Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
1989Fan

Mock draft using DraftNetwork simulator, FA thoughts

So I don’t post these often. So here is my one and only.

a couple scenarios I used when doing this draft.

1) Free is gone

2) Carpenter is gone, Brown is as well if we can trade his contract

3) We sign a top DE - Clowney (unlikely), Nassib (my preference), Ngakoue (likely tagged), Fowler or Quinn

4) Davison is brought back for DT rotation.

so here is my draft:

1. Tristen Whirfs - IF he would fall you just take him. Likely not a chance, but he was there so I ‘ran to the podium’. An absolute monster inside, and played RT very well also. He is Zach Martin good as a guard IMO. Kinlaw was gone, passed on Epenesa and YGM for Whirfs. Would be the final piece to finally having a dominant line, having 2 elite guards under rookie deals to finish out the Matt/Julio years is great.

2. Zach Baun, Edge/OLB (WIS) - flexible player who can rush the passer and play in coverage. Stiff for a pure edge guy, but always produces. See him in Campbell role, with more rush ability. I made this pick not 100% sold, due to really liking some of the prospects I passed on for Baun. (Uche, Blacklock, Ockwara)

2. Justin Madubuike, DT (TA&M) - one of my favorite tier 2 DTs. Blacklock and Gallimore gone who I would have taken if there. Plays a good game, just runs hot and cold it appears.

3. JK Dobbins, RB (OSU) - didn’t expect him here, figured to be zeroing in on Moss or Akers here, but got a gift.

4. K’Von Wallace, SS (CLEM) SS to provide depth which we didn’t have, obvious by seeing Rico there. He can play all over, is a smart player, but SS best fit (IMO), not a deep centerfield.

5. Harrison Bryant, TE (FL ATL) - athletic prospect, strictly a move TE, could also put in motion for size mismatches. Good Hands, works seams well. Didn’t face top comp at FL Atlantic.

7. Levonta Taylor, CB (FSU) - was a top HS recruit in the nation. Played well for FSU. not ideal height, and doesn’t play any bigger. Could be a nice NB option should Sheffield be moved outside.

overall, I would be very happy w the potential of this draft. Thoughts are welcome, just be nice (I’m fragile) :lol:

good work but we got to pass on another olineman early, we have huge needs on the other side. drafted 2 in the first last year and hopefully Caleb will be fine but taking another top 20 would be a mistake in my opinion

5 hours ago, UGABOZ said:

good work but we got to pass on another olineman early, we have huge needs on the other side. drafted 2 in the first last year and hopefully Caleb will be fine but taking another top 20 would be a mistake in my opinion

Usually I would agree, but Whirfs fell in the simulator, and he is IMO the best overall O-lineman in the class if he plays guard. Mean Iowa SOB, like Scherff was. As was mentioned, champion wrestler as well. Having he and Linstrom in the middle would be great. 

Getting 2 DL in round two on top of a UFA signing or two would stack up the line some.

thanks for the feedback.

2 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

Madubuike and Gallimore are the new flavors of the board I see. That must mean they aren’t popular. 

i definitely like both.. i would love to have both on the team prefer either one with Kinlaw.. i just think we should double dip and save that Davison money on resigning him.. he was solid dont get me wrong, but i think the top seven DTs have more upside IMO... i think we can get a good quality edge in any round before the 5th and still snag one in free agency...if we go this route also take the highest rb or tight end with that 1st or 2nd 2nd round pick.

15 minutes ago, GATXBOI said:

i definitely like both.. i would love to have both on the team prefer either one with Kinlaw.. i just think we should double dip and save that Davison money on resigning him.. he was solid dont get me wrong, but i think the top seven DTs have more upside IMO... i think we can get a good quality edge in any round before the 5th and still snag one in free agency...if we go this route also take the highest rb or tight end with that 1st or 2nd 2nd round pick.

Lol

We will not likely trade Brown's contract.  In all likelihood, he will be one of our starting OG's at the beginning of the season.  

This draft is long on DT talent and short on edge rushers.  We might get lucky with a little-known LB prospect, but Braun is not that guy.  He is simply to stiff.  That was fine in the Big 10, but not for the NFL.  Judging from the little film I have seen of him, he would not have been remarkable in the SEC.  I like his attitude, but would go elsewhere for talent.

If Wirfs is on the board by #16, I would rejoice and trade down with a team desperate for OL talent.  Yes, we are also desperate for OL talent, but I would trade down for another second rounder and go to town.   

6 hours ago, GATXBOI said:

would anyone dislike or like if the falcons double dipped at DT with our 1st 3 picks

We must double dip on DT in the first couple of rounds. We keep trying and failing to hit that Edge rusher homerun with an interior DL that will make sure any edge rusher fails here.

1 hour ago, MAD597 said:

We must double dip on DT in the first couple of rounds. We keep trying and failing to hit that Edge rusher homerun with an interior DL that will make sure any edge rusher fails here.

yea i think the only way that works if we trade out of the first

2 hours ago, MAD597 said:

Why MUST we double dip at.DT? Davison is good enough of a 2 down 1/0 tech.

