Jump to content

Value of a NFL player based on position.


Refried Beans
 Share

Recommended Posts

NFL is QB driven league. I know we got some gurus on the board in regards to salaries and what not, but here is how I see player value rank of a NFL team

1. QB driven league so QB is where you should have most money tied up

2. O-line Obviously you want to protect your most valuable asset so your o-line should be THE 2nd strongest position on the football field. Especially LT to guard the blind side

3. Interior D Line- Interior D lIne should be where the third amount of money for a NFL franchise should go. By providing a anchor in the middle of the d line inables DE to get free. Thwart an opponents inside run game and disrupt the natural pocket for a opposing QB. 

4. LB should be the fourth most valuable paid player for a NFL franchise because as we have seen with teams like KC, New England, and others the TE position has morphed into another WR type and requires a LB who can cover, so speed and the ability to tackle are crucial.

5. CB fifth most valuable, ranked above WR because with today's NFL rules having a dominant WRs is irrelevant,  the game is set up for WR success and against the defense so having a CB that can actually play tight coverage with success is more important

6. WR this is one of the least most valuable player on the football field in regards to investment, the rules are set up so an average WR can succeed in today's NFL. Plus there are more WRs than any other position so investing a ton of cash in this position is plain stupid. See KC and San Fran, average WRs. See New England Average WRs, see Green Bay Average WRs. 

7. RBs This is next to least valuable position on the field in today's NFL, the rules have changed and New England has shown that with the right o-line you can plug in a average Joe and get yards. Minimal amount of money should be spent here. 

8. Safety- The center fielder of the defense, Used to be known and the Hammer on defense. the heavy hitter of the defense but now again with the rules change it has deemed this postion the least valuable on the roster. 

 

Edited by Refried Beans
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ovie_Lover said:

Chiefs just won by valuing 

Qb

Ol

Wr

Rb

DB

Dl

Lb

More than one way to skin a cat

They did that by beating a 

Qb

Dl

Lb

Rb

Ol

Db

Wr

Both made it to the SB tho. 

If there was one way to make it every team would do it.

Yep there is know one way to skin a cat.

To me this is all the get bigger because that’ll make a difference rubbish.When in actual fact you need to be multiple and smart about how you go about winning that goes for talent acquisition cap management across the board.

I find if you get locked in to a singular way of thinking your done especially in a league like this where it’s so close and competitive.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are many ways to skin a cat, but it's not necessarily about how much money you spend.  It does matter where you place importance.

From my experience, QB, OL, and DL are the most important parts of a football team.  If you draft to maximize the effectiveness of these 10 positions, you will improve the ability for the other 12 starting positions to do their jobs.  On defense, the secondary and linebackers play more of a role in helping the DL than the WR's, RB's and TE's play in helping the OL.

Thus, my overall order of importance is as follows:

QB, OT, DT, DE, C, OG, CB, LB, S, TE, WR, RB.

So...  I think that drafts should focus heavily on OL and DL.  I think that teams rarely let their best linemen walk, so if you want the best, you have to draft them.  I'm not saying that we should only use 1st round picks on the lines, and I'm not saying that we should ignore BPA or other positions of need.  I do think, however, that we should be drafting line positions early, and often.  The lines represent 9 of 22 positions on the field, so it kind of makes sense to dedicate 2-3 picks per year to the lines.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, robertap said:

There are many ways to skin a cat, but it's not necessarily about how much money you spend.  It does matter where you place importance.

From my experience, QB, OL, and DL are the most important parts of a football team.  If you draft to maximize the effectiveness of these 10 positions, you will improve the ability for the other 12 starting positions to do their jobs.  On defense, the secondary and linebackers play more of a role in helping the DL than the WR's, RB's and TE's play in helping the OL.

Thus, my overall order of importance is as follows:

QB, OT, DT, DE, C, OG, CB, LB, S, TE, WR, RB.

So...  I think that drafts should focus heavily on OL and DL.  I think that teams rarely let their best linemen walk, so if you want the best, you have to draft them.  I'm not saying that we should only use 1st round picks on the lines, and I'm not saying that we should ignore BPA or other positions of need.  I do think, however, that we should be drafting line positions early, and often.  The lines represent 9 of 22 positions on the field, so it kind of makes sense to dedicate 2-3 picks per year to the lines.

In today's NFL, you cannot put a low value on corners.  Too much passing.  You must be able to cover. A high end corner can make your whole defense better. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

In today's NFL, you cannot put a low value on corners.  Too much passing.  You must be able to cover. A high end corner can make your whole defense better. 

I have corners valued right after the lines.  And again, I stated that the secondary + LB are more valuable than any of the skill positions on offense. (outside of QB)

In my rankings, where would you value them?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In today's NFL, CB's need to be very high on the list. All positions are important, but you can get by with an average OL, but you could get hammered with average CB's. Therefore, I think CB's are as important as any position after the QB.  If I was starting a team, I would go for an elite QB, and an Elite CB, and go from there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Ovie_Lover said:

Chiefs just won by valuing 

Qb

Ol

Wr

Rb

DB

Dl

Lb

More than one way to skin a cat

They did that by beating a 

Qb

Dl

Lb

Rb

Ol

Db

Wr

Both made it to the SB tho. 

If there was one way to make it every team would do it.

QB, does not belong in the top slot for SF. Not even close. They got to where they were because of their trenches, both DL(#1)/OL(#2).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's also a supply and demand kind of league. Belichick understood that the best it seems (he was an Econ major), which is why his valuations seemed to change from year to year and how he stayed ahead of trends. Do you throw all your eggs in one basket for that one impact player you want, or do you get several quality players at a position (or positions) in greater availability? Belichick usually went for the latter. Nevertheless, as one person already mentioned, there are multiple ways to skin a cat. However, if you want sustained success, going with the "supply" method seems to work best. If you want oranges, but everyone else is trying to get oranges, which drives up the price for oranges as the supply quickly dwindles, you can either try to get your oranges, or just go for the less popular apples and make something out of that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...