FalconsIn2012

Blank on Freeman: “I love him but salary cap is not unlimited”

103 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Vandy said:

No AB is obviously a smart man but he meddles too much sometimes and yes I’ve been a Falcon since the 70s

Falcons Fan MVP likes this

1 minute ago, caponine said:

This is a major reach right here 

Exactly, there is nothing about Freeman's play that has been inspiring at all.  His touchdown run vs the Jaguars where he was untouched still looked like the slower version of himself 

red falcon and atljbo like this

4 minutes ago, R_The_Great said:

Exactly, there is nothing about Freeman's play that has been inspiring at all.  His touchdown run vs the Jaguars where he was untouched still looked like the slower version of himself 

Also with Teco and Mostert Freeman was not getting 20 carries a game. Just because he would go to SF doesnt mean he would be the lead back either on top of what you said 

Ovie_Lover likes this

6 hours ago, vel said:

Freeman wasn't atrocious last year. The problem, again, is return on investment. Was Freeman good enough to warrant a $6.5MM salary and $9.5MM in 2020? No. But was Freeman good enough to be on the roster? Yes. That's where I land. He had moments. He was a solid enough receiving back. He was solid enough in blocking. But he's not a borderline $10MM cap hit player. 

He had the lowest yards per carry with a whopping 3.6 YDS per carry on the team.  Though Ito and Hill had less carries. That stat does not win a superbowl.  Do we take a chance and keep him?  Or do we keep continuity? :shrug:

caponine likes this

8 minutes ago, Realsurfin said:

He had the lowest yards per carry with a whopping 3.6 YDS per carry on the team.  Though Ito and Hill had less carries. That stat does not win a superbowl.  Do we take a chance and keep him?  Or do we keep continuity? :shrug:

Let's not act like Hill nor Ito would have done better with 185 carries. Devonta was the lead back of an offense that lacked creative rushing design and poor OL play. If we're applauding Ito, we might as well applaud Matt for having a higher YPC too...

If Freeman was a $2-3MM cap hit, we wouldn't be having this discussion. That's my point. 

Vandy, The Daywalker, Stevo and 1 other like this

7 hours ago, schwarzenegger321 said:

He should have said this when people asked him about Ryan, Julio and Grady.

I'm thinking the same thing. Those are not wise business words.  Saying this about one player, and not the ones making the big bucks.

7 hours ago, vel said:

Freeman wasn't atrocious last year. The problem, again, is return on investment. Was Freeman good enough to warrant a $6.5MM salary and $9.5MM in 2020? No. But was Freeman good enough to be on the roster? Yes. That's where I land. He had moments. He was a solid enough receiving back. He was solid enough in blocking. But he's not a borderline $10MM cap hit player. 

I agree with you but people only look at the 1-2 yard crash up the middle and think Frees done.

If the OC continues to use him in such a fashion he’s gone don’t waste your time.The coaches have to be honest and use him in the correct fashion if they want a back like Free.

If they want to run a power scheme get a power back or use what we have to there strengths and just draft a 3rd down back for me it’s that simple.

Like you mention if your not getting value time to move on.

FalconsIn2012 and vel like this

47 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

I agree with you but people only look at the 1-2 yard crash up the middle and think Frees done.

If the OC continues to use him in such a fashion he’s gone don’t waste your time.The coaches have to be honest and use him in the correct fashion if they want a back like Free.

If they want to run a power scheme get a power back or use what we have to there strengths and just draft a 3rd down back for me it’s that simple.

Like you mention if your not getting value time to move on.

Yep!  Frees best utilization would be catching the ball out of backfield.  He’s dangerous there but DK won’t.  

2 hours ago, Jumpin Jehosaphat said:

With all due respect, the "whiff" refers to the 2nd contract that he should have never received and has never lived up to...a major whiff, indeed

Freeman didn't live up to the contract due to injury. He was deserving of the contract at the time because he was still one of the best RBs in the league and was very dynamic as a runner and a receiver.

Injuries changed the course of Freeman's career. It happens.

6 minutes ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

Freeman didn't live up to the contract due to injury. He was deserving of the contract at the time because he was still one of the best RBs in the league and was very dynamic as a runner and a receiver.

Injuries changed the course of Freeman's career. It happens.

This why it’s best to keep cycling young fresh studs thru vs long term commitments at rb (aside from team friendly FA signs).  Occasionally you hit a home run but normally it haunts you.  I always thought the fact his agent busted out during SB week and then the missed block were harbingers of what was coming.  Just my humble opinion though.  

6 hours ago, BigGrip said:

This is just "POOR" management. If you are letting the player go just do it. Don't let it play out in the media. He is as good as gone now. No need to try to negotiate anything. Don't think that other players around the league will overlook how this is being handled. .... . I'm certain Tampa Bay or Carolina will make him an offer if released. ..... . And no, I'm not saying we should keep him. I'm just saying this is NOT the way to handle this issue.  :bang:

What makes you certain Tampa or Carolina give him an offer if released? Because he played for Atlanta?

It was also "POOR" management to reward him with the contract he is about to be released from after tooting your horn during the Super Bowl.

3 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Give him a quality OL and Freeman is fine.  He would but up 1,600 all prose yards in SF as their lead back

I really doubt that. 

The guy likely gets his bell ring again or some other injury before then as a lead back.

Ovie_Lover, red falcon and caponine like this

15 hours ago, RubberDucky said:

Blank needs to write this response down in a notepad, carry it with him everywhere, and read it verbatim every time he's asked a question regarding a player.

I've never seen an owner sabotage his own franchise in contract negotiations so often.

This is the biggest overblown load of crock

atljbo likes this

18 hours ago, MAD597 said:

I will celebrate the day he is cut. His blocking whiff cost us a SB and his contract whining during the SB bye week caused an unneeded distraction and ever since that contract he has been useless on the field.

Thank you saved me a post

We can get better production from what we already have on the roster at a cheaper price.

Anyone watching Free not hitting the hole quick enough or not getting around the edge any longer isn't watching the Free I"m watching.

Cut Free when it is to our cap benefit.

18 hours ago, caponine said:

This is a major reach right here 

I said all purpose.  I’m pretty sure 1,000 yards rushing and 600 receiving as the #1 back in SF is completely possible.  This assumes SF needs a back, which they don’t 

Vandy likes this

We all still love Devonta but unfortunately his health & performance fell short of the mark after we paid him the big money.  

I have no problem moving on at this point. Good luck & thanks for the memories brother.