spurts, and the last half of the season, like our defense, he played very well.  He has been able to stay healthy, and he brings better than average coverage skills as a 3 down backer.

If we can get him on a 3-4 year team friendly deal, it would ease the fears on what Neal could bring to the table as a matchup to TE's.  If we lose Dre, and Neal can't come in and be serviceable, there are 2 significant holes we have to replace after the draft and FA.

Campbell plays SLB

Foye is a WLB & doesn’t really have the frame to play SLB

Even if you moved Foye over to take over Campbell’s SLB spot, you then would still need to bring in someone to fill Foye’s old WLB spot.

IMO the smarter thing would be to leave Foye at WLB, let Campbell walk, and draft Malik Harrison from Ohio State (who is a d@mn near perfect SLB in this scheme) to replace Campbell.

34 minutes ago, papachaz said:

personally, I'll take 'light in the back pockets and in position' over 'stout and usually way more lost' every single time.

Especially LB. That's such an instinctual spot and what I've hated about Campbell. People kept pointing to potential and flashes, but he's ALWAYS lost. Then gets mad on Twitter lol