• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It was pretty much ass after the Dark Tournament arc.

I thought Tenjo Tenge theme song was saying "Panty time" when I watched a few episodes like 10+ years ago.....Didnt get far into it although I did like the op   I feel like Tsubasa has to be

I swear If nothing else literally any of the Attack on Titan opening themes Ive heard so far should replace the national anthem

There are a few dub watchable anime.  Ranma 1/2 and a lot of the anime that made it to early Cartoon Network like cowboy bebop and samurai champloo had good dubs.  Gundum wing I have really only seen dubbed.  I have it on my to watch list, but so many others that I probably won’t get to it

8 hours ago, lostone said:

There are a few dub watchable anime.  Ranma 1/2 and a lot of the anime that made it to early Cartoon Network like cowboy bebop and samurai champloo had good dubs.  Gundum wing I have really only seen dubbed.  I have it on my to watch list, but so many others that I probably won’t get to it

Did Ranma 1/2 ever come on cartoon network? I dont think Shampoo or Kodachi could have ever truly been shown on a pre Adult swim era of Cartoon Network, and by the time 2001 rolled around Takahashi's much more cartoon network friendly show inuyasha(terrible show BTW) was available. Would have been amazing to see though. I had all the VHS tapes as a kid. Was the first anime I fell in love with.

The Dub, fond memories aside, was iffy. Richard Cox makes the last few seasons unwatchable for me. Completely missed what Ranma was as a character. It was a better dub than other anime of the era(Saint Seiya, Sailor moon), but thats not saying much as they had to be changed heavily because they had themes which werent considered kid friendly in the west.

Cowboy Bebop is a clear example of a superior dub. Samurai Champloo is iffy. The original Japanese voices contrasted with the  rap makes for a very cool experience the dub cheapens.

I will throw my hat in and say Dragonball z(Not original Dragonball) had a superior dub to the sub. Thats probably nostalgia speaking as well, but I feel it hits better.

REALLY love Steven Universe as a concept, as a callback to Utena which was one of the more "revolutionary" shows of our childhood, and as a show. One thing that really stands out to me, as someone the creators age(well, 2 years younger, but still same age range) is that we grew up in an era where homosexuality was such a taboo that shows that showed it would have to be horrifically dubbed over.

I remember being a kid watching sailor moon and clearly knowing as a 8,9,10 year old that Neptune and Uranus were clearly lesbians. It was also one of the few couples in a show, that starred a middle schooler eventually dating a college guy who was even more immature than her, that actually showed a healthy relationship. The Dub was so embarrassing. Its amazing how time just moves forward. Kids today just accept it.

Its just so cringe.

• 2 weeks later...

For my 1970/80s chop-socky kung-fu movies that I love, gotta be dubs. Kinda hard to follow the action and read bad subs at the same time, even for me who has years of practice at it.

For anime, I prefer subs, but only for the comedic-type anime because some Japanese humor is weird without an American who understands it putting it in context.

I'm a fan of Hong Kong and Korean cinema and you can put me down for sub every single time. Comedy can work with subs if done well; watch Arahan or Kung Fu Hustle (two nearly perfect movies, IMO) if you don't believe me. If you ever watched the Raymond Burr version of Godzilla, King of the Monsters, I invite you to watch the original Gojira with subs. Entirely different experience.

On 2/27/2020 at 11:31 PM, JayOzOne said:

I'm a fan of Hong Kong and Korean cinema and you can put me down for sub every single time. Comedy can work with subs if done well; watch Arahan or Kung Fu Hustle (two nearly perfect movies, IMO) if you don't believe me. If you ever watched the Raymond Burr version of Godzilla, King of the Monsters, I invite you to watch the original Gojira with subs. Entirely different experience.

Comedy can work.  Stand up, not to much.  I liked Kung fu hustle 

14 hours ago, lostone said:

Comedy can work.  Stand up, not to much.  I liked Kung fu hustle 

I'd suppose timing is much different between western and eastern audiences. And I have to believe that American audiences are particularly unique because we're always subliminally comparing comics to giants that came before them. I rarely find one that makes me laugh in the wake of Redd Foxx, Richard Pryor, Lenny Bruce and Robin Williams. Also, the context of jokes has to be much different. I'd have to be pretty lit to enjoy a foreign improv comic speaking in his natural language.

• 4 weeks later...

This quarantine has worn me down and I've bout exhausted all the movies and shows I've wanted to catch up on so I'm seriously considering picking back up Bleach up for the first time in nearly a decade just to see how it ended (and I heard there's new content coming out) it's probably going to take me the better part of a couple days to figure out where i left off. Probably some bullchit filler that gave me a headache.  

Also maybe Sword Art Online cause i caught a few episodes last year on Adult Swim trying to watch the Gundam prequels and it was pretty watchable. (And I'm possibly more comfortable in something trying to incorporate Western fantasy/swords and guns cause that's more my nerd corner)

anime  can sometimes make me grind my teeth tho so we're going to play this by ear

I'm not reading tv. I tried that bullchit in highscool and I'll stick to books for that thank you.

1 hour ago, AF89 said:

This quarantine has worn me down and I've bout exhausted all the movies and shows I've wanted to catch up on so I'm seriously considering picking back up Bleach up for the first time in nearly a decade just to see how it ended (and I heard there's new content coming out) it's probably going to take me the better part of a couple days to figure out where i left off. Probably some bullchit filler that gave me a headache.  

Also maybe Sword Art Online cause i caught a few episodes last year on Adult Swim trying to watch the Gundam prequels and it was pretty watchable. (And I'm possibly more comfortable in something trying to incorporate Western fantasy/swords and guns cause that's more my nerd corner)

anime  can sometimes make me grind my teeth tho so we're going to play this by ear

I'm not reading tv. I tried that bullchit in highscool and I'll stick to books for that thank you.

What kind of anime are you looking for?

2 hours ago, Makaveli96 said:

Sub is so overrated. Having to read text while trying to take in the show just takes away from the experience imo

What about non-anime, City of God for example.  

Edited by mfaulk57158
3 hours ago, Makaveli96 said:

Sub is so overrated. Having to read text while trying to take in the show just takes away from the experience imo

Also while I'm concentrating on reading sometimes things like voice inflection or which character actually spoke if there are more than one of the same sex on screen can be lost. Not always cause anime tends to be a very expressive genre but sometimes. 

4 hours ago, lostone said:

What kind of anime are you looking for?

It's hard to say cause some of these i might not start simply cause there like 300+ episodes and I'm ususally a completionist. Probably get stuck watching any movies too.

Swords is my default, theres a reason when i was a kid future Trunks was always my favourite DBZ character but space or guns is neat too, Cowboy Bebop for instance is definitely a classic.

I don't mind comedy necessarily but I definitely need it tempered by action. I think a big thing would be mature themes that don't talk down to their audience (think the difference between Toonami and Adult Swim back when they "youst" to be separate programming blocks). Attack on Titan seems decent.

11 hours ago, AF89 said:

It's hard to say cause some of these i might not start simply cause there like 300+ episodes and I'm ususally a completionist. Probably get stuck watching any movies too.

Swords is my default, theres a reason when i was a kid future Trunks was always my favourite DBZ character but space or guns is neat too, Cowboy Bebop for instance is definitely a classic.

I don't mind comedy necessarily but I definitely need it tempered by action. I think a big thing would be mature themes that don't talk down to their audience (think the difference between Toonami and Adult Swim back when they "youst" to be separate programming blocks). Attack on Titan seems decent.

Gintama

hilarious