Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
basscass

Jalen Hurts at #55

I have done a couple of mocks and it just seems to me that I keep going back to Jalen Hurts at 55.   I know we need help now problems everywhere on defense.  But I just keep saying he is the best player left at pick 55.   Most on here will probable think I am crazy, but I just couldn't pass up on the chance to get  QB of future.   Matt needs some pushing.  I also think we could be creative getting him in plays this year.  Letting a guy sit and learn for a year or two is a good thing.  Oh well it was just another thought as I go through the draft process.

Thoughts?

Edited by basscass

It would all depend who is on the board when it's our pick. With the help we need DT,DE,LB,CB,SS,OG,TE,WR,FB,RB we have alot of options to choose from, before we think QB. I just dont think this is the year to look at a QB. Next year yes. After we try and fix some of the holes we have.

(TE) depending on Hooper

(WR) is the #3 wideout who can become a #2

If he were only in the draft...then this would make sense. Wait, no it wouldn’t because he would be a first rounder...oh, it still wouldn’t because with this teams needs, you don’t draft a QB in round 1 to push a franchise QB that isn’t that old in QB years...:sadwave:

Unless there is another Justin Fields, he's not eligible to declare until the 2021 draft. Even then he's likely a top 5 pick.

But sure... If Justin Fields were in this draft and if he was somehow miraculously available at #55 then this would be a good idea

1 minute ago, DirtyBirdKHAOS said:

We NeEd A qB tO pUsH RyAn..... I dont understand the Ryan hate on this board. Best QB we have had in years and you hate him because he dont take off running.

It’s more than him not taking off running to many of these posters.

33 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

It’s more than him not taking off running to many of these posters.

I am a Matt Ryan fan.  HOF for sure in my eyes, but lets face it he not gonna play forever.  Just because someone has an idea to draft a QB for the future you now it all's go crazy about the no love for Matt Ryan.  

He doesn't work through his progressions so that's a huge difference between him and Lamar coming out. He also pulls his eyes down when the rush is coming hot and at that point generally only looks to scramble which is another big difference between the two coming out. Lamar would keep his eyes down field.

He's not a great fit for us. A lot of his success came from scheme and he's definitely not getting that here lol. 

I'm not doubting that he could be successful with the right franchise but the constant comparisons to what Lamar has done is unwarranted in my opinion. Their similarities are mainly that they're mobile, have good poise, can improvise off schedule, and have good character. Lamar coming out was way ahead of Hurts as a passer, much faster, more agile, and performed well with worse talent around him.

1 hour ago, basscass said:

I am a Matt Ryan fan.  HOF for sure in my eyes, but lets face it he not gonna play forever.  Just because someone has an idea to draft a QB for the future you now it all's go crazy about the no love for Matt Ryan.  

I won't speak for anyone else, but the issue that I have with a suggestion like this is this...Matt Ryan has shown to not only be pretty darn durable, he also has played very well for the majority of his career, and he is the best option we have going forward.  

Monetarily-wise, we CANNOT cut loose from him without paying a HUGE price for it before 2023.  That year will save us 22 million if we decide to release him.  SO....that's another 4 years before we can attempt to sign someone else to be the starter...which is ALSO the same year a 2nd round pick from the 2020 draft would end up needing a new contract as well.  

So here's the problem, you have someone who is locked into his contract for another 3 years minimum, so nobody else is going to be playing in his place outside of injury.  Drafting someone in the second round to hold clipboard for the next three years with the possibility that Matt Ryan could re-up his contract before his final year is up is pretty much a waste of a draft pick unless you plan on trading for him capital later on.

Even at 38 years old, and with how much longer QBs are playing these days, it wouldn't seem silly to think Ryan could play into his 40s.

Now you say we go crazy because someone suggests drafting the QB of the future, but that's not the case.  This is about the fact that this team needs help to stay in playoff contention this year and years to follow.  Drafting someone so high to POSSIBLY play 4 years from now seems like a waste of draft picks when more important positions and needs are available with that pick.

This is also pending that the team does not re-sign him to an extension before his current one is up in order to free up cap if necessary.

How many times is a QB that has had this great of a career, played a ton, whom everyone knows about and no one thinks he is a top 10 and turns out to be a great NFL player? 

Face it if a QB had the career or Hurts and was going to be a good NFL QB, he’d be a top pick. Hurts is basically another Aaron Murray. He doesn’t have top tools and there is no upside to him.