Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Beef

Hawks Dream Scenario

Assuming we do NOT get Wiseman or Edwards and end up with a pick somewhere between 6-10, this is what my dream scenario for the Hawks would look like after this season:

PG: Trae | Teague | Goodwin

SG: Reddish | Huerter | Tyler Bey

SF: Hunter | Reddish | Tyler Bey

PF: Giannis | Collins

C: Capela | Dedmon | Vernon Carey Jr.

Obviously this means we traded back with our likely top-10 pick and got 2 mid-round picks, as well as obviously signing Giannis to a big deal.  And no, I'm not going to continually spell out his last name.  F that. LOL  This also assumes we re-sign Teague again as he's a UFA after this season.  BUT, I think Teague likes it here.  He knows he's a backup now and he's still getting good minutes.  Wish he was scoring more, but he's a decent facilitator, plus Goodwin has become a pretty good handcuff who we just extended.

Skal could be an option somewhere in there too, but he's basically Damian Jones 2.0 at this point (gone with the wind after this season), and frankly, his upside in our lineup is completely unknown still, so not worrying about him.  Also I'm not really sure about the longterm viability of Bruno Fernando.  He's really struggling to find his place here, and we just loaded up on Centers, plus Dedmon will very likely get more time at the 4 and 5 to spell Collins and Capela once Capela comes back.  Hate it for Bruno, but he's essentially an injury handcuff at this point and will probably get more time in the G-league than up here.  Especially if Skal shows out in our system.  As a result, I'm taking him out of the equation because I just don't see him stepping on the floor for us after this season unless there's an injury.  Remember, this is a projection for NEXT season, not this current one.

As for the draft picks, Tyler Bey is probably the best wing defender in this draft.  He's a much better version of Bembry as he can actually shoot and isn't a maniac with the ball in his hands.  Bembry's time is up.  Dude can play great D on a 1/2/3 star when needed, but he turns our offense into mush when he's on the floor and is clearly a square peg trying to fit in a round hole.

Vernon Carey Jr. is the Center we can groom for a couple years behind Capela.  Kid is an absolute beastly rebounder and rim protector, as well as potential to score from everywhere on the floor with some work.  He's another Andre Drummond in the making.

And here would be our lineups throughout games:

Starting Set (maybe 20-24 mins a game):

1. Trae

2. Reddish

3. Hunter

4. Giannis

5. Capela

Spells as needed:

1. Teague or Goodwin

2. Huerter

3. Bey

4. Collins

5. Dedmon or Carey

Scoring Set (maybe 8-12 mins a game):

1. Trae

2. Huerter

3. Hunter or Reddish

4. Giannis

5. Collins

Defensive Set (maybe 2-6 mins a game):

1. Reddish

2. Bey

3. Hunter

4. Giannis

5. Capela or Carey

And here's their average minutes played, and separated by position:

PG: Trae (~30m) - 1~30m

PG: Teague (~16m) - 1~16m

PG/SG/SF: Reddish (~28m) - 1~2m; 2~21m; 3~5m

SG: Huerter (~21m) - 2~21m

SG/SF: Bey (~17m) - 2~4m; 3~13m

SF: Hunter (~30m) - 3~30m

PF: Giannis (~30m) - 4~30m

PF/C: Collins (~28m) - 4~18m; 5~10m

C: Capela (~28m) - 5~28m

C: Dedmon (~6m) - 5~6m

C: Carey (~4m) - 5~4m

As you can see, I really want to keep everyone at 30 minutes or less.  I really believe this would be the solution to our defensive woes.  Fewer minutes played so more effort and energy can be expelled for defense.  And there are enough scorers always on the floor that lopsided runs or large blocks of dead scoring minutes should be a thing of the past.

We would have a bonafide starting corps that can both put up points and play serious D to set the tone of games, plus a killer scoring set that allows us to step on throats and put games out of reach, plus an insane defensive set that allows us to lock teams down in tight games where we're ahead or games we simply need to demoralize the other team and beat them before its even over.

I think we could win a championship with that roster.  Not sure if it's even possible though as we'd have to probably go into lux tax to sign anyone after getting Giannis on a max deal and locking up Collins to anything longterm.

Our window is 2021-2024.  4 years.  After that, the gang is probably splitting up and we're trying to replace at least 2 of our cogs at 2/3/4, not to mention signing Trae to a likely max deal.

Needless to say, we have to make our big push for a max deal superstar after this season, and I really hope we can be enticing enough for a guy like Giannis.

Edited by Beef

10 minutes ago, GEORGIAfan said:

IMO, Giannis would be a Center on our team and couldn't work with Capela. He needs floor spacers. 

I don't know, there's a lot of teams out there with multiple rim protectors who are flexible scorers.

I mean he already plays with the Lopez brothers.  I'd imagine with us being a pick-n-roll team, he'd love it if he wasn't the only rebounder on the squad and could spread out more and wait for lanes to open up.

And we have floor spacers.  Trae already draws defenders 30' out, and our wings are becoming reliable threats on the corners.  Collins is even taking shots outside while Jones and Fernando work the roll sometimes.

You need to read that article that explains how Collins can coexist with Capela.  There's no reason that same logic can't be applied to Giannis.

2 hours ago, Beef said:

I don't know, there's a lot of teams out there with multiple rim protectors who are flexible scorers.

I mean he already plays with the Lopez brothers.  I'd imagine with us being a pick-n-roll team, he'd love it if he wasn't the only rebounder on the squad and could spread out more and wait for lanes to open up.

