People Are Overthinking Delpit

FalconsIn2012

If he is there at 16, run to the podium.  I don’t care about a few missed tackles.  He made drastic improvements on his tackling this year which is all I can ask.  Dude isn’t playing in the box so tackling isn’t all that important.  He will aim low and hold on until help arrives.  But when moving forward and attacking he plays like Thomas & Berry.

If we play lots of single high on 2019, Delpit is a no brainer 

ANALYST'S REPORTS

Marino

Harris

Crabbs

PROS: He’s an animal playing forward. Confidently drives on the football in click and close situations and he has a quick trigger when attacking downhill against the run, especially when lined up in the box. Incredibly versatile with upside in man and zone coverage. Has strong pattern mirroring skills from the slot and his length really shows up when closing on the ball against quick game. Definitely checks the box with his ball skills - he’s sound a securing takeaways and disrupting at the catch point. Always punching/raking at the football to try and separate it from the ball carrier. Showcases good range to cover ground and close down distances. Has proven to be an effective blitzer with good timing, physicality and effort. Very intelligent player who processes quickly and always finds himself around the football. Became a much more consistent tackler in 2019, arriving under better control, aiming low and wrapping up. Hitting power and contact balance are excellent. Love his ability to navigate through tight quarters and knife through traffic in pursuit. Quick feet, smooth and athletic for his size. Can lineup virtually anywhere in the back seven. 

CONS: While 2019 was better, it’s still difficult to forget about all the whiffs in 2018 that carried over a bit although much improved. Can be a touch loose with zone coverage spacing and he needs to be more consistent trusting his landmarks. 

BEST TRAIT - Trigger, Physicality

WORST TRAIT - Tackling

RED FLAGS - None

NFL COMP - Eric Berry

Grant Delpit was one of the SEC’s most dynamic defensive playmakers across his final two seasons in Baton Rouge, earning First-Team All-SEC recognition in consecutive seasons, unanimous All-American honors and claiming the Jim Thorpe Award in 2019 as the nation’s best defensive back. Delpit brings a lot to the table and he projects favorably to becoming a high-impact safety in the NFL. He’s versatile, physical, urgent, smart, athletic and his skill set is perfect for matching up against the pace and space present in today’s NFL offenses. Tackling has been a notable wart in Delpit’s film but he improved considerably in 2019, playing with more control and wrapping up with more consistency. Delpit’s presence will make an NFL scheme more multiple and there just isn’t anything he can’t do on the field. He has the upside to become one of the best players at his position by Year Three with the upside to start right away. 

FINAL EVALUATION  

I don’t have an issue with him but you’re not going to convince anyone against the thought when they see tackling is his worst attribute and has been the Falcons worst attribute for years now. There’s too much “film” of him getting knocked down that people will use in their argument against him. 

That said, I just want the best pass rusher available at 16 :D

6 minutes ago, Refried Beans said:

Too much DL depth to pick a Safety who will be there 2nd round. Falcons brass cant whiff on the pick this year, not after the egg on their face from VB and Takk. This year's pick better start right away and produce. 

Pick the best FS at 16 and then pick either Gallimore, Blacklock, Mbeduike at #47 and Taylor/Helaire/Moss at 54

2 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Pick the best FS at 16 and then pick either Gallimore, Blacklock, Mbeduike at #47 and Taylor/Helaire/Moss at 54

Xavier McKinney and Antionne Winfield Jr. both available 2nd round, just as good if not better than Delpit. Safety role not as important in todays NFL game with current rules set up. Rather see us trade up for Kinlaw, Stay put for Epensa, trade back for Biadasz. 

2 minutes ago, Refried Beans said:

Xavier McKinney and Antionne Winfield Jr. both available 2nd round, just as good if not better than Delpit. Safety role not as important in todays NFL game with current rules set up. Rather see us trade up for Kinlaw, Stay put for Epensa, trade back for Biadasz. 

Holy ****. +1 for you actually quoting someone properly. Proud of you for that alone

5 minutes ago, Refried Beans said:

I like Winnfield but McKinney would replace Neal.  I’d just assume wait a round and draft Duggar for that role

Delpit

Blacklock

Helaire

Duggar

Brooks (not likely here in 4th)

Highsmith

Chinn

Those are all impact picks

3 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

McKinney can play any spot in the secondary and even some linebacker. He's not quite minkah Fitzpatrick but hes close.

I like him...I just think Delpit is more dynamic.  Do we really want Rico at 7.5 mill this year and 8.5 mill next year?  And I’m an ardent Rico supporter.

4 minutes ago, Clark Kent™ said:

Worst trait: Tackling

If you are trying to push the table for a player you should have definitely left that out. How many worst trait tacklers were taking as first rounders? Probably not a whole helluva a lot. 

All his other traits are exceptional...he is similar to ET coming out

1 minute ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I like him...I just think Delpit is more dynamic.  Do we really want Rico at 7 mill?  And I’m an ardent Rico supporter.

At least Rico is on the field. We need to figure something out for Neal first. We've scrambled for solutions to replace Neal the past two years to no avail. Rico goes down kazee steps in. Neal goes down yet again the defense goes to **** yet again

5 minutes ago, Clark Kent™ said:

Worst trait: Tackling

If you are trying to push the table for a player you should have definitely left that out. How many worst trait tacklers were taking as first rounders? Probably not a whole helluva a lot. 

One guess whose scouting report this is:

Run Support: Gives a good effort supporting the run, but doesn’t have the size to always be a factor. Breaks on the ball really well. Not much more than a help player against the inside run. Doesn’t have the size to shoot through gaps in the middle and can be manhandled by guards and centers. Does a nice job of working the outside run.

1 minute ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

At least Rico is on the field. We need to figure something out for Neal first. We've scrambled for solutions to replace Neal the past two years to no avail. Rico goes down kazee steps in. Neal goes down yet again the defense goes to **** yet again

And I will say this: our pass defense was top 8 the final 9 weeks of the year.  We honestly only got shredded in 4 games.  Remove Arizona, TB & HOU games  and the defense as a whole was fine

@FalconsIn2012 Don't get me wrong I love LSU players and would love nothing more than see a Falcons defense loaded with defensive players from LSU, however I think the Safety position is the least of our worries. I would say interior DL to help Grady is most pressing need, then Outside LB, DE, CB, C, and RB. 

Right now opinion of him is polarising.

I’ve seen projections of him going as high as top 8 players picked to the late 20s in the latest mock I’ve seen.

I think most teams who need a safety no exactly what he is so for me it matters naught about opinions on him.

If you need a safety in the first round he’s a guy your certainly looking at if not taking.

19 minutes ago, Refried Beans said:

S isnt important? Past SB champions have had an awesome S.

Mccourty 2x

Tyrann

Jenkins

Reed

Earl and Kam

12 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

One guess whose scouting report this is:

Run Support: Gives a good effort supporting the run, but doesn’t have the size to always be a factor. Breaks on the ball really well. Not much more than a help player against the inside run. Doesn’t have the size to shoot through gaps in the middle and can be manhandled by guards and centers. Does a nice job of working the outside run.

Earl Thomas and its still true. He isnt great in run support.

1 minute ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Because Rico can be upgraded.  As much as I like Rico and respect him, the value isn’t there at 8 mill.  Not when our CAP is in such a bad place

He creates more dead cap than cap space cutting him this year. Then we have a rookie and a one legged man at safety and you just cut one of the few leaders on the team.