Change my mind

5 hours ago, AF89 said:

*Official ABF King of the Hill appreciation thread here*

Why not both

On 2/14/2020 at 0:33 AM, lostone said:

The answer is sub except for comedy

Change my mind

Only if it's black box and big enough for me to see it

There are a few dub watchable anime.  Ranma 1/2 and a lot of the anime that made it to early Cartoon Network like cowboy bebop and samurai champloo had good dubs.  Gundum wing I have really only seen dubbed.  I have it on my to watch list, but so many others that I probably won’t get to it

8 hours ago, lostone said:

There are a few dub watchable anime.  Ranma 1/2 and a lot of the anime that made it to early Cartoon Network like cowboy bebop and samurai champloo had good dubs.  Gundum wing I have really only seen dubbed.  I have it on my to watch list, but so many others that I probably won’t get to it

Did Ranma 1/2 ever come on cartoon network? I dont think Shampoo or Kodachi could have ever truly been shown on a pre Adult swim era of Cartoon Network, and by the time 2001 rolled around Takahashi's much more cartoon network friendly show inuyasha(terrible show BTW) was available. Would have been amazing to see though. I had all the VHS tapes as a kid. Was the first anime I fell in love with.

The Dub, fond memories aside, was iffy. Richard Cox makes the last few seasons unwatchable for me. Completely missed what Ranma was as a character. It was a better dub than other anime of the era(Saint Seiya, Sailor moon), but thats not saying much as they had to be changed heavily because they had themes which werent considered kid friendly in the west.

Cowboy Bebop is a clear example of a superior dub. Samurai Champloo is iffy. The original Japanese voices contrasted with the  rap makes for a very cool experience the dub cheapens.

I will throw my hat in and say Dragonball z(Not original Dragonball) had a superior dub to the sub. Thats probably nostalgia speaking as well, but I feel it hits better.

REALLY love Steven Universe as a concept, as a callback to Utena which was one of the more "revolutionary" shows of our childhood, and as a show. One thing that really stands out to me, as someone the creators age(well, 2 years younger, but still same age range) is that we grew up in an era where homosexuality was such a taboo that shows that showed it would have to be horrifically dubbed over.

I remember being a kid watching sailor moon and clearly knowing as a 8,9,10 year old that Neptune and Uranus were clearly lesbians. It was also one of the few couples in a show, that starred a middle schooler eventually dating a college guy who was even more immature than her, that actually showed a healthy relationship. The Dub was so embarrassing. Its amazing how time just moves forward. Kids today just accept it.

Its just so cringe.

For my 1970/80s chop-socky kung-fu movies that I love, gotta be dubs. Kinda hard to follow the action and read bad subs at the same time, even for me who has years of practice at it.

For anime, I prefer subs, but only for the comedic-type anime because some Japanese humor is weird without an American who understands it putting it in context.