FalconsIn2012

Blank on Freeman: “I love him but salary cap is not unlimited”

103 posts in this topic

Asked about Freeman's future, Blank noted only that team-building is about more than one player. 

"Well, I love him, too," Blank said of Freeman, via Vaughn McClure of ESPN. "But this has nothing to do with love. It has to do with building a roster. The salary cap is not unlimited. It seems like it's unlimited, but it's not. And the investments we have made -- which have been very, very substantial with a wide variety of players on both sides of the ball -- have been significant. So personnel, and coach, and [team president] Rich McKay, they'll be looking at everything and making sure we're making investments in the right areas based on what the roster has to look like going forward. 

"How it's going to affect one individual player, I have no idea. Sure, I love what [Freeman] brings to the team. I also know we've drafted well and we've got some really good backups now today. We'll see how all that works out." 

That's certainly not a 'we'll make it work' comment from Blank. 

It's well known that Freeman and Blank have a good relationship, so if the owner is leaning on salary cap discussions rather than talking about a player's talents, the tea leaves aren't hard to read. 

Freeman's cap figure sits at $9.5 million in 2020, via Over The Cap. The Falcons would save $3.5 million by cutting the running back, with $6 million in dead money. 

With just under $5 million in cap space and bigger moves needed to be made, like potentially bringing back Austin Hooper, the Falcons will be forced to make some tough choices. Moving on from a running back who struggles to make defenders miss and has dealt with injuries is likely the first place to start when shedding salaries.

Malachore and duckhoa like this

Freeman wasn't atrocious last year. The problem, again, is return on investment. Was Freeman good enough to warrant a $6.5MM salary and $9.5MM in 2020? No. But was Freeman good enough to be on the roster? Yes. That's where I land. He had moments. He was a solid enough receiving back. He was solid enough in blocking. But he's not a borderline $10MM cap hit player. 

Wonder how it makes players feel in Free Agency knowing that the owner has his preferences for “Falcons For Life” so you know you’re not going to get paid what you think you deserve. just say no comment Blank. Pretty sure this has to cause some angst in the locker room at some point.  

42 minutes ago, vel said:

Freeman wasn't atrocious last year. The problem, again, is return on investment. Was Freeman good enough to warrant a $6.5MM salary and $9.5MM in 2020? No. But was Freeman good enough to be on the roster? Yes. That's where I land. He had moments. He was a solid enough receiving back. He was solid enough in blocking. But he's not a borderline $10MM cap hit player. 

I'd be down to bring him back if he were to agree to a restructure if not he got to go..I'd rather use that money to help bring back Hooper and defensive talent 

Shelley#37 likes this

51 minutes ago, RubberDucky said:

Blank needs to write this response down in a notepad, carry it with him everywhere, and read it verbatim every time he's asked a question regarding a player.

I've never seen an owner sabotage his own franchise in contract negotiations so often.

Jerry Jones says, “Happy Valentine’s Day”

papachaz, Vandy, Drew4719 and 3 others like this

4 minutes ago, RoddyWhite84 said:

I'd be down to bring him back if he were to agree to a restructure if not he got to go..I'd rather use that money to help bring back Hooper and defensive talent 

A restructure just shifts the money around, so we would still ultimately end up overpaying him.

I mean everybody knows this... I think the only thing really holding this up is the CBA .. If the CBA get's done we can save 6.5 mil rather then 3.5 mil... It's happening regardless tho.

What I got out of the  Vaughan article is like last year when Mr.Blank told the FO to get olive man and we end up signing 2 and drafting 2 in the 1st round... It sound like the mision is the D-Line this offseason.... Getting to the QB... We was near last in sacks

I see us aggressively grabbing D-Lineman in FA and the 16th pick

PokerSteve and Atl Falcon like this

1 hour ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Asked about Freeman's future, Blank noted only that team-building is about more than one player. 

