Arik Armstead, DE, San Francisco 49ers if Adrian Clayborn leaves

*TMo*

The Niners are loaded on the defensive line. There's no shortage of big names and elite players. But Armstead was the team leader in sacks (10) and also a machine when it came to tackles for a loss (13.5). While Nick Bosa, DeForest Buckner and Dee Ford rightly get the pub up front, Armstead was a huge part of a Niners defense that I considered the best in the NFL. And when your passing attack can be spotty at times, you want the incredible defense to stay together.

The Niners don't have oodles of cap space. And given all the young studs on this roster, a long-term deal could be difficult. I think the franchise tag could come into play here -- something that Armstead is publicly open to. Like the rest of this 49ers, he feels there's unfinished business to take care of in 2020.

That Niners d-line is super stacked.

Anytime you have a line stacked like that, you may have a "buyer's beware" or two within that group if they go elsewhere. Armstead's production jumped leaps and bounds this season from the past.

I still think Nick Bosa really transformed that d-line. The man is already a monster. I think he'll be better than his brother Joey.

Need to see if there's a third Bosa brother that the Falcons can put on pre-order.

Armstead was elite this last year. He was beating doubles and stuffing runs left and right. No question. Signing him now would be like signing Calais Campbell at 26 y/o.

PS: he was an elite run defender last year too, and I'm pretty sure he was far improved in pass rush, at least according to PFF. I actually wanted us to trade for him.

Long story short, I love the guy. Favorite opp in FA if he makes it that far. Just don't see any chance that we get him. I assumed he'd be priority 1 for the 49ers. At worst, I thought they'd tag and trade him. If they let him go, we need to make the move.

19 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Armstead was elite this last year. He was beating doubles and stuffing runs left and right. No question. Signing him now would be like signing Calais Campbell at 26 y/o.

PS: he was an elite run defender last year too, and I'm pretty sure he was far improved in pass rush, at least according to PFF. I actually wanted us to trade for him.

Long story short, I love the guy. Favorite opp in FA if he makes it that far. Just don't see any chance that we get him. I assumed he'd be priority 1 for the 49ers. At worst, I thought they'd tag and trade him. If they let him go, we need to make the move.

Its so disrespectful to compare him to Calais. I wholeheartedly think we sign either Dante Fowler or Jadeveon Clowney, and let Austin Hooper walk. I think our backup plan consist of Robert Quinn, Calais Camobell(if hes cut to save money for Ngakoue), Michael Bennett, JPP, Bruce Irvin, etc. TD and DQ are going to spend as much as they can on the defense to help insure the team improving so they can keep their job.

4 hours ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Co-signed. But we don’t have the moola.

3 hours ago, LaurentRobinsonDaGawd said:

Its so disrespectful to compare him to Calais. I wholeheartedly think we sign either Dante Fowler or Jadeveon Clowney, and let Austin Hooper walk. I think our backup plan consist of Robert Quinn, Calais Camobell(if hes cut to save money for Ngakoue), Michael Bennett, JPP, Bruce Irvin, etc. TD and DQ are going to spend as much as they can on the defense to help insure the team improving so they can keep their job.

I don’t believe he was comparing him to Calais per se, he was comparing impact to team.

BTW, last year was Fowler’s breakout season too.

18 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Co-signed.

I don’t believe he was comparing him to Calais per se, he was comparing impact to team.

BTW, last year was Fowler’s breakout season too.

Fowler had decent production in terms of pressures during his time in jacksonville, all while not being a starter due to the presence of Yannick Ngakoue and Calais Campbell. 

6 minutes ago, LaurentRobinsonDaGawd said:

Fowler had decent production in terms of pressures during his time in jacksonville, all while not being a starter due to the presence of Yannick Ngakoue and Calais Campbell. 

I'll just leave this here.

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-49ers-arik-armstead-nearing-first-round-potential-with-improved-play-down-the-stretch

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-arik-armstead-led-all-3-4-defensive-ends-in-prp-in-2016

Depends how much stock you put into PFF, but I think he'd be a great add.

1 hour ago, Francis York Morgan said:

The fact he didnt blow up pass rush wise until this year scares me.

35 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

The fact he didnt blow up pass rush wise until this year scares me.

I get it when you say "blow up," but I think he was a poor pass rusher strictly if you're looking at sack totals. I like that he could slide inside as well as play strong side DE...but I get you. Don't think we have a chance at him but FA players are always a risk of some sort

I believe Falcons were dead last in salary cap space as of a month ago and we don’t have money to pay Hoop who is at a non premium position and not a star

Where is the money coming from for Armstead or Fowler or any other top FA?

Lots of NFL teams are flush with salary cap space and can overpay - Falcons?  Not so much.

52 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I believe Falcons were dead last in salary cap space as of a month ago and we don’t have money to pay Hoop who is at a non premium position and not a star

Lots of NFL teams are flush with salary cap space and can overpay - Falcons?  Not so much.

We're gonna use Bernie Sanders tax plan so we'll just take cap space from other teams..duh

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

Yeah, more I look at things the more I think we go bargain bin unless we trade for a guy.

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

The cap is a myth, haven't you heard?

Just now, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Why not though? Gotta blow it up eventually

No you really don’t.   You have to make tough decisions and let a player walk every now and then like Hoop - cut a fan favorite - let go of a once franchise player, etc - make a trade - there are always tough choices but that doesn’t necessarily square with blowing it up.

It’s just knowing when to say goodbye.

1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

No you really don’t.   You have to make tough decisions and let a player walk every now and then like Hoop - cut a fan favorite - let go of a once franchise player, etc - make a trade - there are always tough choices but that doesn’t necessarily square with blowing it up.

It’s just knowing when to say goodbye.

Rarely is a team coming back from losing their franchise QB without having a bad season and finishing in the bottom 5 and being in a position to secure their next franchise QB.