Trade Down 2020 Mock

benny

FA:

Yannick Ngakoue DE - with Vic leaving, edge rusher opposite of McKinley is a huge need. IMO we have to invest major FA money and finally build a competent pass rush. it has been long enough.

Draft:

Trade Down - Derrick Brown, Javon Kinlaw, and Isaiah Simmons are all going to be gone by the time #16 rolls around. with all the holes that we have on this roster, giving up picks to move up and get one of these guys wouldn't be ideal. instead we move down to the 22-28 range and pick up a 3rd and a 5th round pick. 

1*: Neville Gallimore DT Oklahomahe’s big, strong, and explosive. high level athlete especially for his size. a dline of Mckinley/Gallimore/Jarrett/Ngakoue would be the best we’ve had in years.

2: Cesar Ruiz G/C Michigan - one year into the Carpenter/Brown experiment and it’s already obvious we need to keep trying. Ruiz is one of the best Center prospects in this draft. Has experience playing both Guard and Center and could come in and play at LG his rookie year and then eventually replace Mack after.  

2: Cole Kmet TE Notre Dame - depending on how he tests at the combine, the Falcons would be lucky for Kmet to be here at 55. in order to afford a guy like Ngakoue we unfortunately have to let a lot of guys walk including Hooper. if we do that, expect a TE to get picked early. Kmet is the most complete TE in the class and will step in and hopefully be as reliable a target on 3rd down as Hooper was. 

3*: Zack Moss RB Utah - the perfect replacement for Freeman and he excelled in a zone scheme at Utah. a strong back who can make that one cut and hit the hole downhill in a hurry. if Matt is gonna stay upright this year, we're going to have to give him a capable run game to ease the pressure. 

3: Brandon Jones S Texas - i’m not of the belief that Keanu Neal is done. but we cant ignore the fact that he has had back to back devastating injuries and will have an uphill battle trying to be as effective as he once was. we need to start hoping for the best but planning for the worst. Jones is a playmaker at SS who excels as more of an "in the box" safety, and with Kazee seemingly ready to step into the FS role, Jones would fit great next to him. If Neal cant return to form then Jones is more than capable to start at SS, and if Neal can come back back, maybe Jones can still start at SS and Neal at OLB. 

4: Dane Jackson CB Pittsburgh - the secondary was a mess last year until late when the unit of Trufant, Oliver, and Sheffield started clicking. Jackson has the measurables that DQ wants in a CB. if Trufant sticks around this year, its unlikely we cough up the cash to sign him beyond and we need to draft a big bodied perimeter corner to eventually replace him. Who knows if Miller turns into anything and he's facing a suspension to start the year.

5* McTelvin Agim DT/DE Arkansas - it seems weird to double up on DT in the draft but for whatever reason, DQ doesn’t seem to be too high on Senat. dude never gets to play and he may get the axe in camp. Agim is explosive and powerful. a rotation of guys like Agim, Cominsky, and Clayborn the dline will be pretty set. 

5: Kamal Martin LB Minnesota - Campbell has been ok at the OLB position but not good enough to warrant an extension. Foye has earned the chance to take his spot and we need to draft someone to take Foye's spot. enter Martin. a 2 down LB with the potential to be a ST standout. 

7: Malcolm Perry WR/RB/QB Navy - Perry is a shifty, speedy, and explosive athlete. a gadget player that can do it all. with a little seasoning he could develop into a usable player in the slot and with Sanu gone, he could step into the quasi-wildcat QB role on gadget plays. 

I feel like an offseason like this would address most of our needs for next season and some of the needs in the future as well. let me know what you think. 

The DE FA market is loaded outside of the top 5 guys forget about it.We aren’t getting or swimming in the deep end of the pool.Gotta think about bringing back a Clayborn Means types with a maybe Irvin type or hit it in the draft with a guy that can cover multiple spots.

We have to accept the fact that it’s pass rush by committee.I think what we saw with Debo blitzing later on in the year is sign of things to come.What I’d be looking for is another such player like that who can play alongside Debo that can rush the passer aswell as not lose anything in coverage.