"Well, I love him, too," Blank said of Freeman, via Vaughn McClure of ESPN. "But this has nothing to do with love. It has to do with building a roster. The salary cap is not unlimited. It seems like it's unlimited, but it's not. And the investments we have made -- which have been very, very substantial with a wide variety of players on both sides of the ball -- have been significant. So personnel, and coach, and [team president] Rich McKay, they'll be looking at everything and making sure we're making investments in the right areas based on what the roster has to look like going forward. 

"How it's going to affect one individual player, I have no idea. Sure, I love what [Freeman] brings to the team. I also know we've drafted well and we've got some really good backups now today. We'll see how all that works out." 

Now he's acting like a businessman?  Where was this when the team was negotiating (I use the term loosely) contracts for Matt, Julio, and Grady (or Freeman's prior contract)?  Don't get me wrong, I want them all here. But the whole "falcon for life" crap only made the job of his front office staff more difficult.  You don't walk into a contract negotiation yelling "you win"!  Quite frankly, this 180 degree turn sends an odd message to players.  If I say "falcon for life" we'll bust the bank for you, but if I don't say that or I say "love has nothing to do with it" you might want to call a realtor.

21 minutes ago, D.B.N. said:

Freeman is good as gone. We whiffed on him, just like he whiffed on that pass block in the SB. 

Dude bullied the organization into that contract the week of the biggest game the team has ever been in and then denied that block was his responsibility. Shameful. 

2 hours ago, RubberDucky said:

Blank needs to write this response down in a notepad, carry it with him everywhere, and read it verbatim every time he's asked a question regarding a player.

I've never seen an owner sabotage his own franchise in contract negotiations so often.

You guys dissing Blank haven’t been around very long, have you? 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/rowlandsoffice.wordpress.com/2011/11/27/my-adventures-with-rankin-smith-and-other-tales-of-atlantas-other-sports-teams/amp/

23 minutes ago, chronob said:

Now he's acting like a businessman?  Where was this when the team was negotiating (I use the term loosely) contracts for Matt, Julio, and Grady (or Freeman's prior contract)?  Don't get me wrong, I want them all here. But the whole "falcon for life" crap only made the job of his front office staff more difficult.  You don't walk into a contract negotiation yelling "you win"!  Quite frankly, this 180 degree turn sends an odd message to players.  If I say "falcon for life" we'll bust the bank for you, but if I don't say that or I say "love has nothing to do with it" you might want to call a realtor.

ill be honest.....i feel like ppl over blowing the falcons for life thing..... Matt , Julio, and Grady would have gotten what they got regardless.... They didnt get one more dollar because of that statement,... That was their market.

Now i dont like that he said it because you just dont know if they will be falcons for life..... Again..Free play fell off a cliff and now we see whats up.

One of Mr.Blanks selling points is that he is more then just the "hard businessman" ... He treats you like family... The steak dinner pitch he closes free agents on..... So i really dont like these remarks either......

We know whats coming... Let it happen and we praise free for what he has done for the franchise once he is released

12 minutes ago, stizz said:

Dude bullied the organization into that contract the week of the biggest game the team has ever been in and then denied that block was his responsibility. Shameful. 

Ikr. Him and his greedy agent took full advantage of the situation and ever since he got paid he has played w/ no heart. 

papachaz likes this

This is just "POOR" management. If you are letting the player go just do it. Don't let it play out in the media. He is as good as gone now. No need to try to negotiate anything. Don't think that other players around the league will overlook how this is being handled. .... . I'm certain Tampa Bay or Carolina will make him an offer if released. ..... . And no, I'm not saying we should keep him. I'm just saying this is NOT the way to handle this issue.  :bang:

Pacific_Falcon likes this

I will celebrate the day he is cut. His blocking whiff cost us a SB and his contract whining during the SB bye week caused an unneeded distraction and ever since that contract he has been useless on the field.

59 minutes ago, stizz said:

He should have been benched for the SB