16 hours ago, UGABOZ said:

Why if ore a need when the most important position group after QB is oline?

14 hours ago, Knight of God said:

Madubuike and Gallimore are the new flavors of the board I see. That must mean they aren’t popular. 

Well, (almost) everyone wants a DT and there are only so many that are considered round 2-3 guys. Haven’t seen his name any more than other DTs so not sure why you have an issue. Enough mocks are done around here that you will see almost all DTs listed at some point.

12 hours ago, etherdome said:

We will not likely trade Brown's contract.  In all likelihood, he will be one of our starting OG's at the beginning of the season.  

This draft is long on DT talent and short on edge rushers.  We might get lucky with a little-known LB prospect, but Braun is not that guy.  He is simply to stiff.  That was fine in the Big 10, but not for the NFL.  Judging from the little film I have seen of him, he would not have been remarkable in the SEC.  I like his attitude, but would go elsewhere for talent.

If Wirfs is on the board by #16, I would rejoice and trade down with a team desperate for OL talent.  Yes, we are also desperate for OL talent, but I would trade down for another second rounder and go to town.   

IMO, the drop from SEC to Big10 isn’t what it used to be, especially w lineman. I agree some w the rest of your concern. Baun definitely works better at LB, not in the 3 point trying to get around the edge. He could still be very productive rushing standing up, blitzing,  etc.

i hear you on the trade down, but wasn’t an option in the simulator and I sure as heck am not paying for the deluxe membership to be able to trade in the mocks (though it would be really cool option).

thanks for the feedback. :tiphat:

11 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

Well, (almost) everyone wants a DT and there are only so many that are considered round 2-3 guys. Haven’t seen his name any more than other DTs so not sure why you have an issue. Enough mocks are done around here that you will see almost all DTs listed at some point.

No issue. I just think it’s funny

22 hours ago, 1989Fan said:

So I don’t post these often. So here is my one and only.

a couple scenarios I used when doing this draft.

1) Free is gone

2) Carpenter is gone, Brown is as well if we can trade his contract

3) We sign a top DE - Clowney (unlikely), Nassib (my preference), Ngakoue (likely tagged), Fowler or Quinn

4) Davison is brought back for DT rotation.

so here is my draft:

1. Tristen Whirfs - IF he would fall you just take him. Likely not a chance, but he was there so I ‘ran to the podium’. An absolute monster inside, and played RT very well also. He is Zach Martin good as a guard IMO. Kinlaw was gone, passed on Epenesa and YGM for Whirfs. Would be the final piece to finally having a dominant line, having 2 elite guards under rookie deals to finish out the Matt/Julio years is great.

2. Zach Baun, Edge/OLB (WIS) - flexible player who can rush the passer and play in coverage. Stiff for a pure edge guy, but always produces. See him in Campbell role, with more rush ability. I made this pick not 100% sold, due to really liking some of the prospects I passed on for Baun. (Uche, Blacklock, Ockwara)

2. Justin Madubuike, DT (TA&M) - one of my favorite tier 2 DTs. Blacklock and Gallimore gone who I would have taken if there. Plays a good game, just runs hot and cold it appears.

3. JK Dobbins, RB (OSU) - didn’t expect him here, figured to be zeroing in on Moss or Akers here, but got a gift.

4. K’Von Wallace, SS (CLEM) SS to provide depth which we didn’t have, obvious by seeing Rico there. He can play all over, is a smart player, but SS best fit (IMO), not a deep centerfield.

5. Harrison Bryant, TE (FL ATL) - athletic prospect, strictly a move TE, could also put in motion for size mismatches. Good Hands, works seams well. Didn’t face top comp at FL Atlantic.

7. Levonta Taylor, CB (FSU) - was a top HS recruit in the nation. Played well for FSU. not ideal height, and doesn’t play any bigger. Could be a nice NB option should Sheffield be moved outside.

overall, I would be very happy w the potential of this draft. Thoughts are welcome, just be nice (I’m fragile) :lol:

What happens to Austin Hooper in your simulator? Is Harrison Bryant his replacement? 

1 hour ago, Vandy said:

Can’t sign Edge FA (such as Fowler) if you keep Hooper. 

Graham + Bryant are the TEs.

Correct. And Bryant in round 5 would be a steal. He could be a round three guy.

if they don’t invest in Hooper, then IMO they don’t invest heavy in the position. Focus more on running and the wealth of WR talent on the team.

13 minutes ago, Fernando C. said:

I think we need to get Delpit.. and grab our DL with our 2 seconds.. the value in DL is in the 2nd.... but we need a S in the worst way...

We have 2 starting FS already and Neal will likely play his fifth year option out. I could see taking one in mid rounds because we have zero SS depth.

Wouldn’t hate a safety, but we are definitely thinner at all other levels of the defense. If we went S in round 1, I like McKinney - can play that box role or in coverage. I just can’t see player value and need equating to a safety pick in round 1.

it will all depend on how free agency pans out though...not that we can make many splashes.