And we have floor spacers.  Trae already draws defenders 30' out, and our wings are becoming reliable threats on the corners.  Collins is even taking shots outside while Jones and Fernando work the roll sometimes.

You need to read that article that explains how Collins can coexist with Capela.  There's no reason that same logic can't be applied to Giannis.

Lopez Bros can space the floor. They aren't strict need to be around the basket guys like Capela. Lanes don't open up when one guy has to be in the dunker spot to be effective(See Embiid + Simmons). 

You don't get Giannis and hope they can coexist. Collins isn't that player yet to command that, so he has to learn to coexist. If someone doesn't fit with Giannis, you let that guy go. You don't sign someone like Giannis and tell them to coexist. You trade for assets to max his potential/skills. It is like drafting Garland over Hunter. Trae and Garland could learn to coexist, but you aren't maxing trae by doing so. 

1 hour ago, GEORGIAfan said:

Lopez Bros can space the floor. They aren't strict need to be around the basket guys like Capela. Lanes don't open up when one guy has to be in the dunker spot to be effective(See Embiid + Simmons). 

You don't get Giannis and hope they can coexist. Collins isn't that player yet to command that, so he has to learn to coexist. If someone doesn't fit with Giannis, you let that guy go. You don't sign someone like Giannis and tell them to coexist. You trade for assets to max his potential/skills. It is like drafting Garland over Hunter. Trae and Garland could learn to coexist, but you aren't maxing trae by doing so. 

Uhh, I'm not sure when it supposedly became taboo to have 2 guys who dominate the paint and boards on the floor at the same time, but that's just silly talk.

It's not like Giannis can't spread the floor.  24% of his shots are from 3pt, 35% are from 10'+, and only 49% are actually at the basket. And even then, only 16% of his attempts are dunks.  And he's still scoring 30ppg with an effective fg rate of 59%.

One of the reasons our defense is so horrible is because of our lack of rebounding.  I mean we look like we get a lot of rebounds, but that's only because we let our opponents take an astronomical number of shots compared to most teams in the league... because we don't get first chance rebounds.  ESPECIALLY on offense.

It honestly wouldn't hurt to have two bigs who can bully balls off the boards.  So what if Giannis scores 27 instead of 30, and Capela scores 12 instead of 15.  If we're holding teams under 110ppg while we score 112, mission accomplished.

Edited by Beef

2 hours ago, Beef said:

Uhh, I'm not sure when it supposedly became taboo to have 2 guys who dominate the paint and boards on the floor at the same time, but that's just silly talk.

It's not like Giannis can't spread the floor.  24% of his shots are from 3pt, 35% are from 10'+, and only 49% are actually at the basket. And even then, only 16% of his attempts are dunks.  And he's still scoring 30ppg with an effective fg rate of 59%.

One of the reasons our defense is so horrible is because of our lack of rebounding.  I mean we look like we get a lot of rebounds, but that's only because we let our opponents take an astronomical number of shots compared to most teams in the league... because we don't get first chance rebounds.  ESPECIALLY on offense.

It honestly wouldn't hurt to have two bigs who can bully balls off the boards.  So what if Giannis scores 27 instead of 30, and Capela scores 12 instead of 15.  If we're holding teams under 110ppg while we score 112, mission accomplished.

About the same time as when the Rockets traded their only center and when the guy leading the league in rebounding, who is still in his prime, was traded for a used lollipop and toenail clippings. 

It isn't about what Giannis can do. It is about what we need to do to maximize him. As I said, Trae could learn to play next to another ball dominant small guard, but that isn't going to maximize him. Trae and Giannis are elite players Capela is not. No sane team is going to put their star players in unoptimal positions to hamper the success. 

Collins and Giannis as a backcourt can handle rebounding. We will also have Dedmon, who is an ideal fit next two both of them. 

I am really not sure why you care about keeping capela on this team if we get Giannis. I like Capela, but if he cannot fit next to Giannis, he has to go. We can find other bigs to complement Giannis. 

1 hour ago, GEORGIAfan said:

About the same time as when the Rockets traded their only center and when the guy leading the league in rebounding, who is still in his prime, was traded for a used lollipop and toenail clippings. 

It isn't about what Giannis can do. It is about what we need to do to maximize him. As I said, Trae could learn to play next to another ball dominant small guard, but that isn't going to maximize him. Trae and Giannis are elite players Capela is not. No sane team is going to put their star players in unoptimal positions to hamper the success. 

Collins and Giannis as a backcourt can handle rebounding. We will also have Dedmon, who is an ideal fit next two both of them. 

I am really not sure why you care about keeping capela on this team if we get Giannis. I like Capela, but if he cannot fit next to Giannis, he has to go. We can find other bigs to complement Giannis. 

We’re just going to have to agree to disagree, I guess.

This FO and coaching staff is very obviously trying to turn Collins into precisely the same thing Giannis currently is, and they just traded for Capela for the purpose of developing Collins next to that guy.

Every single thing Giannis can do, pick-n-roll, slash from the elbow, stop-n-pop short game, fast-breaks, set screens, give-n-go, space and pass, hit 3’s, putbacks, rim defend, secure rebounds, switch, guard mid to perimeter on shooting 4/5’s, blockout, bang with bigs for position... they want EXACTLY this too from Collins.

I mean by your logic, Collins can’t coexist with Capela if he improves at the 4 and develops into what they want/hope for.

But they clearly have a system in place, or believe they do, where a Giannis type player at the 4 is supposed to fit with a Capela type player at the 5.

So you can armchair definitives all ya like, but this organization clearly disagrees with you. Not just me.