1 hour ago, b3nz. said:

FA:

Yannick Ngakoue DE - with Vic leaving, edge rusher opposite of McKinley is a huge need. IMO we have to invest major FA money and finally build a competent pass rush. it has been long enough.

Draft:

Trade Down - Derrick Brown, Javon Kinlaw, and Isaiah Simmons are all going to be gone by the time #16 rolls around. with all the holes that we have on this roster, giving up picks to move up and get one of these guys wouldn't be ideal. instead we move down to the 22-28 range and pick up a 3rd and a 5th round pick. 

1*: Neville Gallimore DT Oklahomahe’s big, strong, and explosive. high level athlete especially for his size. a dline of Mckinley/Gallimore/Jarrett/Ngakoue would be the best we’ve had in years.

2: Cesar Ruiz G/C Michigan - one year into the Carpenter/Brown experiment and it’s already obvious we need to keep trying. Ruiz is one of the best Center prospects in this draft. Has experience playing both Guard and Center and could come in and play at LG his rookie year and then eventually replace Mack after.  

2: Cole Kmet TE Notre Dame - depending on how he tests at the combine, the Falcons would be lucky for Kmet to be here at 55. in order to afford a guy like Ngakoue we unfortunately have to let a lot of guys walk including Hooper. if we do that, expect a TE to get picked early. Kmet is the most complete TE in the class and will step in and hopefully be as reliable a target on 3rd down as Hooper was. 

3*: Zack Moss RB Utah - the perfect replacement for Freeman and he excelled in a zone scheme at Utah. a strong back who can make that one cut and hit the hole downhill in a hurry. if Matt is gonna stay upright this year, we're going to have to give him a capable run game to ease the pressure. 

3: Brandon Jones S Texas - i’m not of the belief that Keanu Neal is done. but we cant ignore the fact that he has had back to back devastating injuries and will have an uphill battle trying to be as effective as he once was. we need to start hoping for the best but planning for the worst. Jones is a playmaker at SS who excels as more of an "in the box" safety, and with Kazee seemingly ready to step into the FS role, Jones would fit great next to him. If Neal cant return to form then Jones is more than capable to start at SS, and if Neal can come back back, maybe Jones can still start at SS and Neal at OLB. 

4: Dane Jackson CB Pittsburgh - the secondary was a mess last year until late when the unit of Trufant, Oliver, and Sheffield started clicking. Jackson has the measurables that DQ wants in a CB. if Trufant sticks around this year, its unlikely we cough up the cash to sign him beyond and we need to draft a big bodied perimeter corner to eventually replace him. Who knows if Miller turns into anything and he's facing a suspension to start the year.

5* McTelvin Agim DT/DE Arkansas - it seems weird to double up on DT in the draft but for whatever reason, DQ doesn’t seem to be too high on Senat. dude never gets to play and he may get the axe in camp. Agim is explosive and powerful. a rotation of guys like Agim, Cominsky, and Clayborn the dline will be pretty set. 

5: Kamal Martin LB Minnesota - Campbell has been ok at the OLB position but not good enough to warrant an extension. Foye has earned the chance to take his spot and we need to draft someone to take Foye's spot. enter Martin. a 2 down LB with the potential to be a ST standout. 

7: Malcolm Perry WR/RB/QB Navy - Perry is a shifty, speedy, and explosive athlete. a gadget player that can do it all. with a little seasoning he could develop into a usable player in the slot and with Sanu gone, he could step into the quasi-wildcat QB role on gadget plays. 

I feel like an offseason like this would address most of our needs for next season and some of the needs in the future as well. let me know what you think. 

This is one of the best lineups I've seen yet.  You're addressing all of my major concerns.  I'm still hoping that we manage to get some kind of compensation for Hoop in this draft.  (franchise tag + trade)

I wouldn’t put it past Quinn and TD to go after YN, it’s not like they are coming back if they have another season like last year. I highly doubt they trade down though, think keyword playmakers, i could see them sign Fowler and try to move up for Brown in a perfect scenario. They can’t wait on projects, they need players ready from Day One. Nice trade down mock though and like 3 of your first 4 picks, not impressed with Kmet at all.

9 hours ago, Cheyakita said:

I wouldn’t put it past Quinn and TD to go after YN, it’s not like they are coming back if they have another season like last year. I highly doubt they trade down though, think keyword playmakers, i could see them sign Fowler and try to move up for Brown in a perfect scenario. They can’t wait on projects, they need players ready from Day One. Nice trade down mock though and like 3 of your first 4 picks, not impressed with Kmet at all.

yeah you’re probably right. even though trading down might be the move for the long term, they have saving their jobs on the mind and will most likely move up if anything :/

Maybe a good idea to trade down in the first round, because there will be a lot of great talent in the second round and we could have 3 2nd round picks.. and still have a late first,, Should be a great player even around pick 25,, so I do like the trade down in the first.. It would help us in the end. IF we were just a few players away.. I'd say no,, but we need several upgrades..and a trade down would give us an extra pick in the 3rd round at the very least.  So then it would be late first rd pick,, 3 second round picks and a pick in every other round as well..  That could really boost our team to a place we haven't been a a long time. Plus this is considered a very strong Draft.. Best I can remember,, A lot of talent ,, Get while the gettin is good. If we had that many picks we could get all of our needs taken care of ... if we got these 9 or 10 picks by trading down in round 1 and maybe round 2 also. I'm hoping for,,   2 DEs,   2 DTs,   1 S,   1 CB,   1 OLB,   1 ILB,   and   1 RB.     That is 9 picks and can be had with one trade down in the first round.

Get all our other needs and especially OL needs in FAcy.. Proven OL ,, not OL in the draft that takes a year to learn his job. Just not smart. SEE last year..  The only OL I would even consider would be the C from Missouri ... I think he'd be a great pick, But all OL have to adjust to the NFL and takes time... Ease him in if we did get him... But he's the only OL I'd want to draft in the draft.

9 hours ago, b3nz. said:

yeah you’re probably right. even though trading down might be the move for the long term, they have saving their jobs on the mind and will most likely move up if anything :/

Should be the move short term too.  People think that trading up is a win now move, but that is the opposite of what has happened since TD has been here.  We have traded up four times in the first under TD and we had the same or worse record each time we traded up.

2011: 13-3 to 10-6 (Julio)
2013: 13-3 to 4–2 (Tru)
2017: 11-5 to 10-6 (Takk)
2019: 7-9 to 7-9 (McGary)

Seasons trading up: 31-33 (48%)
Seasons staying put: 78-50 (61%)

It’s almost as if we have never been one player away and depth matters. 

20 hours ago, Draftnut57 said:

Get all our other needs and especially OL needs in FAcy.. Proven OL ,, not OL in the draft that takes a year to learn his job. Just not smart. SEE last year..  The only OL I would even consider would be the C from Missouri ... I think he'd be a great pick, But all OL have to adjust to the NFL and takes time... Ease him in if we did get him... But he's the only OL I'd want to draft in the draft.

after reading that TD passed on signing Roger Saffold in free agency last year because he wanted 2 guards (Carpenter/Brown) for the price of one good one, i lost all faith in his ability to address either line through free agency. 

20 hours ago, Someday soon said:

Love the thought of trading down.  My best case scenario is the Colts after taking a tackle to replace Costonzo at pick 13 see Love there @ 16 and trade picks #34 and #44 plus a little kicker.  It gives us 4 picks in the second round where we can still find starting talent (RB,LG, DL AND EDGE).

But if a top DE is there at 16,, we should take him... A great DE can help win a game about as much as any other player,, Now,, I said a great DE.. A sorry DE can help a team lose a couple of games a year... DE is a critical position. !!  IMO,, we should no doubt take the best DE available at 16 .Unless they find one they think would be a better pro like in the 2nd round,, But that just does not usually happen.. possible but no probable .